Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this method of sodlering any good for lasers? (hook)

Things

So slide the heatshrink as far back on the wires as possible, or if the wires aren't connected on one side, just slide it on after you've soldered it. I've tinned and soldered wires with heatshrink around 5mm from the joint fine. It does shrink a little bit, but that's where being efficient with your soldering comes in. Do it fast enough and it won't shrink at all.

If there physically is no room for heatshrink, cut some strips of electrical tape and wrap that around the wire, then slide a larger bit of heatshrink over the whole lot. Works fine too.

Last edited:

... This thread makes me want to create a video....

It's about time! :angel:

Now I'm getting mixed answers, some people/videos telling me to preheat the wire a bit so the solder melts with the wire and not the iron, and other's saying the iron doesn't touch the wire.

daguin

It's about time! :angel:

Now I'm getting mixed answers, some people/videos telling me to preheat the wire a bit so the solder melts with the wire and not the iron, and other's saying the iron doesn't touch the wire.

No one HERE has said you should heat the wires.

Peace,
dave

Things

All heating the wires is gonna do is melt the insulation back and pre-shrink any heatshrink you have on there, there is no point. Only time it might apply is if you're trying to solder very large gauge wire, in which case heating the wire and what you're soldering it to is usually done with something like a blowtorch.