Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kipkay's new laser

JLSE

:-?

"Our goal at Build a Blue Laser .Com
Blue Lasers are the newest type of lasers available on the market. The spectacular blue color far out shines any green or red lasers on the market. The short wavelength makes the beam visible in mid air in dark conditions, it also causes the laser to act like a black light making many substances glow. Because of their rarity and spectacular nature blue lasers are extremely expensive. They go for as much as $2000 online, even the cheapest go for $750. We believe that this is an absurd price to pay. We offer the advice and parts required to build your own vibrant blue laser pointers for under $70. We have compiled many of the guides and knowledge spread across the web to assist you in your project."

^LOL @ "We feel it's a rip off to overcharge you for laser parts, so we're going to overcharge you for laser parts!"

Benm

Oh well, if they extract it for you can verify its still operation after, $50 isn't that far fetched is it? I guess we LPF'ers enjoy ripping a drive apart to obtain a diode, but many people might not and pay extra to have just the part they need.

And as far as blue goes... many peopel call blu-ray lasers blue, probably because borderline-invisible-uv doesnt market that well ;p

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
He didn't specify what current to drive the diode. Nor did he use any heatsinking. :-/

He did, its just that its an axiz module and should be fine if you keep the current low enough.
They say its a 150mW CW blue laser diode but that is not so. :p Yes, you can run them at 150mWs but really its not gonna last long at that power.
The fact that he actually used a driver this time is quite amazing though. ;D This is actually very good for kipkay.Even if he didn't specify the current.
--hydro15

the driver he used, isn't the schematic from a comment on his indestructible? someone said it wouldn't work without a driver and posted a schematic. and if i remember correctly the person who posted the comment was someone from the forums.

btw kipkay isn't known for making anything that lasts very long, so its probably a good thing his DIYs are relatively inexpensive.

$50? god... n once sumone burns out the diode theyll just be buying another... what a waste

Switch

They go for as much as $2000 online, even the cheapest go for $750
Cheapest for $750? O RLY? ::) Well it's probably his site, or someone paid him a bunch to advertise like that.And the schematic for the driver is Daedal's LM317 design lol. ;D

I'm surprised it took him this long.Much of his fame is from the laser video.And the PHR's capabilities were discovered here. ;D I'm surprised he didn't check this place earlier for new DIY laser updates.We've known about the PHR sleds since what? may? :-/

Btw, kipkay has an account here.He just made it to discuss a topic about one of his videos. ::)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=Kipkay

you guys should email him and teach him the ropes !

Second thought , i dont think it would be in the best interest to have people making 150mw lasers all over the place without proper saftey and knowledge

Ace82

There was another thread about the "build a blue laser.com", someone made it in the blu-ray section a couple months back I think was named "this is funny" or something. As it seems, it is easy to confuse the not so educated laser enthusiast about the difference between violet "blu-ray" and DPSS blue lasers. It is a huge scam, making people pay way too much money for a 405nm laser by comparing them to WL Sonar, and 473nm DPSS systems, which just so happen to be blue. And Kipkay probably reads up on these forums just doesn't post anything and it seems he's using the DDL LM37 driver. Although he uses a driver in this video, he still leaves out the essentials.

This is where he is wrong:
#1. Don't destroy a x-box 360 HD-DVD drive. Get a sled (not a "blue diode assembly") from a seller or GB here at LPF.
#2. Don't spend so much time making such a great James Bond intro, and spend more time showing the most difficult part, while explaining how difficult it is to successfully extract the violet diode from it's sled and please explain how fragile these diodes are because the likelihood that someone will break it is extremely high.
#3. Don't go to w-w.build-a-blue-lser.com EVER. Go to LPF.
#4. The Aixiz housing as he described in his first "Blu-ray laser phaser" can be acquired from Aixiz or ebay, not buildabluelaser.com.
#5. >8 Volts?
#6. Select a different hosts. That gun is just stupid.

Kipkay = [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

At least I found it entertaining as always ::) I watch Kipkay's videos to get ideas, not to exactly follow them. He just sux at making good DIY-videos for noobs.

The reason why he talked about "build a blue laser.com" was because they must have sponsored him or whatever. And the "DDL driver circuit" is as old as the LM317-IC itself, don't be so surprised. Infact I believe there's a example of it in the data sheet.

Edit: Btw, he soldered on the red/ir diode! ;D