Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Japser Always- Broken, would like help!

Hi all, new to the forums. Been browsing for a few days and wondering how I should go about making a blue/violet laser, when I stumbled upon my old broken green laser, my Jasper Always (from bigha)

This laser no longer works (at least to the point where the batteries don't work) when I try to turn it on. I don't have any special equipment with me, but I was wondering if anyone has dismantled one before- searches yielded no results, but with the sheer amount of knowledge, some people may be familiar with the workings.
If need be, I can try to take some photos of the interior. It seems like all you would need to do is pull the whole thing out from the back, but I'm unable to do so at the moment.

What's this laser model again? Do you have a link to a product page on a website?

Yes, the laser's product page is here: (www)bigha.com/laser/models/index.php

I had the laser for several months; barely out of its warranty it broke, and it's been collecting dust ever since. I know I could just buy a cheap DX laser, but I'd rather keep my eyes intact.

don't be scared about the IR leakage from low end DX lasers, the level they output is negligible

MarioMaster said:
don't be scared about the IR leakage from low end DX lasers, the level they output is negligible

Hmm... I'm looking at 30-50mW (dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11047) ones at DX. Wouldn't the IR output from these be pretty rough?
(Alternatively, if I were to purchase that IR filter from that one site for 10 dollars, sand it into a circle and stick it to the front of the laser, would that help? Or would it just dim down the green...)

I used to think that IR was really bad but the 30 mW green will only put out 10 mW of IR AT MOST your tv remote
puts out about 20 mW's of IR so I don't think that it would be nearly as big of a problem compared to the amount of green light being emitted.

--hydro15

IR leakage from green pens is a NON-ISSUE if you're worried about the safety. The green will damage your eyes way before the IR will. The reason people made a big deal about IR in the first place was because it can MAJORLY skew power readings. Somewhere along the line, that fact got skewed into a safety issue, because IR lasers by themselves can be dangerous. Even on the super high power greens, you could have 100mW of IR, but it just doesn't matter because you're getting 400mW of green. Just because it's invisible doesn't make it more powerful or damaging than the green. the IR is also unfocused for the most part, and diverges very quickly. The danger from IR comes when you're using an IR-only laser. This way you have no 'guide' beam or anything to really know where it's pointing, and you can catch a reflection or hit someone else very easily without even knowing it.

That being said, always wear your laser safety glasses when playing with ANY class IIIB laser.

Well there is still a focused IR component that comes out of these green lasers unless filtered; most, however, spreads out. With the green safety goggles on, your pupils are dialated because the green doesn't look so bright anymore and the IR may readily pass through those goggles.

hydrogenman15 said:
I used to think that IR was really bad but the 30 mW green will only put out 10 mW of IR AT MOST your tv remote
puts out about 20 mW's of IR so I don't think that it would be nearly as big of a problem compared to the amount of green light being emitted.

--hydro15

i can't believe that!

Surely it is less - i thought it was a led

Abray

I think it is an LED, but it still emits infrared light. Infrared isn't limited to just laser diodes ::)

Well it's also pulsed, so the average mW is probably just half its peak power.

On another note, that name "Jasper Always" has got to be one of the dumbest laser names I've heard of... makes me think of some dorky nerd superhero or something...

diachi

That jasper always is a rip off, $129 for <5mW :eek: 50mW would have been fine but 5 :eek: