Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Just made my first skyray build thanks to DTR

ZeroLaser

Hi everyone,
My name is Mike. I am longtime time lurker and first time poster. I am an avionics engineer for Honeywell and i just made my first laser thanks to DTR and just wanted to show the build. I am rather new to the forum and this is my first laser so any build tips would be appreciated.

Build List:
445nm diode
copper module
spring
lens
heat sink
skyray host
X-blank
1.65 Amp X-drive with thermal shut off to protect itself :)
two 3.7V lithium ion batteries

me direct driving my laser assembly getting a pretty good beam with the lights on. :)

breakdown of the laser assembly.

The full assembly. A good little burner

Now on to the next build :)

Last edited:

jArdi

you should and tags to your pic.
Funny though, i just got the EXACT same thing from him - pics coming up soon, probably monday.
Nice though! :)

pschlosser

I like the thermal shutoff feature. That's just for the driver, right? I need to read more about that, it sounds like a great feature. It would be cool if it extended into the diode, the heat sensor.

ZeroLaser

Yeah, the thermal shut off is only for the driver, but that is a good idea! I need to ask around and see if a driver like that already exists. if not, maybe someone could bounce that off the cajun lasers guy and see if he can make one with an option to solder a thermistor into the board or something :)

Specific x-dirve description:
1.65 amp X-Drive V6 - $19.99 : Cajunlasers Store

Got so excited to post that i forgot to add shrink tubing!

there that is a little better.

you should and tags to your pic.
Funny though, i just got the EXACT same thing from him - pics coming up soon, probably monday.
Nice though! :)[/QUOTE]

Jardi, let me know when you build yours so i can take a look? Thanks for the forum tip too.

Are you planning on doing anything differently?

Last edited:

SixTee9

Nice build, I just ordered 4 of DTR's 9mm modules w/ 2.1a x-drives & 4 Mrcrouses C11 hosts, they will be my 1st builds. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't this be in the reviews section?

+1 for a nice build/review :beer:

Last edited:

DTR

LPF Site Supporter
Mike welcome to the forums. Great to see you got your first unit put together.:gj:

Avionics engineer. Great you are sure to be an asset here.:beer:

HitShane

Welcome... What PSU are you using in the picture? Also, is that a projector :p

ZeroLaser

Does anyone know of a good and cheap DIY laser power meter kit out there?

ZeroLaser

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.... Especially DTR.

Mike welcome to the forums. Great to see you got your first unit put together.:gj:

Avionics engineer. Great you are sure to be an asset here.:beer:
DTR,
Thanks again for all the info. and yes i am an avionics engineer. i work on autopilots for commercial aircraft right now, but i came from a devision that uses laser gyros which i always found fascinating and my fascination i guess spilled over into DIY lasers. currently, I am trying to make a heat sink for another host and run a thermal analysis on it with some help from our engine guys at work. Hopefully, they can give me some pointers.... and maybe the optics and machine shop guys too :)

Welcome... What PSU are you using in the picture? Also, is that a projector :p

Hit shane,
The PSU i am using is a HY1803D and yes that is just a Casio bag. i wish had a projector.

Last edited: