Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just ordered a 1W 501B from sci-fi!

Try exercising the switch, just click it a bunch without the battery out then try it.
Also check that the retainer ring in the switch it not loose, they can rattle loose in transit, I have seen it with flashlights, just unscrew the tailcap and see if the ring that holds it all in is loose, it should have a couple little notches so you can tighten it.

Last edited:

Hi Elly,
Take your tailcap off and look inside it. There may be a screw in ring w/two holes in it holding the switch in. See if it loose
Danny

Try exercising the switch, just click it a bunch without the battery out then try it.
Also check that the retainer ring in the switch it not loose, they can rattle loose in transit, I have seen it with flashlights, just unscrew the tailcap and see if the ring that holds it all in is loose, it should have a couple little notches so you can tighten it.

I've removed and reinstalled the retainer ring, no luck. I used a pair of bent paperclips to unscrew and rescrew it in.

The problem is definitely with the tailcap. If I complete the circuit with a paperclip, it works just fine. Going to exercise the switch now.

Razako

Sorry, been busy!

It's acting a bit weird. Sometimes it turns on just fine, but other times the button does nothing. I'm giving it time for the 'soft start' to kick in, but I dunno.

I'm putting the batteries in the right way, but I'm concerned that their protection circuit is making them too long, and thus making it so the spring on the tail cap pushes the battery so hard the positive button is etching the internal contact.

Granted, that didn't happen till I turned the safety mode off.. and I'm not running it longer than the recommended duty cycle.

I'm not sure if the positive contact is breaking, or if there's some feature on the driver I'm not aware of that's tripping me up.
What batteries does the laser take? My sanwu 638nm had an issue where the 18650's weren't quite long enough and I had to put a dab of solder onto the tailcap contact to make them reach properly. If you have access to a multimeter, try checking the tailcap for continuity in both positions.

/NVM. I saw your other post and that it takes a single 14500. Do try to check the tailcap with a multi-meter though.

Last edited:
What batteries does the laser take? My sanwu 638nm had an issue where the 18650's weren't quite long enough and I had to put a dab of solder onto the tailcap contact to make them reach properly.

It uses a single 14500. It's definitely making contact at the positive end (it's a case-negative build). In fact, I can see a little ring on the positive terminal that's the same shape as the battery's button top.

The threading on the cap and case looks pretty clean. There's a small amount of black stuff (not sure what), but I've cleaned most of it away.

I'm hoping Podo won't have to send me a new tailcap, as I don't think it'd arrive in time.

Razako

It uses a single 14500. It's definitely making contact at the positive end (it's a case-negative build). In fact, I can see a little ring on the positive terminal that's the same shape as the battery's button top.

The threading on the cap and case looks pretty clean. There's a small amount of black stuff (not sure what), but I've cleaned most of it away.

I'm hoping Podo won't have to send me a new tailcap, as I don't think it'd arrive in time.
It's entirely possible that the protected battery is an issue. If at all possible try an unprotected battery with the laser and see if that fixes the issue.

I had issues with protected cells with one of my flashlights. Seems like they didn't like being squeezed by the spring or something and would cut out randomly.

The best thing I could recommend is using a mutli-meter to check the continuity of the tailcap in both positions. If the tailcap works fine the battery is the problem. If the tailcap is faulty it will need fixing or sanwu could send you a new tailcap.

If you don't have a mutli-meter you can buy them for like $5 from hardware stores usually. __________________

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I got my Challenger delivered too, and I'm having no problems at all with the battery. The batteries I got are protected Nuon 14500's and while like you said they fit a bit tight, I don't think that's a problem as mine has been working fine.
Probably a problem with your tailcap like you said?

It's entirely possible that the protected battery is an issue. If at all possible try an unprotected battery with the laser and see if that fixes the issue.

I had issues with protected cells with one of my flashlights. Seems like they didn't like being squeezed by the spring or something and would cut out randomly.

The best thing I could recommend is using a mutli-meter to check the continuity of the tailcap in both positions. If the tailcap works fine the battery is the problem. If the tailcap is faulty it will need fixing or sanwu could send you a new tailcap.

If you don't have a mutli-meter you can buy them for like $5 from hardware stores usually. __________________

Just finished cleaning the threading on the cap and the host with rubbing alcohol and a Q tip, no good.

I have a multimeter lying around, though I didn't use it.

So, I learned that if I have the tailcap screwed in all the way, the button won't work, but if I only have it screwed on halfway, the button works just fine.

I've opened the button entirely, and the soldering on the button lead and the brass-ish contact seems solid. Either my ability at judging a solder joint is off (and it could be), or the problem is in the plastic bit that houses the actual switch. Since the button works when the cap is screwed on halfway, I'm guessing the true problem is neither.

I got my Challenger delivered too, and I'm having no problems at all with the battery. The batteries I got are protected Nuon 14500's and while like you said they fit a bit tight, I don't think that's a problem as mine has been working fine.
Probably a problem with your tailcap like you said?

Alright, good to know my protected cells aren't the problem.

edit: the toggle button is definitely the problem. The cap is screwed in halfway, the laser works, I tap the button (not even pressing it) and the laser spazzes out and flickers.

Podo, would you be able to either send me a replacement button assembly so that it arrives by the 17th, or can you link me to a listing for the same button on a US based site?

Last edited:
Just finished cleaning the threading on the cap and the host with rubbing alcohol and a Q tip, no good.

I have a multimeter lying around, though I didn't use it.

So, I learned that if I have the tailcap screwed in all the way, the button won't work, but if I only have it screwed on halfway, the button works just fine.

I've opened the button entirely, and the soldering on the button lead and the brass-ish contact seems solid. Either my ability at judging a solder joint is off (and it could be), or the problem is in the plastic bit that houses the actual switch. Since the button works when the cap is screwed on halfway, I'm guessing the true problem is neither.

Alright, good to know my protected cells aren't the problem.

edit: the toggle button is definitely the problem. The cap is screwed in halfway, the laser works, I tap the button (not even pressing it) and the laser spazzes out and flickers.

Podo, would you be able to either send me a replacement button assembly so that it arrives by the 17th, or can you link me to a listing for the same button on a US based site?

I hope u will get rid of your problems as soon as possible. I would want to help you with that but i dont have any idea. Are there any customers receiving their items without problems? Or it is bad luck of us just we receive not working items or simply we dont receive :(

I hope u will get rid of your problems as soon as possible. I would want to help you with that but i dont have any idea. Are there any customers receiving their items without problems? Or it is bad luck of us just we receive not working items or simply we dont receive :(

Podo says my battery might be too big. He tests the lasers with flat top cells, and mine is a button top. I'll probably end up putting a bigger o-ring between the tailcap and the host, or I'll clip a piece off the tension spring. I'm not interested in buying new batteries or carving the protection circuit off the ones I already have.

Razako

Podo says my battery might be too big. He tests the lasers with flat top cells, and mine is a button top. I'll probably end up putting a bigger o-ring between the tailcap and the host, or I'll clip a piece off the tension spring. I'm not interested in buying new batteries or carving the protection circuit off the ones I already have.
Local vape shops might sell you an unprotected 14500

I'll probably buy a few eventually, but right now I'm not interested in spending any more money. Thanks, though.

Hi Elly,
You have had one hell of a run of bad luck, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! I know how you feel, the first two lasers i ordered never shipped and i had to file on both. For a while i thought any thing "laser" related was doomed by design. HANG IN THERE this is a rewarding hobby and i can tell you aren't afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty. You'll do great promise
-Danny

Last edited:
Hi Elly,
You have had one hell of a run of bed luck, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! I know how you feel, the first two lasers i ordered never shipped and i had to file on both. For a while i thought any thing "laser" related was doomed by design. HANG IN THERE this is a rewarding hobby and i can tell you aren't afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty. You'll do greatgreat promise
-Danny

Oh, by 'buying a few eventually' I meant a new battery, not a new laser! Haha! I mean, I probably will buy another laser eventually 'cause the hobby is great, but that's not what I meant!

My laser being waterproof isn't too much of an issue for me, I just don't want the tailcap unscrewing in my pocket or where ever.

I played with the beam last night, and I was impressed! It smokes my green 303. The beam is brighter and wider. Going to post a review this weekend, I have some nice high hills nearby where I can take a few good beamshots.

I've also burnt up a few plants and pieces of string, that's neat. Spiders and things start running as soon as the dot touches them, and that makes sense. My friend, who's also interested in lasers and knows how to use them safely, used mine to chop up a spider web.

Last edited:
Good deal!
Looking forward to your review. Have fun
Danny

.. And it looks like my laser might be dead. The clicker isn't working, and neither is completing the circuit with a paperclip.

I have no idea what's wrong. My laser was working fine, I stuck it on my bed, when I picked it up half an hour later it refused to work.

.. And it looks like my laser might be dead. The clicker isn't working, and neither is completing the circuit with a paperclip.

I have no idea what's wrong. My laser was working fine, I stuck it on my bed, when I picked it up half an hour later it refused to work.

Sorry you've had such bad luck :(