Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for frying pest anemones in a reef aquarium

Thanks much Haloblur!

I'm already working on a smoked acrylic shield to block diffuse reflection. I've ordered a couple pairs of Eagle Pair 190-540nm glasses. Are those sufficient to protect my eyes and the eyes of any other observer?

Clownfish.jpg

Problem solved.

Hah, that's my video OP! ;p (make sure to watch in 720p)
I told the guys on the Reefcentral.com Thread about my positive experience on this forum.
The laser in the video is from this thread.
I just received my waterproof 1.2W 445nm from lazerer.com
Time to charge the batteries and fry some pests.
I will update the thread in RC once i get a good video of "waterproof" feature.

also lotus - awesome pic ;p

Last edited:

rcmike

Hah, that's my video OP! ;p (make sure to watch in 720p)
I told the guys on the Reefcentral.com Thread about my positive experience on this forum.
The laser in the video is from this thread.
I just received my waterproof 1.2W 445nm from lazerer.com
Time to charge the batteries and fry some pests.
I will update the thread in RC once i get a good video of "waterproof" feature.

also lotus - awesome pic ;p

Cool! So yours is actually a little less powerful and it still does the job. That is good to know. Somehow I missed the video in that thread but I found it on Youtube.

Survival Laser II - 1800mW 445nm

I can attest that 1800mW works great...

DSC_2073.jpg

DSC_2081.jpg

DSC_2082.jpg

I'll post some before/after photos and video as soon as I get another pair of safety goggles for an observer/photographer. In the interim, if interested you can read my initial review of the use of lasers in marine aquaria here.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance in teaching a bunch of marine aquarium guys a bit about lasers! :thanks:

Last edited:

DTR

This is a pretty neat use for lasers but I am wondering if anyone had tried a single mode 405 laser?

I am just thinking it should be able to burn just as well with 1/3 the power of a 445 since it can focus it's energy into a much tighter area.

Last edited:
Can it damage the laser if the beam is reflected back on itself?

Yes, for this reason you should NOT ever shine the more powerful lasers into street signs. They reflect a LOT of light directly back, at any angle you shine.

but depending on your aquarium glass, i would just make sure it always goes through at an angle, not directly on it.

rcmike

rcmike - i am seeing you everywhere! lol

I hope to get a new underwater video up shortly with my new 1.2W waterproof laser :)

Yeah, I'm pretty much everywhere. :crackup:

I guess with the waterproof laser you could get right in there and get them from all angles. Probably cool the laser a lot better too.

hah yeah - thats what i am waiting to see, how the cooling is affected. I checked all of the seals, but haven't made my first "plunge" yet. I might make the video a little later today. we'll see ;p

Last edited:

rcmike

You probably want to rinse it off real good with freshwater afterwards. You know how corrosive saltwater can be.

CJO

This is a pretty neat use for lasers but I am wondering if anyone had tried a single mode 405 laser?

I am just thinking it should be able to burn just as well with 1/3 the power of a 445 since it can focus it's energy into a much tighter area.

I doubt it. I think that most of us are all laser newbs!

CJ