Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Kony 2012

Is it wrong I would rather help save stray animals then help some 3rd world country? I feel more saddened when i see a stray dog over a bum. I feel the bum had more control over the outcome of his/her life over a dog who was actually created to be a companion to humans.

So help out the stray:whistle:

The point to take away from this movie is that people... YOU have the power to act.

If you act to bring about positive change, whether in volunteering with the aspca, a soup kitchen, or by demonstrating so an uncaring government is forced to act, any positive influence you exert is good.

Just remember the old quote... All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Is it wrong I would rather help save stray animals then help some 3rd world country? I feel more saddened when i see a stray dog over a bum. I feel the bum had more control over the outcome of his/her life over a dog who was actually created to be a companion to humans.

It's not "wrong."

It just exposes how callus we have become to the suffering of others

Movies (and the entertainment industry in general) bear a great responsibility for this.

Horror films have desensitized us to humans being hurt and/or killed

In a film, if a man is torn apart by dogs, the audience cheers at the special effects and emotional catharsis

However, if a man beats a dog, the audience cries out in outrage and calls for the punishment of the man

There are an ever increasing number of examples where someone abusing a dog, gets longer jail time than someone abusing their spouse or child

Peace,
dave

Sadly that's not true. In pretty much every state your pet is property, not a living creature. Only in extreme cases do they get any jail time. Even micheal Vick went to prison not for "abusing" dogs, but for running an illegal gambling operation, extortion and some tax evasion over the money he made. I see countless cases where the person just receives a citation and their not allowed to own animals anymore. You get in more trouble for pushing your wife against the wall then beating your animal to death.

Last edited:
Sadly that's not true. In pretty much every state your pet is property, not a living creature. Only in extreme cases do they get any jail time. Even micheal Vick went to prison not for "abusing" dogs, but for running an illegal gambling operation, extortion and some tax evasion over the money he made. I see countless cases where the person just receives a citation and their not allowed to own animals anymore. You get in more trouble for pushing your wife against the wall then beating your animal to death.

Exactly the point of my post :(

Peace,
dave

No I get it, you just used false info to get your point across. That doesn't really make a valid point.

No worries, everyone is different. Take care. Btw I help homeless people just as much as I do stray dogs. Please don't think I just don't give a crap about humans, I just Care equally about all species.

Last edited:

how does a 10 year old starving kid with no parents or people to protect him/her get the label "bum" :thinking:

No worries, everyone is different. Take care. Btw I help homeless people just as much as I do stray dogs. Please don't think I just don't give a crap about humans, I just Care equally about all species.

This is NOT for us to argue about.
It is just something for you to consider
I have this conversation in about 70% of my public speaking classes

You do NOT care equally about ALL species
ALL humans create their own, individual hierarchy of life
We then draw arbitrary lines on that hierarchy

Take the time to list all of the different species you can think of in a 20 minute period
Then sort them out into your personal hierarchy (which species are more "important" than other species)

When you finish that, go through and draw your "lines"

Up to what level is it OK to commit mass murder using chemical weapons? (virii? cockroaches? rats?)
At what level is it OK to kill for food? (cows? rabbits? )
At what level is it OK to kill on an individual basis when the animal is "bothering" you? (coyote? bear? crow?)
At what level is it only OK to kill when the animal is threatening you or an innocent? (snake? dog? cat? lion?)
At what level should we stop treating them like animals? (pets? )
At what level should we protect them if it is not too much trouble or costly? (pets? cows? sparrows?)
At what level should we protect them at any cost? (pets? people?)
What if that cost was a human life?

You may have other "lines."
These are just the ones that I thought of while typing this.

It may not change anything about your life (although it could)
It is just something that I believe most people never actually figure out about themselves and can help them make informed decisions about how they react to the world

Peace,
dave

Well in my books if you are homeless you ate call a bum. It's just old fashion term, not trying to be offensive. Guess I should have said "homeless", my mistake sorry.

There's thousands of homeless kids in America. They get overcasted every day. Yet as soon as someone post aaas story about another 3rd world country people jump all over it. I would rather help my homeless 10 yr old around the corner is all saying.

@ daguin yes that is a fair statement. I gues I didn't take into account every "species" when I said that. You are correct there.

Last edited:
Mans' inhumanity to man goes back to Cain & Able. We can spend every dollar we have into these areas and all we appear to do is feed the dictator so he can make more havoc on the people. The dictator keeps it that way so the citizens are kept busy finding a days food.
America is now in debt trying to help these peoples who allowed themselves to be disarmed and trashed. At least WE have the 2nd ammendment ( for a short while) to hopefully prevent what we see elswhere. Our government is here and now arming all law enforcement agencies to the max. WHY?
HMike

Why are WE putting drone aircraft into America now?

Last edited:
Well in my books if you are homeless you ate call a bum. It's just old fashion term, not trying to be offensive. Guess I should have said "homeless", my mistake sorry.

There's thousands of homeless kids in America. They get overcasted every day. Yet as soon as someone post aaas story about another 3rd world country people jump all over it. I would rather help my homeless 10 yr old around the corner is all saying.

@ daguin yes that is a fair statement. I gues I didn't take into account every "species" when I said that. You are correct there.

im sorry i dont agree this country has plently of programs to help the kids welfare etc. if a kid cannot afford food the public schools will give them free breakfast and lunch.

i would much rather help kids that have no hope they are being abducted raped murdered forced to become addicted to drugs. their parents were raped and killed when their village was attacked. they have to live of the land untill the rebels catch them.

a good book "a long way gone"

Our government is here and now arming all law enforcement agencies to the max.

As a photographer who's been detained by SWAT in the normal course of my work... yeah, this scares me. There are few things as unnerving as eight assault rifles pointed at you.

@daguin: That's an interesting exercise... I'd never thought to take that idea quite so literally. I'll have to do this tomorrow during lunch or something.

Trevor

Back