Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Killed my first diode

I must have killed... 8x 445s, 2x 12xs, 3x PHRs, 5+ LPCs, and WAY too many IR diodes.

Just killed another lpc-826... this time I set my flexdrive with my test load still on the blu-ray setting. I ended up pumping it with about 800ma... dammit :mad:

I guess you have to learn somehow.

beat this mo fos!!

Attachments

• destroyed-diodes.jpg
    destroyed-diodes.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 135
only a millisecond each.

hehe

honestly guys... I 'Stole' that pic from the LASORB page at Pangolin..these are some of the diodes the killed testing and developing the LASORB diodes protectors-- not mine

Last edited:
I've got that exact mastech power supply... it works great. I killed the first diode by shorting it accidentally and the second by pumping it with too much current (I think?)

I'm sort of starting to question the reason for the second diode's death, though. I was using a micro flexdrive from Clif's store (cajunlasers) and I set the current beforehand with too many diodes on my test load. However, I just looked at the test load, set it to four diodes (which I read was the right number for red diodes?) and ran 4v through the flex drive again and got the same current reading I was getting before... 450mA. Is this too high for an LPC-826? It LED'd almost instantly with that current from the flexdrive, I thought they were supposed to be able to take up to 500mA?

I've got two more LPC-826's on the way, so hopefully I can get one of them to work. I'm building a nice little maglite solitaire red laser. I realized there's not much heatsinking so I'm going to lower it to ~350mA, but still I don't understand why the diode blew so quickly.

I first tried it with my power supply, cranked the current up to 450ma, and it ran fine for the ~10 seconds I had it on. It was in an aixiz module which was being held by a large vice grip, so I think the heatsinking was adequate in that case.

Directly after that, I hooked it up to my flexdrive, which I had set to 450ma using my test load, and right when I fed 4v into the flexdrive with my power supply the diode flashed on for about half a second then LED'd (I.E. it dimmed significantly and no longer lased in a straight path.

I am sure that when I set the flexdrive that time I used six silicon diodes by accident, so I thought that that was the cause, but I re-tested the flexdrive without changing anything today with four silicon diodes and it was still spot on at 450mA.

So it's still a mystery to me as to why this diode blew. I guess I'll just have double/triple check my connections and everything for shorts and make sure I'm running the exact right current. What would you recommend for an LPC-826 that doesn't have too much heatsinking besides the body of the maglite solitaire host? Is 350ma OK? 400?

I Have already kill:

5x 445nm Diodes
8x LPC-826
2x 12x 405nm
And couple of these cheap Diodes.

Wow yo i am awaiting a lpc-826 & Phr With heatsink modules & now you scaring me ill look around for help:wave:
& What is the safest current for the lpc?

Last edited: