Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

KD no lasers to USA

KD has also put the laser ban for shipping to the U.S. but not on all there lasers, I guess some of them they can ship that are >5mw

Sweet. I know it sucks for the members in the hobby who have trouble affording the likes of Nova, but think how much good this is going to do with lasers being prohibitively expensive for the casual laser fan. This should, hopefully, largely be then end of plane incidents in the US with these things being hard to get because DX and KD are following the law.

I for one, am thrilled. I'm also incredibly saddened that I never got a chance to get my dilda. :(

When they come to confiscate your neighbor's laser stuff --- That's OK.

When they come to confiscate your toys --- well I guess that's OK too.

Think about it ----------------------

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
When they come to confiscate your neighbor's laser stuff --- That's OK.

When they come to confiscate your toys --- well I guess that's OK too.

Think about it ----------------------

Mike

These people we keep hearing about deserve to have their stuff taken. By eliminating all the cheap, readily available lasers, we eliminate 98% of the potential for the immaturity problems occuring.

This is a good thing.

quadcam said:
Sweet.  I know it sucks for the members in the hobby who have trouble affording the likes of Nova, but think how much good this is going to do with lasers being prohibitively expensive for the casual laser fan.  This should, hopefully, largely be then end of plane incidents in the US with these things being hard to get because DX and KD are following the law.

I for one, am thrilled.   I'm also incredibly saddened that I never got a chance to get my dilda.  :(
I disagree. They're just taking away lasers from the good, responsible, law abiding citizens. People that want to point them at planes will always find a way, just like criminals can always find a way to get guns illegally. Pointing them at planes is hardly anything to worry about anyways. A casual "i wonder if i can hit it" urge to point at a plane is not going to make it crash. Even on take-off/landing (which is supposedly the biggest threat) you'd need a very steady hand and a very good place to do it from (where you wouldn't be seen). It's just not a threat that calls for these drastic measures. People will always misuse things, don't punish US for it!

i completely agree be gone with the idiot "laserist" if you wanna even call them that.

people stupid enough to lase a plane deserves no lasers!

they are really "toys" they are srys bsns

and i mean that as you need to know completely what your holding in your hand and whats its capable of.

/rant

daguin

quadcam said:
These people we keep hearing about deserve to have their stuff taken. By eliminating all the cheap, readily available lasers, we eliminate 98% of the potential for the immaturity problems occuring.
This is a good thing.

We are also eliminating the "entry level" for the enthusiasts (and scientists) of the future. What kind of laser did you start out with?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=quadcam link=1219713067/0#3 date=1219721324]
This is a good thing.

We are also eliminating the "entry level" for the enthusiasts (and scientists) of the future. What kind of laser did you start out with?

Peace,
dave[/quote]

My first red was a $30 keychain in 1996 and my first greenie was a $350 5mw CNI pen from Deharpporte (sp?) in 1998.

I understand there's alot of grassroots people who are going to suffer here, but if you really want it, you'll figure out a way. The best thing this is going to do is to make the lasers seem unreasonable to the casual buyers who only buy them because of how cheap they are. There will still be cheap alternatives out there to DX, but they won't be easy like DX. You can always legally purchase a 50mw green assembly or a 250mw red in an aixiz and stuff it in an old Leadlight, for example for roughly the cost of a True50, all it takes is a little knowledge. I still support this ban fully.

daguin said:
We are also eliminating the "entry level" for the enthusiasts (and scientists) of the future.  What kind of laser did you start out with?

Peace,
dave

Lol, I started with a ruby laser. I guess I went way overboard.

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
[quote author=daguin link=1219713067/0#7 date=1219722113]

Peace,
dave

Lol, I started with a ruby laser. I guess I went way overboard.[/quote]

YA THINK! ;D :p :D

You're just not normal. You know that, don't you?

Peace,
dave

quadcam said:
By eliminating all the cheap, readily available lasers, we eliminate 98% of the potential for the immaturity problems occuring.

Yeah! The same way that making guns harder to get makes it so only responsible sane lawful adults have guns now! Err...

By eliminating all the cheap, readily available lasers all we do is eliminate 98% of the opportunities for new and established hobbyists alike to purchase inexpensive entry-level / experimental lasers.

Stupidity and immaturity seek their own level, and have their own economics. Ever notice that a lot of the shops have the lasers listed not under the 'flashlight' section, but under the 'guns and lasers' section? Guns attract their own share of the immature and stupid. The first ten lasers I ever saw were mounted on rifles, which means that the idiots were pointing two kinds of high-powered weaponry at the same time, and this was back when there weren't any 'cheap' sources for either. This didn't stop them from pointing their rifles/lasers at planes, cars, cops, friends, pets, far-off windows, random strangers... when all those movies came out with the 'red dot' showing up on the target just before they got shot, a million armed idiots wet themselves and ran off to buy $1000 lasersights.

There is at best a very weak correlation between money and maturity. You can be pretty sure a 5-year old doesn't have a lot of disposable income, but the maturity level of an adult with money can be anywhere on the map. The idea that removing cheap sources of lasers will raise the average maturity level of laser owners is absurd. There will be fewer idiots with lasers, but only because there will be fewer people with lasers.

HumanSymphony said:
I disagree. They're just taking away lasers from the good, responsible, law abiding citizens. People that want to point them at planes will always find a way, just like criminals can always find a way to get guns illegally. Pointing them at planes is hardly anything to worry about anyways. A casual "i wonder if i can hit it" urge to point at a plane is not going to make it crash. Even on take-off/landing (which is supposedly the biggest threat) you'd need a very steady hand and a very good place to do it from (where you wouldn't be seen). It's just not a threat that calls for these drastic measures. People will always misuse things, don't punish US for it!

They're not taking lasers away from the law abiding citizens, because law abiding citizens wouldn't be illegally importing lasers ;D ;D

maybe not THOSE laws lol but the laws regarding using lasers in a safe manner as well what you shouldn't do with them.