Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just made my first skyray build thanks to DTR

Hi everyone,
My name is Mike. I am longtime time lurker and first time poster. I am an avionics engineer for Honeywell and i just made my first laser thanks to DTR and just wanted to show the build. I am rather new to the forum and this is my first laser so any build tips would be appreciated.

Build List:
445nm diode
copper module
spring
lens
heat sink
skyray host
X-blank
1.65 Amp X-drive with thermal shut off to protect itself :)
two 3.7V lithium ion batteries

lasertest.jpg

me direct driving my laser assembly getting a pretty good beam with the lights on. :)

breakdownh.jpg

breakdown of the laser assembly.

diodeanddriver.jpg

fullassembly.jpg

The full assembly. A good little burner

Now on to the next build :)

Last edited:

jArdi

you should and tags to your pic.
Funny though, i just got the EXACT same thing from him - pics coming up soon, probably monday.
Nice though! :)

I like the thermal shutoff feature. That's just for the driver, right? I need to read more about that, it sounds like a great feature. It would be cool if it extended into the diode, the heat sensor.

Yeah, the thermal shut off is only for the driver, but that is a good idea! I need to ask around and see if a driver like that already exists. if not, maybe someone could bounce that off the cajun lasers guy and see if he can make one with an option to solder a thermistor into the board or something :)

Specific x-dirve description:
1.65 amp X-Drive V6 - $19.99 : Cajunlasers Store

Got so excited to post that i forgot to add shrink tubing!

shrinktubing.jpg

there that is a little better.

you should and tags to your pic.
Funny though, i just got the EXACT same thing from him - pics coming up soon, probably monday.
Nice though! :)[/QUOTE]

Jardi, let me know when you build yours so i can take a look? Thanks for the forum tip too.

Are you planning on doing anything differently?

Last edited:
Nice build, I just ordered 4 of DTR's 9mm modules w/ 2.1a x-drives & 4 Mrcrouses C11 hosts, they will be my 1st builds. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't this be in the reviews section?

+1 for a nice build/review :beer:

Last edited:

DTR

Mike welcome to the forums. Great to see you got your first unit put together.:gj:

Avionics engineer. Great you are sure to be an asset here.:beer:

Welcome... What PSU are you using in the picture? Also, is that a projector :p
Capture1_zpsd829ef61.jpg

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.... Especially DTR.

Mike welcome to the forums. Great to see you got your first unit put together.:gj:

Avionics engineer. Great you are sure to be an asset here.:beer:

DTR,
Thanks again for all the info. and yes i am an avionics engineer. i work on autopilots for commercial aircraft right now, but i came from a devision that uses laser gyros which i always found fascinating and my fascination i guess spilled over into DIY lasers. currently, I am trying to make a heat sink for another host and run a thermal analysis on it with some help from our engine guys at work. Hopefully, they can give me some pointers.... and maybe the optics and machine shop guys too :)

Welcome... What PSU are you using in the picture? Also, is that a projector :p
Capture1_zpsd829ef61.jpg

Hit shane,
The PSU i am using is a HY1803D and yes that is just a Casio bag. i wish had a projector.

Last edited: