Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laptop problem

rocketparrotlet

My laptop has been having problems recently. I can turn on the computer, and the lights indicate it is on, but I can't see anything on the screen. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite (I can get the exact model number if necessary). Rarely, after dozens of attempts, it might boot up properly, and then it will function normally until it goes into sleep mode or I turn it off, and then I can't boot it again. I read support threads on laptop forums and discovered that other people were having the same problems as me. The solution was to download a new BIOS, which I did. The computer is still having trouble only a week later. Please help!

-Mark

Drivinfast247

What OS are you running? How old is the laptop? And when did this start?

Pete

rocketparrotlet

I'm running Windows Vista. I bought the laptop about 2 years and 3 months ago new. These problems started in the beginning of December, got better for a couple weeks, and began to get more serious in the past couple of weeks.

-Mark

Drivinfast247

I was thinking driver problems but since it happens before POST it may be a hardware issue. Very strange, let me think about this for a bit and Ill get back with you.

PS. Are you sure the BIOS flash took? Double check the version number just to be sure.

Pete

phoenix77

The Toshiba Satellite Lap-top that I have, has a screen brightness adjustment dial on it. Maybe that dial has developed a problem (if your model PC has this feature).

Raybo

Sounds like a cold boot problem usually associated with a bad power supply.

Scythe001

If its going to sleep on you, I'd be high suspicious of a power supply issue. I would begin by checking to see that your battery is charged or capable of being charged. Does it have problems when plugged into the AC adapter? If so, a couple things to check is the adapter overheating or otherwise making a bad connection with the power port of the laptop.

Also, I found that alot of boot problems I had were associated with a bad hard drive - this is also usually coupled with system freezes. A fix might be reinstalling your OS (be sure to save important files!).

rocketparrotlet

It is probably not a power supply issue, because the battery charges properly and it works with or without a charger plugged in. When I plug the charger in, the "connected" and "adapter" lights turn on, and when I unplug the charger, they turn off. It is also not going to sleep or freezing on me, it just won't turn back on most of the time, but the lights will show that it is turned on.

How can I reinstall my OS? It came with the computer. I checked the BIOS- it is installed correctly.

-Mark

Ramsey_innovations

I am having the same issue with my satellite a-135. I was running windows media player (file from hard drive) on a crt with the display on the crt only (the lcd off) when it suddenly stopped playing. The screen froze displaying random code in the form a matrix and the audio held the last plaed tone. I promply shut down the computer by holding the power button. Now when I try to boot up, the on/off indicator light illuminates and then I can hear the the hard drive check once as the indicator light flashes but nothing else happens, no display at all, no other noise from the hard drive either. The disk drive has power and will eject and the cooling fan runs for several seconds after the power is turned on before it stops. My guess is that it's a hardware issue most likely the crappy intel(R) graphics media accelerator. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? Thanks!

Raybo

Mark,

If your computer is still not booting up I wouldn't worry about a reinstall of your OS YET, it still sounds like a power problem to me but I could be wrong. :thinking:
You also said you DL'ed a new bios, how did you go about flashing your chip?
Does your hard drive light stay on after power up?

Last edited:

Scythe001

It is probably not a power supply issue, because the battery charges properly and it works with or without a charger plugged in. When I plug the charger in, the "connected" and "adapter" lights turn on, and when I unplug the charger, they turn off. It is also not going to sleep or freezing on me, it just won't turn back on most of the time, but the lights will show that it is turned on.

How can I reinstall my OS? It came with the computer. I checked the BIOS- it is installed correctly.

-Mark

Reinstalling the OS may be an option for you. (I wouldn't do it just yet but..) If your computer did not come with a recovery disk when you bought it, it is probably because it came with a recovery partition or hard drive. Each manufacturer has its own special key to activate the recovery partition on startup. In the case of my HP laptop, I think its by pressing F10 or F11 while the computer is starting up. You might need to call Toshiba or google it to find out what that key would be.

Before you do that, however, I am curious to know if absolutely anything at all appears on your screen while the laptop is starting up. Does the BIOS icon show up? Something like "TOSHIBA (R)" or another company name ought to appear on the screen before the computer loads the Operating system. If you do not see this when you normally would, its probably suggestive of an issue greater than just the operating system. I would advise you to check the BIOS again if that is the case.

Aside from this, did the computer ever suffer any physical or water damage?

Ramsey_innovations

In my case im not getting anything on the screen at all, not even a flash. Ive tried without the battery, ac adapter only but no change. I took the computer apart to check for burt component or loose ground connection but evereything checked out and no burt smell. I put it back together and nothing has changed, no display and the hard drive just flashes once. Any ideas.