Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Killing my lasers, need help!

Hey everyone,
So I've got a bit of a laser collection going so far, but I have a problem.
This has happened with my two most expensive lasers, and it's really frustrating me now.
Both these lasers had the whole body-pill-head-crown assembly. I love how it fits together, but on both of these lasers, I have closed it up, just to find the laser no longer working. I open it up, and found that when I closed the assembly, the module twisted just enough to break the diode legs.
I'm tired of throwing money away, how do you all put your hosts together to avoid this?
Thank you,
Alessandro

How short are the diode pins? Is there enough left to solder to? They might be salvageable.

You can find tips on how to avoid this by searching the forum.

No, they broke right at the bottom in both cases. Otherwise I would have been up all night trying to salvage them.

daguin

The assembly on different hosts are different.

IMO they should be designed to avoid needing to twist up wiring by screwing on a head

What host(s) are you working with?

Pictures would help

Peace,
dave

Is it a set screw for the module? Are the heat sink and pill separate. You have to hold the heat sink while you screw it all into the host so it doesn't twist... Take some pics and post them.

One host is the Survival Laser S4, and the other is very similar.
sl4lha_parts_horiz.jpg

Both hosts have a heat sink with a set screw, and separate heat sink and pill.

Just make the wires a little longer (to the diode from the pill) and as you are screwing in the pill, turn the whole assembly including heat sink and black tube (don't actually screw this on though) that fits over the heat sink. Once the pill is in place, you can then screw on the black sleeve for the heat sink by allowing the heat sink to either dangle out of it (be careful if you do this support the heat sink) or by holding the heat sink fast so it cant move. Just make sure the heat sink doesn't move whilst you put it on.

There is another way again leave the wires a little longer, so that the module passes out the front of the heat sink, and don't attach the module until the very end. This way the module is free to rotate whilst you screw everything together. At the end it is simple to add some heat sink compound and fix the module with the grub screw.

Best advice is just go very slowly and if you feel any resistance or see anything that is stuck ie not freely turning then stop, go back and figure out why. Good luck :beer:

Last edited:
There is a video on how to assemble this host made by a member here. It shows how to screw the heat sink and pill by holding both sides with your thumb and finger and turning with your other hand? I couldn't seam to find it last night. If anyone knows what I'm talking about it might help him out...
-Shane

Twisting the crown on is what breaks it for me. I can't really stop the heatsink from twisting, especially since the S4 has a rubber ring inside the crown.

IsaacT

Remove the lens of the diode module and press your thumb tightly against the opening in the module. Thread the crown on carefully.

IsaacT

That is how I do it everytime :) gives good traction :beer: