Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jake21 Heatsink Review

Not long ago I heard somewhere on the forum that Jake had acquired a lathe, and as I was in need of a few heatsinks I thought I’d have him crank some out for me. I asked him to make them for the DX sku 46 host (“pocket pal”).

I received my heatsinks quickly, and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the package. Inside were three very nicely cut heatsinks. I tested the fit and clearances, and they all fit perfectly. I ended up not using the sku 46 host, since I found some nice looking hosts at home depot for next to nothing. They have the same interior dimensions as the sku 46, so heatsinks are interchangeable.

After completing the builds I can say that the assembly went flawlessly. The fit and finish on the heatsinks is great. Truthfully I couldn’t be much happier with the whole experience, and Jake’s competitive pricing made things even sweeter.

All in all, I’d definitely recommend Jake’s services to anyone needing heatsinks made.

here's the goods:

Thefinalpair.jpg

RedFront1.jpg

BlueFront2.jpg

ThePair2.jpg

BlueFront1.jpg

Thefinalpair.jpg

As you can see, the heatsinks look great!

Last edited:

Thanks! Jake did a fine job.. I'll see what I can do about some beam shots. I live in a smoke free house since I have a new baby daughter, so smoke/fog can't be happening there. I'll see if I can't think of somewhere else..

No luck using just darkness. I can see the beam, but my camera cannot..

I'm never really anywhere that a beam shot would be possible except when I go to the club on the weekends. I'll see if I can't do something next time I'm there..

I like the review a lot! The heatsink looks smooth and professional (compared to my first-ever lathe work) But I agree, no thread is perfect without some bright beams...

If you can adjust the ISO mode, I find that craking up the ISO really helps make beams more visible. Just make sure that your setup is incredibly still, and it should work OK.

Thanks, Charlie! @jake: I don't know if the Home Depot in your city has the same stock as we do here, but if it does you can find these hosts as part of a three-pack wherever they keep their LED flashlight rack. There are two of these kinds of hosts, and one stupid lime-green flashlight that can't be used for lasers. I bought some more today, and they were not on sale anymore. I paid $9.99 for the package. Not as good a deal as before, but it's still worth it IMO.

jake21

ill have to go see if they do.... the closest Home Depot is like 30min away.......

Hey Jake - are you still selling these and if so, you should confirm they fit the Home Depot hosts (include the SKU in your post so there's no confusion) and if the price is right, I'll bet people will be beating down your doors to get 'em...

jake21

well i want to start making heatsinks for people but i would like to get the host first. but i do have the pocket pal host so i can go by that like i did for ElektroFreak.

ill charge 15.00 p/s per heatsink that's with the set screw ect.... if any one wants any pm me

so fare i can do heatsinks for

Coleman Max host
Pocket Pal host
Dorcy Jr host
1" Round "lab style" heatsinks
or any kind if u have a drawing and under 1"aluminum

I didn't even think about the sku.. I have the package right here.

Here's a pic:

picture.php

post 999 ..........almost................there

Last edited:

jake21

just some pics of my Coleman Max heatsink

Last edited: