Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kipkay's new laser

Ace82

#7 Please explain on your "instructable" video that there are more then one laser diode and you have to make sure to use the correct one. ;D
#8 When making a video presenting such an idea, you are creating many more noobies to come to LPF wanting to be "spoon-fed" all their answers which you left out. ;D

Ace82 said:
There was another thread about the "build a blue laser.com", someone made it in the blu-ray section a couple months back I think was named "this is funny" or something. As it seems, it is easy to confuse the not so educated laser enthusiast about the difference between violet "blu-ray" and DPSS blue lasers. It is a huge scam, making people pay way too much money for a 405nm laser by comparing them to WL Sonar, and 473nm DPSS systems, which just so happen to be blue. And Kipkay probably reads up on these forums just doesn't post anything and it seems he's using the DDL LM37 driver. Although he uses a driver in this video, he still leaves out the essentials.

This is where he is wrong:
#1. Don't destroy a x-box 360 HD-DVD drive. Get a sled (not a "blue diode assembly") from a seller or GB here at LPF.
#2. Don't spend so much time making such a great James Bond intro, and spend more time showing the most difficult part, while explaining how difficult it is to successfully extract the violet diode from it's sled and please explain how fragile these diodes are because the likelihood that someone will break it is extremely high.
#3. Don't go to w-w.build-a-blue-lser.com EVER. Go to LPF.
#4. The Aixiz housing as he described in his first "Blu-ray laser phaser" can be acquired from Aixiz or ebay, not buildabluelaser.com.
#5. >8 Volts?
#6. Select a different hosts. That gun is just stupid.

Kipkay = [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
i like yours betters than his, or you can save all that money and just buy a pre-made module from someone on the forums for a lot less

FireMyLaser said:
At least I found it entertaining as always ::) I watch Kipkay's videos to get ideas, not to exactly follow them. He just sux at making good DIY-videos for noobs.

The reason why he talked about "build a blue laser.com" was because they must have sponsored him or whatever. And the "DDL driver circuit" is as old as the LM317-IC itself, don't be so surprised. Infact I believe there's a example of it in the data sheet.

Edit: Btw, he soldered on the red/ir diode! ;D

Yeah... I've got a National Linear Data Book in the shop that I cut my teeth on...
that has an LM317 1 Amp Current Regulator schematic in the app notes....
and it is dated 1976... :eek:

Switch

Well don't be so surprised.He's doing it all for the money now.He's making a pretty good buck out of all of this. ::)

Switch said:
Well don't be so surprised.He's doing it all for the money now.He's making a pretty good buck out of all of this. ::)
yea, its kinda sad though, im sure most of his projects work, but some of them, not so much. he does all the online videos for Make Magazine, so you know hes pullin in the bucks

Switch

Yea, but his older videos are just fun or even useful stuff you can do with easily obtainable items.No advertising, no make-magazine.But oh well.I can't say I blame him that much.In our eyes his video is an abomination because we struggle to perfect our lasers, but he probably doesn't see it that way, and it's not because he's evil. ;D

Switch said:
Yea, but his older videos are just fun or even useful stuff you can do with easily obtainable items.No advertising, no make-magazine.But oh well.I can't say I blame him that much.In our eyes his video is an abomination because we struggle to perfect our lasers, but he probably doesn't see it that way, and it's not because he's evil. ;D
i just wonder if he actually makes some of those things himself, or if Make Magazine just sends him the pieces in the different steps

Ace82

Switch said:

Evil = manipulated facts/ideas, even suggestions to some degree.  His video is nothing more then a suggestion, that if you don't know about diy lasers, then this is super easy, guaranteed blue laser burning action!  He doesn't say ANYTHING about how fragile these diodes are, and that they're not even blue, that they are violet, and how easy it is to break them during extraction.  If he were to be speaking TRUTH, then he would not be evil, but then it would also be a completely different video, because the truth is that he is taking advantage of people's ignorance instead of enlightening them.  BUT, that's a HUGE part of today's business, and everybody needs to feed their family.  If he explained what's involved in the diode extraction as well as he explained how to rip appart the xbox 360 drive, then many people would be intimidated. What it is, is bait to a money trap.  Now tell me that's not evil.  In a world full of evil, it has become very common.  

lol i commented saying it's not blue, it's violet, and here's the response i got

"stfu because it called a bluray movie to and they use a "blue diode" because that is what is called uncle fucker. SO STFU!"

lol stupid people.

Benm

Artix said:
But don't forget. There are blue diodes.

Really? Where?

And by that, i dont mean something in a research lab, but something actually available?

As far as i know the only way to true blue are dpss or argon, but neither are diode lasers.

On Kipkay's Instructables guide for the 16x he did say to use a driver. Although he does make his videos way too short. 5 seconds or less for every step, and all that rushed talking. :eek:

Benm said:
[quote author=Artix link=1226879458/0#5 date=1226883207]But don't forget. There are blue diodes.

Really? Where?

And by that, i dont mean something in a research lab, but something actually available?

As far as i know the only way to true blue are dpss or argon, but neither are diode lasers. [/quote]

You can buy blue laser diodes from several manufacturers. Nichia has engineering samples available anywhere up to 488nm, and I think production available up to 473nm. You can check their website to be sure of those exact numbers, but blue has been made and manufactured, and can be mass produced up to certain power levels (not as high in power as violet). It hasn't been mass produced because there's no market for them without having a green diode as well (RGB for laser-based displays and projectors). Once green diodes become viable, then blue and green will both be mass produced for displays and projectors. So yes, they exist, and can be manufactured, but aren't because there's not a market YET.

Benm

Well.. i know they exist, but i've never actually seen one available for purchase at any price. I've heard models at 445 nm have been produced, which is a great and very visible wavelength.

Availability is so bad they might as well be on pluto though.

Ace82

Well, with the introduction of Laser Projector TV's... maybe the future is closer then we think...

Nichia's available products: http://www.nichia.com/product/laser-main.html

Engineering samples actually go up to "468-478", not 488, my bad.  And like at expensive restaurants, the price isn't listed, which to me implies "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" because it's small quantities.  The blue diodes at high wavelengths might even be on nonpolar or semipolar substrates, which puts it in a completely different price bracket from the 405nm diodes we're getting from optical storage drives.

But availability is all relative.  They're not <$50 like the violet diodes because they're not being mass produced, and they're not being mass produced because there's no market yet.  Once green works, there will be a market for blue and green.  And until then, there's no market for them, so anything you want to buy is a one-off special run that's crazy expensive.  So, they're available in small quantities to anyone who wants them and who has the dough.  None of us do, so they're not available to us.  Private jets aren't available to me either, since I don't have the cash, but they're still perfectly available in other places to other people who do have the money.  

----------------------------------------------------

The laser TVs out now use a DPSS system or a funky equivalent.  Once direct injection diodes become available, that's what the displays will go towards, and displays will become more ubiquitous instead of that one model that one manufacturer has built (Mitsubishi, I think).

ETA: typo fixed, transposed 2 numbers