Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for Night Club Bouncer

I work at a night club down in New Orleans, and im looking for a simple yet effective green laser to shine a beam across the club to my other bouncers. We use flash lights as of now to get each others attention, but i would like the shine the green beam across to one of them and then also be able to shine the beam in the direction of the disturbance. If anyone knows a reputable site where i can get one of these for a reasonable price let me know. A reasonable price is something under 100 dollars.

Thanks guys.

get a cheap one from dx. the only bad thing i can see about this is that seeing your laser will make customers think they can bring their own lasers which can be very bad. i work in a bar too...

JLSE

Seeing as its for use in such a crowded place, you may want to check local laws. I wouldnt recomend anything over 5mW and can get them quite cheap.

Stay away from the cheap China stuff as it may be more power than 5mW even though rated at 5 or less.

These guys are a good start..

http://www.z-bolt.com/green-laser-pointers.html

Switch

A 5mW should be plenty visible in a club.Dim lights, fog , smoke.....that's if they don't a have a freaky laser show. :p

Switch said:
A 5mW should be plenty visible in a club.Dim lights, fog , smoke.....that's if they don't a have a freaky laser show. :p

Hey Now - I RUN one of those "Freaky Laser Shows" :eek:

Even though I have a ton of lasers (show stuff and handheld) for use in pointing at the shows I carry a cheap-o LED Shoppe 50mW. (we do Karaoke shows as well as music and a green pointer is great to "remind" a singer it's their turn if they aren't listening to the announcements)

I know a lot of people hate the chinese stuff but this thing has been with me forever and it's been dropped, left in the van in -15 temps for days at a crack, spilled on (never really soaked though), and the button has been used a bazillion times and has never failed me - for $25 shipped you can't go wrong.

Obviously, keep it out of anyones eyes though - the added juice of 50mW makes it visible before we haze, and when the clubs fill up with smoke, haze, and our "Freaky Laser Show" it is a VERY commanding beam, believe me, its' presence is known!

http://www.ledshoppe.com

JLSE

BrewCityMusic said:
[quote author=Switch link=1232960337/0#3 date=1232966896]A 5mW should be plenty visible in a club.Dim lights, fog , smoke.....that's if they don't a have a freaky laser show. :p

Hey Now - I RUN one of those "Freaky Laser Shows"  :eek:

Even though I have a ton of lasers (show stuff and handheld) for use in pointing at the shows I carry a cheap-o LED Shoppe 50mW. (we do Karaoke shows as well as music and a green pointer is great to "remind" a singer it's their turn if they aren't listening to the announcements)

I know a lot of people hate the chinese stuff but this thing has been with me forever and it's been dropped, left in the van in -15 temps for days at a crack, spilled on (never really soaked though), and the button has been used a bazillion times and has never failed me - for $25 shipped you can't go wrong.

Obviously, keep it out of anyones eyes though - the added juice of 50mW makes it visible before we haze, and when the clubs fill up with smoke, haze, and our "Freaky Laser Show" it is a VERY commanding beam, believe me, its' presence is known!

http://www.ledshoppe.com[/quote]

If he only needs to flag his staff to get their attention I would still recomend 5mW. 50mW is a bit overkill and can lead to problems if someone gets hit in the face.

Im not questioning the reliability of the lasers from China, but rather the lack of proper IR filtering and a power that is illegal to import and carry in the US, in the first place. Should something happen, a 5mW wont get him or the club owner sued.

Ace82

I would say get something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16960

But I'm not entirely sure that it is less then 5mW, and that's one thing you have to worry about most, is damaging people's eyes! These lasers are cheap, but in my experiences with these "Cheap China DX True Wish lasers" are that the 5mW ones are great. I've had some problems with my typical usage of the higher powered ones.

You might want to check out your local radio shack, but you'll probably be spending more. I would feel comfortable buying from ebay as well for these low powered pointers, but not for the high powered ones.

Ace82

Helioplasma said:
http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?lyraf

That one's the best. IR filtered and 5mW is relatively safe, and you can unfocus the beam so it wont become too overkill.

Anyway DX can't ship to the US now.

That one looks great, and laserglow from what I hear is a great company.  

That one has adjustable beam focus, not sure why you would need that on a 5mW pointer.  :-? But cool.

And I BELIEVE that DX can still sell the 4mW version to the U.S. as it's less then 5mW and is why they even came up with the 4mW version anyway.  Is it actually 4mW?  Probably not, I would guess it's the same O' 5-30mW "luck-of-the-draw" pointer.  

JLSE

Helioplasma said:
http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?lyraf

That one's the best. IR filtered and 5mW is relatively safe, and you can unfocus the beam so it wont become too overkill.

Anyway DX can't ship to the US now.

If you dont mind the wait and cost of having a laser put through customs that is.. Z-Bolt came to mind as they ship fast and the member inquiring is in the US as well. Laserglow is Toronto Canada based.

As a bouncer, he will probably need something quite sturdy, an as the others have said, about 5mW of green laser. Focusable could be useful so that he can project a wider dot maybe, reduce eye risk? 50 mW does seem a bit overkill to me too... :)

To clarify my earlier post, I only suggested the 50mW LED Shoppe pointer if a strong visible beam is what he is looking for along with a low cost and relatively solid build for the price - if all you're after is a dot for pointing and a dim beam, then yes, a 5mW would fit the bill and be a little bit safer (either way though keep it out of eyes, especially if you go with the 50mW)...

Ace82

BrewCityMusic said:
To clarify my earlier post, I only suggested the 50mW LED Shoppe pointer if a strong visible beam is what he is looking for along with a low cost and relatively solid build for the price - if all you're after is a dot for pointing and a dim beam, then yes, a 5mW would fit the bill and be a little bit safer (either way though keep it out of eyes, especially if you go with the 50mW)...

In his 1st post he indicated that he would need it for shining near or at the crowd and at his buddies from across the club. I'd say 5mW if you don't want to risk damaging peoples eyes, even if it's just temporary. :eek:

Razako

Just FYI you can still buy the true 5mw from dx if you live in the US. Notice how it doesn't have the FDA warning on it.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion but here goes anyway. Just stick with the flashlights. You don't have to worry about lots of people with lasers in the club, accidentally blinding someone, or panicking a drunk crowd (they may think it's attached to a gun). Plus if it came down to it a large flashlight could always pull double duty as a club (like the bludgeoning kind not the kind you work in). A laser also is no good for getting a good look at someone. You may come across situations where you need to remember a face and a laser will not give you adequate lighting for that. A flashlight would. In a crowded chaotic environment, pointing a laser around is asking for trouble.

TBH I wonder why you are still discussing this, the OP has not been back online since post 1 ;)

Regards rog8811