Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jib77 **NEW** 3A Test Load with Selectable Ranges

Hey Guys,

Just want to show off my New test load that i bought off Jib77 "aKa" Rick.:)

Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers - View Profile: jib77

THis Testload is Awesome. Its Rated for up to 3A at a Continuous ON at 2A Unheatsinked. Witch is perfect for us.:) You can Run the testload over 2A Un-Heatsinked on Short runs ~30sec. I was thinking if you want to heatsink the testload you can get those RAM Memory small heatsinks from DX.
Aluminum Cooler Heat Sink Chipset for RAM Memory - W Type (8-Piece Set) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Aluminum Alloy Chipset Heatsinks for PC Memory Chips (8-HSK Set) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Pure Copper PC Memory Heat Spreader (8-Pieces) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The Testload Has selectable ranges to choose from 405nm , 445nm , 635nm/650nm/660nm etc. There are 4 total ranges.

All parts are Surfaced Mount and well placed on the board. The Heat transfer is down right perfect.

Everything is Lined up Perfectly. Its amazing how he does that by hand.:beer:

I added Alligator clips to make it easy to use rather them soldering your driver to the testload or using your prongs to get a reading. Just clip the alligator clips and your good to go.:D

He sells them for $30 a piece.:wave: Money well spent and i know this will last a long long time.:cool:

Here is a short video of it Performing a test Run.

Driver is my X-Drive V6 Running at 1.96A of 2x 18650.:)

Here are the Pictures.:)

Pictures:

P7290112.jpg

P7290078.jpg

Selectable Ranges For different diodes.

P7290088.jpg

1 ohm Resistor.

P7290087.jpg

Diodes.

P7290095.jpg

P7290067.jpg

P7290100.jpg

P7290099.jpg

Iam Very Happy with this Testload. Now i dont have to worry about over heating.:wave:

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Last edited:

jib77

Glad its working out so well for you.

I would like to point out the thermal pads for the diodes and resistor also continue to the bottom layer for extra heatsinking.

Also it turns out the 1.3Vfw quoted by the datasheet was for 5A, so at currents useful to us it drops down to about 1V, so Im going to have to update the printing on the selector pins to account for that.

Very interesting, never seen that type of package used for a resistor before. Looks very nice and clean though!

Would be curious as to what your doing with the tabs on those packages? Are you reflowing those with hot air or whats your approach for making the tabs have good contact with the large pad? Always had trouble with this one.

Last edited:

jib77

I use a toaster oven to reflow ... using my custom relay board controlled by my version of an Arduino nano:

Reactions: ped
Jib77;

Nice job on the test load.

The variable voltage jumpers make it more useful.

Keep up the good work.

I prefer the grabber-hook leads to the alligator clips for more secure connections.
images

LarryDFW

Last edited:
you are gawd :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

have a DIY link for this? Or did you make this mostly from scratch?

I use a toaster oven to reflow ... using my custom relay board controlled by my version of an Arduino nano:

Last edited:

jib77

From scratch ... The relay board is just a 240V/35A relay from Tyco and a MAX6675 ADC for K-Type Thermocouples. The Arduino nano provides the power, SPI connection(for reading the MAX6675), an I/O line for controlling the relay through a MOSFET, and firmware that follows the Kester 63/37 profile.

jib77

The oven is a cheap $34 B&D from Target, the custom electronics was probably around $60.

Last edited: