Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for scaring away seagulls

Hi, i have alot of seagulls nesting around my property and want to get rid of them, i heard green lasers are good but i bought a green 303 laser from ebay and when i shine it at them they dont do anything. please help

it just doesnt seem to scare them. anything else i could try??????????

Hi, i have alot of seagulls nesting around my property and want to get rid of them, i heard green lasers are good but i bought a green 303 laser from ebay and when i shine it at them they dont do anything. please help

it just doesnt seem to scare them. anything else i could try??????????

You are better off with an air gun from what I have read. Birds see lasers kinda like a stick being waved around. They also eventually learn that it won't hit them.

I would also advise against pointing lasers at any living thing... just a thought. I mean it is only a bird... but still.

EDIT: I MEAN A GUN THAT ONLY SHOOTS A LOUD BURST OF AIR. SOUNDS LIKE A SHOTGUN, NO AMMO.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, your advise is a bit strange as you say dont point a laser at a bird just shoot it with my air gun and kill it?

Dcrets

I'm hoping he meant an air horn or something to scare the birds away.

Perfect excuse to buy a drone and retrofit it to look like an eagle...

Lasers are a very dark grey area where legalities are concerned, and usually not super effective either because you can only really affect one bird at a time. Buy a powerful flashlight instead. On strobe mode you'll be able to affect a large area very quickly and won't do any harm. (Blinding a seagull with a laser could very easily be seen as cruelty to animals. In that regard, a pellet guy may be the more humane option. Please check into your local laws, and it would help to know where you are located.)

Encap

JetLasers makes a 30W 532nm scannng laser system for scare away birds at airports---so lasers work under certain conditions----it is however $5,999.00

See it here: Birds Scaring Laser System - JETLASERS.ORG

I imagine scaring birds require a lot more power than a laser 303. Maybe email JetLasers and ask what output power of 532nm PL-E they would suggest for scaring away birds

Last edited:
can you make your property uninviting to them? I'd think that's be the best long term solution. what is drawing them?

can you make your property uninviting to them? I'd think that's be the best long term solution. what is drawing them?

If it's waterfront property there may be no solution, I once lived at the port of Everett marina for a time in an old run down sailboat I bought for $5000, I owned it for 7 years and lived there full time for 3 years, and believe me the seagulls were the biggest problem. They will often nest on any roof near the water, you would be surprised at the other wildlife we had there.

Alan

Actually get a pusher park flyer like the aero bird RC plane ....very easy to fly and maneuver . I have "chased " geese using that.

Ensure prop is in the back not front ....LOL ! That might kill the bird and damage plane (bird hit)!

Hi Steev,
I had a goose issue when i lived at my other home, it had a river in the backyard to that was why they hung out there. I used what they called bird bombs. It's a small pistol and you loaded a22cal.blank into it.hen you inserted a shell in the smooth barrel . To fire it you would pull back the hammer point it into the air and fire the the shell 60 to 70 ft into the air and it would explode with a sound of an M80. Let me tell you very effective and you won't hurt the animals. Basically they will crap there feathers LOL !!

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...BUVIKHYe3AVMQpysIBA&ei=L11cV8ObNIGiyQKH74aYBQ

Rich:)

Last edited:

Thats a good idea but my neighbour feeds the gulls everyday and won't stop doing it, there are now about 50 seagulls that come and wait at her window for her to throw out some food on her flat roof, and they squark while they wait and then fly around crapping everywhere. this is a small town in the uk about a mile from the sea and the seagulls are a pain for everyone.

i tried the laser it didn't work, they didn't even react to it.

i like the idea of a drone. i can't use an air rifle as its too close to other properties

The neighbor would seem to be the problem then. Ask her not to feed the seagulls?

Alternatively if she does, present her with a bill for cleanup.

I'm loath to ever involve the authorities, but in the US at least, feeding wildlife comes with a hefty fine, so maybe the threat of that, after asking nicely would also work.

diachi

Get a big loud speaker, play the sounds of various local predators through it at full blast. Seems to work for the power plant up here (Many city wide outages have been caused by Ravens before that...). :D

IE's suggestion above is good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

The neighbor would seem to be the problem then. Ask her not to feed the seagulls?

Alternatively if she does, present her with a bill for cleanup.

I'm loath to ever involve the authorities, but in the US at least, feeding wildlife comes with a hefty fine, so maybe the threat of that, after asking nicely would also work.
Yes, here in my city its no joke. They will give ticket if you feed a pigeon, seagull period. I believe even meter readers have the authority which is a wannabe dream:whistle:
I can imagine how it is in NY. I know your post was based on wildlife which causes its own issues.

Last edited:
In my area it's mostly an issue in parks because of canadian geese, there are too many of them as it is, literally crapping all over, they feed off of bluegrass apparently, which is very common, and in parks it's even worse because some do feed them.

There are signs all over not to feed wildlife, and I think $250 fine for first offense. Never seen anyone actually get fined though, which is kind of a shame.