Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Language questions. Please read and answer.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

Select the options that suit you. (check only 2 options)

• Total voters
English is the only language that I speak. I have the utmost respect for people who have taken the time to learn additional languages... especially if one of them is American English.

My wife is from eastern Europe and speaks several languages. She says that English is very confusing to learn... "It just doesn't make much sense compared to the others "

@ T_W...

You want the learn something really confusing... try French...
Every single thing is a he or a she... and 9 freaking verbs...:eek:

I can read it... but lucky I only write English...:evil:

I guess if you've learned to walk backwards all your life then
walking forwards then it just doesn't make much sense .

Jerry

Last edited:
I'm impressed with anybody here who doesn't speak English as their first language, English is really screwy and it can't be easy learning an entire language and being fluent. There are a lot of members here that English isn't their native language, and although they usually speak great, I can usually pick out that English isn't their native language from their use of in/on and what/which.

I'm in my second year of Spanish, and I know I'm not near ready to go to a Spanish forum and try to communicate. The most I could probably do in Mexico is order some food, describe people, and also swear people out (thanks to the help of Niko ;) )

I think it would be really cool if the whole world only spoke one language. Imagine how much more it would connect, with or without the internet.

I want to ask you two things:

Is English your main language?
How many languages can you speak?
What languages can you speak?

Did you purposely type "two" questions when you posted 3? Or was that an actual mistake

I think proper language should be maintained in civilization but also fun to do your own thing... the problem is when it starts to purge your memory of what proper language should be. They end up forgetting it. Then you get words that are made up and all kinds of mistakes. Like when someone says ... Epic Fail. It should be ... An epic failure or Her epic failure. Note that I said "her" heheh. But anyways ... hahaha.... you get what I .... hahahahaha ... am saying. Ahem...:D

English is my native language, and I took 3 years of Spanish in school and I'm on my first year of French. Lasersbee is right.. French is a bit confusing, compared to Spanish at least. I forgot most of my Spanish though :thinking:

Rob

English is my native language, and I took 3 years of Spanish in school and I'm on my first year of French. Lasersbee is right.. French is a bit confusing, compared to Spanish at least. I forgot most of my Spanish though :thinking:

French is very confusing compared to Spanish. I remember going from a French class to a Spanish and being amazed at how much easier Spanish was. At least grammar wise, IMHO.

D

Deleted member 8382

@Lasersbee: if using he/or she for every noun sounds confusing for you imagine in German. They have 3 types: male/female/neutral! I took German lessons for 3 years and although I could probably have a short conversation with a German guy I'm not counting it since I just can't use it properly. Also, it's not only French who have he/she for everything, I think English is just the only language that doesn't haha (Spanish and Catalan do it to). And about the 9 verb modes, well, I ensure you this is nothing. Spanish have up to 20 of them (same as Catalan). I already said English is about the easiest language for anyone willing to learn one.

@styropyro: I hope you understand where my offense come from now xD

Yours,
Albert

@Lasersbee: if using he/or she for every noun sounds confusing for you imagine in German. They have 3 types: male/female/neutral! I took German lessons for 3 years and although I could probably have a short conversation with a German guy I'm not counting it since I just can't use it properly. Also, it's not only French who have he/she for everything, I think English is just the only language that doesn't haha (Spanish and Catalan do it to). And about the 9 verb modes, well, I ensure you this is nothing. Spanish have up to 20 of them (same as Catalan). I already said English is about the easiest language for anyone willing to learn one.

Not true. We have Hermaphrodite :p Oh and don't forget A-sexual

D

Deleted member 8382

Yeah I now remember, words like "crazyjay" are of that kind right? :crackup:

Grix

Americans and British people should learn other languages in school as regular people do :)