Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this driver good?

Rewkie

I usually dont see them like this. I've only seen them with solder on the contact board. So is it messed up?
dcf38e82.jpg

Blord

The outer ring of the driver needs to make contact with the host by soldering it to the brass ring and then pressed into the pill. Seems a legit connection.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a contact board with solder on the neg on both sides. other than looking like it has been pushed past the brass ring the solder looks ok, as if holding it in place.

Looks to me like a Survival Laser C6 driver. Yes, its supposed to look like that.

Youll probably need to add a blob of solder to the centre of the board (ie pos contact), or you may have problems getting a good battery pos connection... :beer:

Edit: Don't forget to connect the wires from the driver to either the LD, or a test load, before you test it on a battery and make sure you short the caps (on the board) by touching the wires together BEFORE you solder them to the LD! ;)

Last edited:
^ What he said... XD

If you decide to add solder to the center contact:
-make sure it doesn't get too hot as to possibly melt components off the other side
-make sure you don't overdo the amount of solder so that your battery still fits
-take care not to bridge the center contact to the surrounding contact
-if your flux works too well you run a slight risk of the solder running through the holes in the driver contact and onto the components on the other side (had that happen once)

Keep in mind that adding a layer of solder is not required but may improve connection.

If you load test your driver make sure that you connect it to the load first then to a power source. After you disconnect and before you solder it up to your diode you first short out the wires to empty any and all potential stored charge. Just as grainde mentioned. The issue is that a driver can sometimes store charge and has the potential to sort of barf it all out at once if its connected up to a diode which runs the risk of an insta diode kill.

Not trying to steal your thunder grainde, just elaborating on it a little.

Blord

If you use a battery with a non-flat top, the ordinary ones, I wouldn't solder the center contact. Gold plated surface is always better than a blob of tin.
And when using flat-top batteries I used small springs of few mm thick.

I have had a couple small issues with the connection being solid using button top battery when I left the driver contact as clean gold that was solved with a thin layer of solder but a spring would be even better if you have room for it. You might only want to add solder if you notice a slight connection stability issue.

If you use a battery with a non-flat top, the ordinary ones, I wouldn't solder the center contact. Gold plated surface is always better than a blob of tin.
And when using flat-top batteries I used small springs of few mm thick.

I dont think it will make much difference having a gold contact, a blob of solder or a thin metal spring...The voltage drop at those currents considering the thickness of the layer and the distance the current must travel will be pretty much the same... Basically it will make no difference other than improving the physical contact, which a blob of solder will also achieve ...:thinking:

^ What he said... XD

If you decide to add solder to the center contact:
-make sure it doesn't get too hot as to possibly melt components off the other side
-make sure you don't overdo the amount of solder so that your battery still fits
-take care not to bridge the center contact to the surrounding contact
-if your flux works too well you run a slight risk of the solder running through the holes in the driver contact and onto the components on the other side (had that happen once)

Keep in mind that adding a layer of solder is not required but may improve connection.

If you load test your driver make sure that you connect it to the load first then to a power source. After you disconnect and before you solder it up to your diode you first short out the wires to empty any and all potential stored charge. Just as grainde mentioned. The issue is that a driver can sometimes store charge and has the potential to sort of barf it all out at once if its connected up to a diode which runs the risk of an insta diode kill.

Not trying to steal your thunder grainde, just elaborating on it a little.

:beer:

Last edited:

Garoq

Looks good to me. ;) Some of the brass rings have a deeper counterbore than others, so the depth of the board within the ring will vary slightly. However, most button top batteries will have no problem making contact with the center terminal.

See I knew it was this guys driver :p

Actually, now that I study the little blurry writing I see it says Survival Laser Inc on it lol. I guessed by the way it looked, too lazy to try to read what it said :p

Sup Gary, any news on the whole FDA thing yet?

Garoq

No news yet, hopefully soon though. When this is all over I will be able to discuss more details.

I just heard about that from Silver, and went and saw it on your site. That really sucks man. I wouldn't wish that attention on my worst enemy. I know it sure made my butt hole pucker when I had 2 agents show up at my work to speak with me. Literally one of the scariest moments of my life, and I deal with death on a regular basis.
Anyways, If you're interested in a step by step story of everything that happened between myself and the FDA to help weigh your options, send me a pm. I know when I spoke to dan hewitt on the phone with my first letter, he was not helpful at all.

I'll restrict any further to pm if you're interested, as they have a very real presence on this forum.

Last edited:

Garoq

I just heard about that from Silver, and went and saw it on your site. That really sucks man. I wouldn't wish that attention on my worst enemy. I know it sure made my butt hole pucker when I had 2 agents show up at my work to speak with me. Literally one of the scariest moments of my life, and I deal with death on a regular basis.
Anyways, If you're interested in a step by step story of everything that happened between myself and the FDA to help weigh your options, send me a pm. I know when I spoke to dan hewitt on the phone with my first letter, he was not helpful at all.

I'll restrict any further to pm if you're interested, as they have a very real presence on this forum.

Thanks Matt, I'll probably contact you after I return from travel. We do have an attorney helping us.

Good luck with that whole situation bro. I wouldn't wish that kind of gov attention on anyone. Hopefully it all gets solved so you can resume selling here or that might seriously hurt your income from the site.