Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Issues with PGL-lll-C-589

Hello everyone, I wanted to get your guys opinion on recent issues I am having with my 80mW rated 589nm PGL unit i recently purchased from an online distributor of CNI.. I've been in contact with Ayuki from CNI during the entire purchase, and after since the issues started.

Specs are as stated off CNI website:
Wavelength: 589nm±1,
Dimensions: 8.6×1.5" (225×38mm)
Batteries: rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion (included)
Battery recharger included
Power: 5-100 milliwatts
Range: up to 10000 meters
(Range > 5 Miles with Optional Extender Lens !)
All-metal Aluminum Body

Beam divergence, full angle: < 1.5 mrad
Beam diameter at aperture: ~1.5 mm
Beam Shape: round
Transverse Mode: TEM00
Operating Mode: Continuous Wave
Operating Temp: 57-95ºF (15-35ºC)
Operating Life: 5000-10000 hours
Warranty: 6 Months

First of all the power output is still well within an acceptable range and even higher than the rated output. 96mW max still after the following issues.

My problem with the unit is that I noticed (with a little smoke for visual aid) that the laser beam coming out of the aperture is not one beam but actually three. They are not all completely separate right out of the aperture, two look joined then the third is separate.
About two-three feet from the aperture I can distinctly see two separate beams. Approximately six feet from the aperture there is a two-three foot range where the beam appears as one single beam (in alignment) then after that the beam stays separated..

At less than 20 feet the dot
appears to be more of a oval made of two dots. note very focused at all.
I do believe the unit is not running in TEM 00 mode but seems to be
mode hopping quite severely as it powers up. There is also a large amount of scatter coming out the side of the lasers head, and there are "wings" two lines that go out ward from the dot. After it's been on for a few minutes.

I know that may seem a little mixed up there but that's the best way I can describe what I'm seeing.

After expressing my concern to CNI they say I can send it back for repairs..
Within the six month warranty period.

I'm just wondering if I should pay the extra cash to send it all the way back to China. I want to get the most out of my expensive purchase, I don't really mind sending it but I know It'll be another couple months till I get it back.

Any thoughts?

Blord

All high power DPSS lasers exhibit this behaviour. Sometime it is acceptable but your problems seems pretty severe. The 80mW 589nm isn't a cheap laser. The shipping is a small fraction of the total cost. I would change this unit.

And make the shipping back somehow secure. You are not the first one who get the laser "lost" when it is sending back to China.

Yep things seem to disappear when going back to China so get some kind of secure delivery method.

Thanks for input... I was told that there would be repairs made not a complete replacement. It's weird cause It wasn't originally like this after the first month this started happening.

Apart of me thinks there is something wrong with the crystal set and alignment.
Not sure though.

I'm mainly worried about the shipping.. CNI told me that they would pay for the shipping back to the US. Not sure what kind of insurance I could get when shipping it back but I will look into it.

I once had a PGL-III-C 532nm that would mode shift as it powered up.
It didn't really bother me because 1) the power was well above the rated power and 2) beam was still circular and divergence was still within spec.

I also have experience with an RMA to CNI. I think shipping was $175. Replacement for the defective laser was free under warranty. The laser was replaced within a month of me sending it out so that was actually pretty nice. Also... the thing I liked most was that the laser I got as a replacement was incredible. It was 473nm rated at 80mW and it peaked over 180mW! Not bad for $175 more.

If the beam mode does not make the laser unusable for you, then I'd say just keep it.
It seems like a pretty nice laser, after all. 96mW of 589nm is probably pretty bright. On the other hand, you might get an even better/much improved laser after sending it back... which could be worth the shipping cost...

Last edited:
All good things to consider. :thanks:

Yeah it's still very bright and it is usable for my means that's for sure.. Just trying to weigh in the pros and cons with shipping it back.

With how much I spent I'm thinking I want this unit to be up to the stated specs. as in the divergence <1.5mrad and operating mode.. It's a tough call though, it is still over spec in output. I'll wait till after the weekend to make my decision.

Update to my 589 unit:

So the original problem seems to have fixed its self magically.. But now (several weeks after it fixed its self some how) there is more scatter around the dot than ever before.

I'm confused because now when i measure it on my LPM I get a consistent high between 128mW and 130mW which is great..

Also it doesn't appear as bright as other fellow members beam shots or videos of less powerful units. I don't know if its the camera settings I am using or maybe just the way my eye perceives the color yellow.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Blord

The visibility of the beam depends on the dust in the air. That is why some use smoke or fog machine to enhance the beam. Camera shots can be very deceiving if the settings are different.

Are you keeping it covered? do you smoke a lot? is there a lot of dust where you keep it? Did you try to clean it?

Most of the past post on DPSS units read as this issue fixes itself only to have some severe issues down the road. Look up CNI in the forum search and read them all. Then send that unit back. My advice take it or leave it.

I hope for the best I love those pics of you 589. I wish you would do a review of your kypton.

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been contemplating sending this bad boy back or not for a few months now and I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay for extra insurance and send it back to CNI.

Blord:
I understand that a lot of people use smoke or fog for brighter beam shots and I've done that.. It just seems like any other 100mW 589 I've seen on here looks a lot brighter than my unit.. I wasn't sure if there is something else that could contribute to the difference I am noticing, or just camera settings.

HitShane:
First off welcome to LPF! I live in Tampa close to the international airport, some day we should meet up and talk lasers.. I've been in contact with engineers at CNI and sent them pictures of whats going on they seem to think there are issues with the crystal set.

Attachments

• IMG_0696 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0696 (600x450).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0700 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0700 (600x450).jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0701 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0701 (600x450).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0703 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0703 (600x450).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0720 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0720 (600x450).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0721 (600x450).jpg
    IMG_0721 (600x450).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 192
I need to send my 589 M back. I want to get mine upgraded at the same time though. I'm going to send a PM your way.