Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just got my first argon

Razako

It lives! Around 30-40 mw of pretty 488 nm.
RiPz4004.jpg

RiPz4003.jpg

RiPz4001.jpg

Haha, that's funny! I just got an argon, too! It's also a JDS uniphase, but multiline and hits about 54mW right now.
This reminds me, I have an externally powered fan at the moment, because I'm having problems getting power from the inside. Could you take the case off yours and take a photo of how it's connected?

It is truly a thing of beauty. I LOVE that blue! May I ask what it cost?

I was wondering the same. I've always wanted an argon, but never gotten set prices.

congrats! Hey, as a tip, I have the manual for those cyonics heads and it says that the single line models might actually use a line filter to single out the 488 line, rather than mirrors adjusted for 488 on the laser itself. it's worth checking out!! you may be able to get a multiline laser just by taking out a small piece of glass.

Razako

GooeyGus said:
congrats! Hey, as a tip, I have the manual for those cyonics heads and it says that the single line models might actually use a line filter to single out the 488 line, rather than mirrors adjusted for 488 on the laser itself. it's worth checking out!! you may be able to get a multiline laser just by taking out a small piece of glass.
Thanks for the tip.  I took the case off the head, but I didn't find anything that looked like it was easily removable.  What exactly would the line filter look like?  Would it just be a piece of glass stuck before the aperture like an IR filter?  I also found a little hour counter in the head stating that the laser only has around 2000 hours on it.  Overall it works well and starts on the first "click".  Because of the wavelength difference the beam is much brighter than my blue RPL30.  I had it shining off the balcony last night and the sparkling teal beam is clearly visible in the sky.

daguin

Congratulations

Welcome to the gassy side of things

@ Spellch3ck -- Have you tried powering the fan independently to see if it is good. The fan is usually just wired to a "gang-type" connector inside the laser.

Peace,
dave

Only 2000 hours ??? You got a baby laser -- congrats ;D
Now for the care and feeding ------ 488 nM is the sky blue - Nice :)

Mike

The line filter would be installed in the beam sampling section. You would have to pull it out and open it up. basically it's a piece of glass at 45° to take a small portion of the beam to operate in light mode. The manual says that the line filter in these lasers may be a part of that assembly.