Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Cigarette Lighter?

There is no secret police outside your door waiting to take your laser. Politicians are not cracking down on laser enthusiasts. Customs could give a crap about lasers.

Yes, they are dangerous. Obviously, pointing a laser at your face is just a stupid idea. But trust me, nobody is after your lasers. There will be no sensationalized headlines about someone being blinded. And if there were, it'd be buried on page 50.

I have several hobbies MUCH more dangerous then lasers, and those hobbies have a legitimate fear of banning and public outcry. But I sometimes think that we over exaggerate our hobby and the dangers. Don't know if it makes us feel cool and rebellious or if people honestly think "they are after our lasers!".

Seriously, I think we call need to calm down.

You could say that about every DYI laser project on this forum.

No, because most DIY projects here don't involve shooting 1 watt of powerful IR laser light into a cigarette while having somebody's face an inch away huffing away.

There is no secret police outside your door waiting to take your laser. Politicians are not cracking down on laser enthusiasts. Customs could give a crap about lasers.

Yes, they are dangerous. Obviously, pointing a laser at your face is just a stupid idea. But trust me, nobody is after your lasers. There will be no sensationalized headlines about someone being blinded. And if there were, it'd be buried on page 50.

Yea that's what it was like right until 98 when two maniacs open up in North Hollywood then Class 3 firearm laws got so tight making it impossible for me to own a car-15 until 7 years latter.

Give a foot, take a mile. It's only a matter of time before somebody will go overboard and something devastating will happen. It started out with green laser snipping (which I was ok with since low powered units pose no threat really) then shutting off street lights (which could be potentially dangerous) followed by using high powered lasers to blast toll route cams and CCTV and etc... See where this is going.

Razako

xJumper said:
Exactly!!! Now we are thinking outside the box. You are a true visionary. :) A filtered window on 3 sides I was thinking, and a tube to insert the cigarette into the beam at a 45 degree angle. No harmful light escaping at all.

Yea if you plan on using your laser "lighter" once or twice before the pigments would degrade then you would have to make another one over and over again. Unless you use some kind of solid barrier then it would only make it even less piratical and if you did use say sheet metal or other materials to block out light completely the whole coolness factor has gone out the door.

It's nice when people think outside the box but the last thing I want is a headline in the local Chronicle saying "Teen blinds half a dozen of his friends with DIY laser cigarette lighter project!" Which I could care less of but the sentences that follow saying "High powered lasers should be banned across the state!" is what will bother me.
The pigments shouldn't degrade unless the beam is directly hitting them. Scattered radiation from the cig shouldn't harm them.

Maybe not in one or two lights as I previously stated but you would be surprised at how much can be reflected especially off white cigarette paper and were not talking about 100mW here, it would take at least 1 watt to do what he wants in a timely manner and eventually this protective shield will wear out without it's operator knowing exposing him and potentially others to large quantities of IR and that's only if it's used right.

Razako

xJumper said:
Maybe not in one or two lights as I previously stated but you would be surprised at how much can be reflected especially off white cigarette paper and were not talking about 100mW here, it would take at least 1 watt to do what he wants in a timely manner and eventually this protective shield will wear out without it's operator knowing exposing him and potentially others to large quantities of IR and that's only if it's used right.
He could just use red diodes and then he'll know when the shield starts to go.

My BR running at 170mA (about 125mW) can light my wifes cigs in about 5-10 seconds.

However she is giving up soon lol.

I am going to use my burner now for when I go on camping trips to light kinderling for fires.

Yeah I know I can use matches or a lighter, but a laser is way more cool.

xJumper said:

X, your opinion is noted. Please stop the argument and move on.

Thanks for your support.

Tech_Junkie said:
I would think with all the tiny burning lasers sold on this board it would be easy to slip it in a zippo sized host. And how much is it worth to have the coolest lighter on the planet?
1eknwx.jpg

What you are seeing is an AixiZ inside my zippo. Point acknowledged.

laserwanabe said:
nice keyboard.

You would need a special battery to fit in the zippo casing.
Heh, thanks.

Regarding the batteries, here is a 3.0v button cell from radioshack inside the zippo:
343_DSC00083.jpg

Here is the button cell above compared to a larger one in height, yet smaller in diameter:
327_DSC00084.jpg

The one on the right is the new button cell which is 1.5v.

It looks as if you could get two 3v button cells in there, which would equal 6v (oh hai i just gawt out oof kindergardunn). With use of a driver, the power should be no problem. You can get these batteries in bulk at certain stores for a pretty cheap price per battery.

xJumper said:
Theres no way to know this without first building a proto-type. I dont smoke or intend to, but seems like a cool idea.

zxn474l said:
how do you load a jpeg image from microsoft paint to this forum?
If you're making fun of my pictures, you can blame my crappy camera. Otherwise, it takes ~1-20 seconds for an image like that to upload to tinypic depending on your internet speed.

zxn474l said:
how do you load a jpeg image from microsoft paint to this forum?
Click the "Reply" button. Just below the text box you will see a "Browse" button. Click that and navigate to your photo. Then click "Post" in it will upload it. It may take a few seconds depending on your upload speed and file size.

Lol, you are out of luck. There is already a patent on a laser cigarette lighter.