Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Issue with LG Aquarius

Yes haha, im just going to continue using 3V CR2 Rayovac batteries. Im still confused on how the previous batteries just suddenly stopped working though. Is this common for Lithium Ion bats? I will buy a multimeter soon so this issue dosen't happen again.

-Alex

See previous comment. If the battery dropped below operating voltage the 473 would not lase. The IR might not even have been coming on if the driver itself saw the low current and said "go home battery, you're drunk".

I do think it's an utterly bizarre decision on CNIs part to run the 473 in this host (being a cr2 host I now understand why it's fatter) and yet run the Rigel in an AAA host. Unless I'm missing something the 593.5 module would benefit hugely from better power than weedy AAAs, so a cr2 or 16340 would be a great candidate.

Last edited:

yeah it sounds like a dead battery. mine did that the other day. havn't got a new one yet.

Actually, I doubt it's a dead battery. I've got a CNI GLP-473 (the laser LG rebags as an Aquarius), and it produces those tiny blips of power whenever when it is cold in the house. After I warm up the laser to room temperature by holding the laser or letting my monitor warm it up by resting the laser on top, the laser works as before.

I think the crystals are temperature sensitive and need to be at room temperature or more in order to function correctly. Warm up that laser to room temperature and it'll work just fine, and even output overspec power (I get about 15mW for a 5mW GLP-473). I'm using the same battery that came with the laser when I got it at least 3 years ago, and every time the laser barely manages a pulse I have to remind myself that it is probably cold.

IsaacT

Look into rechargeable batteries with the same voltage output. I hear buying batteries blows. But then, I wouldn't know. :p