Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laptop problem

Well no text at all on the screen with bright light, the computer does absolutly nothing after checking the H.D. initially. I believe it is supposed to turn the display on immediatly after the H.D. check but something is wrong so it stops and does nothing. The computer had not been moved at all for about three weeks prior to this happening, it just sat on my coffee table connected to a crt in an effort to increase the longevity of the lcd, but that didnt help i guess. I dont think this laptop has a display card, I think its part of the main board so I'm pretty screwed if thats the issue. From what I have read ony toshiba can exicute a repair like that. I appreciate the help, I just hope I can recover the H.D. info at the least seeing as I had about 70% of a new laser diode driver design on it. The driver design is a boost driver to utilize a single 1.5v cell to drive a br diode.

jaycey

Does it have a VGA output socket?

Could try an external monitor.
Dont know if you would have to access the graphics settings first though to set the output.

Raybo

Well no text at all on the screen with bright light, the computer does absolutly nothing after checking the H.D. initially. I believe it is supposed to turn the display on immediatly after the H.D. check but something is wrong so it stops and does nothing. The computer had not been moved at all for about three weeks prior to this happening, it just sat on my coffee table connected to a crt in an effort to increase the longevity of the lcd, but that didnt help i guess. I dont think this laptop has a display card, I think its part of the main board so I'm pretty screwed if thats the issue. From what I have read ony toshiba can exicute a repair like that. I appreciate the help, I just hope I can recover the H.D. info at the least seeing as I had about 70% of a new laser diode driver design on it. The driver design is a boost driver to utilize a single 1.5v cell to drive a br diode.

Sounds like a bad GPU.

Open'er up to see if your board has a slot for a video card.

Heres another thing to check. On the bottom of the laptop there should be an access door for to RAM. Open the door up(usually requires a phillips screwdriver), make sure you arent static charged, unclip the RAM module/s remove and reinstall.

Pete

Heres another thing to check. On the bottom of the laptop there should be an access door for to RAM. Open the door up(usually requires a phillips screwdriver), make sure you arent static charged, unclip the RAM module/s remove and reinstall.

Pete

Good tip. Give it a try. This can easilly be the cause of your troubles.
Another thing you could do, is to try to boot into a Linux Live CD....Just to see if it works.

Pete

Well I'll give it a shot and post back with the result, thanks for the help!

I took out both rams and replaced them but no dice:/ what do you guys think about small repair shops ive never really had to use one before, or actully not been able to fix somthing myself now that i think about it (damb pos). Well if not i guess it would have to go back to toshiba to be fixed. Oh well phone internet for now, better than some places in china:) thanks for the help guys!

I am typing this from my computer, which I have loaded. The strangest part of this is that sometimes, if I turn it on and off over and over again, it will eventually boot properly. When it does not boot, nothing at all displays on the screen, but the hard drive is working properly. The RAM is obviously working properly, or I wouldn't be able to use the computer occasionally. I believe it is the display.

And yes, this computer has had water damage and possibly physical damage, and that was the root of the problem. It got some ocean spray on it, which is likely the reason. It has also been handled roughly, unfortunately, as someone else was unloading my bags carelessly.

-Mark