Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is usps still crappy in status updates?

My usps package send by priority mail had it last status on the 23nd this month..that it was going to sorting centre.
Well nothing's chanced yet so i was wondering if usps is still super lazy in scanning or that it got stolen :/

They don't update their site that often, you're in a different country, and it's only been three days. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

its just...3 days driving to a sort centre?
even if the site only updates every 24h, it should have gotten there already.

It's international delivery. Just because it says "Priority Mail" doesn't mean it'll be the same ~2-day Priority Mail service they advertise for domestic packages. Some people report it taking a week or more, and "sorting center" is just a catch-all for the package being processed. Have some patience. It's not going to be fast unless you pay out the nose for the privilege, and it's only been three days and they're notorious for not updating their info frequently.

If you're concerned about the package being stolen -- which I highly doubt it was -- send it via registered mail next time.

whats "registered" and the difference?
it didnt reach the sorting centre yet its just "on the way to sorting centre".

i just curious if the company is still lazy in scanning and updating.

Last edited:
Yes a package to Australia ..last update from Chicago 7 days ago, finally yesterday it shows its got to Australia a week from Chicago . i would have thought 3 days maximum. So no updates for a week with priority mail USPS ...That's 25 dollars for a small laser module that still isn't in my hands ....so pathetic in a word .

Yes a package to Australia ..last update from Chicago 7 days ago, finally yesterday it shows its got to Australia a week from Chicago . i would have thought 3 days maximum. So no updates for a week with priority mail USPS ...That's 25 dollars for a small laser module that still isn't in my hands ....so pathetic in a word .
but thats from airplane to your country? then the scan is not in usps's hands, but done by your post company or customs.

Last edited:

NKO29

Hah, Australia post is a nightmare! But USPS tracking does state it confirms delivery internationally, but often it doesnt.

Point is why no updates it actually said left Chicago 7 days ago after arriving from Sealy Texas 3 days before.What the hell was the flight path .If you go FedEx at not a lot more $ it will say Sealy Texas acceptance ,sorting then transit to Chicago transit to LA then transit to Hawaii, and transit to Sydney Australia arrived for customs clearance .Only message I got after 7 days was " cleared a sorting facility in Australia and on way to destination" . IE my home state and my hands .Which I assume means it's cleared customs which is the big deal.

Last edited:
whats "registered" and the difference?
it didnt reach the sorting centre yet its just "on the way to sorting centre".

i just curious if the company is still lazy in scanning and updating.

Registered mail ensures that the package is kept secure along its entire mailing, has extra security precautions (like extra seals) to ensure it isn't tampered with, and requires signing upon delivery to make sure it gets to its destination. It's especially useful for countries where packages are often stolen, but also just to ensure the package gets better handling. I've used it for sending my passport around in the country just for security. You pay extra for the service however, and it doesn't expedite the shipping either.

If your package is on its way to the sorting center, it could be anywhere along the route, including still on the international transport. It could be in customs, it could waiting on a truck for sorting, etc. International packages, depending on their size, take different amounts of effort to get processed and delivered through the network. If the package isn't set to be expedited, then it'll take a lot longer. It just depends, and I wouldn't get too worried about it until a week or so from now.

DTR

Chicago is pretty much always the last place an international package is scanned. It is the receiving country that is usually very slow to scan. They are never scanned when received either just when they are entering the final stage of customs clearance which means they could sit in customs for a week and never get scanned with priority mail. It can be a crapshoot but priority international mail usually delivers in 10-15 days with a 5 day period of it lost in space.:beer:

Thanks both guys.
Its at chigago sort facility now. Hopefully to be dispatched on the plane soon.
Our countries main post company is shit but at least they scan. They scan it as soon as it hits the sorting centre right next to the airfield.
You can call them and if it arrived they give you a dutch code and thats followable to the door.

USPS did scan your package, otherwise you'd only see "shipping info received" on the status update, not "on its way to the sorting center" which happens after the package has left (and been scanned at) its origin post office. As DTR pointed out, Chicago is probably the final destination where these international packages arrive before being sent outside the country. Also, unless you paid for expedited service, your package was probably sent via truck from its origin post office/box to Chicago -- which itself could take a number of days. The whole "airmail" thing simply means that it gets taken via a jet across the Atlantic, not that it is fast like domestic airmail would be considered.

Remember that this country is huge, and your entire country would be more like a small state here. Despite that, the post service is very fast for domestic delivery, especially the Priority Mail service which often arrives faster than comparable services like UPS or FedEx. International packages are just a different matter because they take longer in general anyway, and unless you've paid extra for expedited service -- which you did not, because Priority Mail International is not an expedited service -- there's no real expectation that it will, or should be delivered quickly. Therefore, it's not imperative to provide to-the-day tracking details on some package that will take 1-2 weeks to arrive anyway.

the package arrived in my country. probaly to be delivered tommorow.
usps did not scan it at departure.
i guess it confirms that their tracking is still slow and sometimes no scan at all.
but at least the package journy goes on.

Well I would assume priority mail international at 10 dollars plus more is a sort of express mail or is the ten dollars I paid extra just lip service as the tracking is a joke .i know customs in my country is a joke but there still 7 days of nothing in updates as per previous post ....and to that 4 more days no parcel WTF ,the worlds mail is joke except, I read dream stories on the forum of I bought item x from china and 4 days later it's my hands even fedex isn't that fast.bottom line of this post is Where is my bloody parcel I paid a premium for and it happens time and time again slow as a snail .Law of averages would say Im due to actually get an item fast for a change.I live in a city of 1.1 million people not some tiny town middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Well I would assume priority mail international at 10 dollars plus more is a sort of express mail or is the ten dollars I paid extra just lip service as the tracking is a joke .i know customs in my country is a joke but there still 7 days of nothing in updates as per previous post ....and to that 4 more days no parcel WTF ,the worlds mail is joke except, I read dream stories on the forum of I bought item x from china and 4 days later it's my hands even fedex isn't that fast.bottom line of this post is Where is my bloody parcel I paid a premium for and it happens time and time again slow as a snail .Law of averages would say Im due to actually get an item fast for a change.I live in a city of 1.1 million people not some tiny town middle of nowhere.

thats the one thing my country post is good at. i immediatly know when the package is in my country, can view when custums release the package and how much it will cost, and know that after the package is released i will get it in 1 or 2 days.