Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kenom's laser meter impressions and pictures

Amnizu

I just received my Kenometer (as I call it) in the mail, via UPS, and I have to say, it's very slick. It's a little bit smaller than I expected, but this is by no means a bad thing. It's small, slick and very professional-looking.

On the right-hand side where the power cord plugs in (a standard computer power cord, by the way) is a switch to turn it on and off. On the front are three things: the sensor itself, a small knob which turns left and right, and the LED display. The small knob is how you zero the meter according to whatever temperature it is in your room or garage or workshop, wherever you do your metering.

Mine is still very cold to the touch from being on the UPS truck all day, so it's being a little bit weird with regard to zeroing. It seems to want to sit at -0.001 instead of zeroing, but this is hardly an issue since I can add that 1 back to the total, as well as waiting a few hours for the meter to come to room temperature. Once the meter is at room temperature instead of being cold to the touch, this will stop being an issue.

It took me longer to find a power cord in my messy house than it did to actually get this thing set up and working. Once I had the cord plugged in and the switch flipped, the bright LED display turned on right away and began to take readings of the surrounding environment, because it's a thermal meter.

Not only is it a very good laser meter, but if you so desire you can test things like your finger for their rated mW output. Mine is about 534mW at the moment. My Surefire LED flashlight at 30 lumens reads higher than my WL Fusion does, according to this baby.

All in all, I'm very happy with this meter, even though UPS charged me $40 for importing it. I'd do it again in a second, this thing is totally worth it.

Pictures taken on my kitchen counter:

The meter itself, from the front

From the side, showing the power switch and cord

Testing my Wickedlasers Fusion with a GIGANTIC scratch on the lens (and practically dead batteries)

This is the 'dot' my Fusion produces right now:

Kenometer... that's a great name for it! Mine's on the way as well. Thx for posting the pix!

I guess I better scrounge an old power cord as well before it gets here... :D

Cheers, CC

Amnizu

I can't take credit for the name, BlueFusion came up with it but I like to think I use it more often so am contributing more toward making it a common term, thus becoming the king of the word kenometer; through this new authority I will banish him from my wordly kingdom.

Switch

That looks very nice.I wish I could afford one :-[ Anyway, good luck on becoming the king of the word kenometer :D

On another note: If you concentrated all your finger heat into a tiny spot, could you light a match with your finger? :-/

Geez... does that mean that I have to always type "Kenometer®" ? :D

I'd hate to try collimating my finger IR... lemme know how that works out for ya! ;D

CC

Razako

Switch said:
That looks very nice.I wish I could afford one :-[ Anyway, good luck on becoming the king of the word kenometer :D

On another note: If you concentrated all your finger heat into a tiny spot, could you light a match with your finger? :-/
I have heard that the average person gives off about as much heat as a 90 watt light bulb. If it was all concentrated in a tiny spot it could easily burn things.

Hey,
 :eek:

I called it a Kenometer as well a few weeks ago at LE.  ;D
(Still awaiting on mine, but should be here this week?)
I don't recall seeing it listed by anyone prior, but it is always possible as I am up late some nights messing around out here.  :-/
So I guess I could have seen it and sub-conciously retyped it that way?
Hey BF, do you know a date when you first called it that?
I don't care to claim any title holding here, I just thought it funny if we did both just call it that on our own.  :)
Though when you think about it, it is a very sensable name for it!

Thanks Guys,
      Joe

;)

Milos

nice to know! I will be getting one as well. I need to have two different ways of testing laser's power. Right now its all in hands of my good old LaserCheck.
Thanks for posting.

Hehe I came up with the term on IRC when Kenom was still waiting for parts... month or so ago.

chimo

Does anyone know if the black coating on the thermopiles are sensitive to oils from skin?

Hey Chimo, that's a damn good question...

You would think that the coating would be very matte to absorb as much energy as possible, which would make it quite likely to trap finger oils in the microscopic crevasses. That being said, what would be the best way to clean this surface if it should become dirty? Isotropic alcohol maybe?

I think I'm going to create a protective cover for the opening to avoid contamination by dust and vapours. Thanks for asking that question! :)

Cheers, CC

Kenom

Yes this thing most assuradly asorbs oils from your hand. Generally not a good idea to actually touch the sensor repeatedly on these things. Now that's not to say i havn't touched the sensor myself. As a matter of fact, while assembling these that is how I knew I had everything hooked up and running when it went from -1 to 350! The feel of the sensor has to be experienced so don't feel bad if you do it. However continued exposure to oils from your hands will not be a good thing and I honest have no clue how to clean them if they get dirty. Hehe certainly not ISOTROPIC OR ISOPROPYL alcohol. ( just teasing CC there)

D'oh!

I'm surprised I didn't type "Imsosleepy Alcohol", it was a bit late for me... :D So does the alcohol leave trace elements when it evaporates? I use it to clean lots of things, (tape heads, laser drums, etc.) so you really think it wouldn't work on the sensor head?

Cheers, CC

Amnizu

Isotropic alcohol sounds trippy, maaaan.

I don't think touching the sensor once or twice will affect output readings very much, if at all. At least, I haven't noticed any problems. I'm not gonna make a habit of touching all over the sensor, but I don't think once or twice will destroy the accuracy of your readings.