Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this a bad idea? Custom build.

Taylor21990

So this is my latest build. It is a de canned NugM02 520nm green. 25mm module with a g2 lens. It’s running off of 2 Fennix 16340’s that feed a SXD at 1.6A. The host came with the glass led protector and I decided I’d try and keep it. But then I remembered that we want minimal back reflection. It really doesn’t mess up beam or spot quality at all. But I’m afraid it might hurt the diode. Lemme know, thanks!;8BC7CF26-60C3-4699-AEB3-EC5E27A7683C.jpeg19CB8939-0007-4537-9734-CFA1A99419B7.jpeg

Lenses come with AR coatings for a reason. MYB you can slightly change that 'lens' to make the back reflection slightly off.

That is what I do with my PJs,,,
IF I add a grating or window to the front I intentionally make it less than perfectly 'flat' thus any reflection, in theory , will not hit the center of the lasers. I will ask for you at the laser projector forums-- they are the REAL experts. Send a PM, in the meantime, to Mr. Roberts--username is 'mixedgas' there and
.... dang memory is failing me-- brb with his LPF name.

ahh! Steve is LSRFAQ at LPF.

Taylor21990

Lenses come with AR coatings for a reason. MYB you can slightly change that 'lens' to make the back reflection slightly off.

IF I add a grating or window to the front I intentionally make it less than perfectly 'flat' thus any reflection, in theory , will not hit the center of the lasers. I will ask for you at the laser projector forums-- they are the REAL experts. Send a PM, in the meantime, to Mr. Roberts--username is 'mixedgas' there and

Thank you. And it’s funny I ended up off centering it before I read this! I can now see a small dot next to the main one, but I like the added protection considering it is a de canned diode.

that is good to hear...
AND due to the decanning you are smart to do that- keeps everything cleaner etc.
I know it is not easy to do but.. can you keep track of the hours on this laser--I hope it never fails but you would be giving us important data on decanned diodes. best wishes ---good job on the laser!!

Taylor21990

Yes absolutely I can try and keep track of the hours, but Honestly I don’t really put a lot of run time on my builds anymore. Most of the time I build them, marvel at their beauty, then put them in a case, or sell em. I could make an exception though!

The number one danger to your diode is running it so far above recommended power. Make no mistake. Besides, the back-reflection danger from a pane of glass alone: I would rate a subjective "low" for single mode, and "virtually zero" for multimode.

Hi Hak ,
Got a pic of those PJ's ?? buddy
Rich:)

Taylor21990

Thanks guys! And thanks Cyparagon for the knowledge about reflection. The small little green spot next to the main one was getting annoying! I will now level the glass back to normal so it goes away and it’s one solid beam. And you guys think 1.6 amps isn’t over driving it? I want longevity out of this since it’s the most expensive laser I’ve built. Also the brightest. Much thanks!!

Snecho

Congrats with the build.

It is a shame there are problems with reflection as I would love a protective piece of glass that would make it so that the lens would never get dirty, and by extension, would never have to be cleaned and have to worry about it getting scratched.

Just a simple wipedown of that nice big glass protector.

Thanks guys! And thanks Cyparagon for the knowledge about reflection. The small little green spot next to the main one was getting annoying! I will now level the glass back to normal so it goes away and it’s one solid beam. And you guys think 1.6 amps isn’t over driving it? I want longevity out of this since it’s the most expensive laser I’ve built. Also the brightest. Much thanks!!

Hi,
The max is 1.8A and 1.6A is perfect for longevity , I built quite a few for customs at that setting.
Rich:)

Giannis_TDM

that is good to hear...
AND due to the decanning you are smart to do that- keeps everything cleaner etc.
I know it is not easy to do but.. can you keep track of the hours on this laser--I hope it never fails but you would be giving us important data on decanned diodes. best wishes ---good job on the laser!!
I'll track my hours too decanned 525 850mw current set to 1.5A running g8 lenses