Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it possible?

Cathaholic

Hi, new here, looking for people who know a whole lot more about lasers than I do and it looks like you guys fit the bill. Anyhow, I'm looking at buying or making a laser for a specific purpose, if that purpose is realistic.

Around where I live are many rivers and creeks with power lines overhead, and as you can imagine, these lines are littered with fishing line and lures. Before I go forward, let me note I don't want to do anything to compromise the safety of myself or that power line, but obviously I'd like to get the lures.
I built a tool on an extending pole for retrieving lures from trees, obviously, that would be stupid with these power lines. Here's what I had in mind.

I would like to mount a laser to a camera tripod and aim it at the fishing line or lure eyelets with with the goal of weakening the line enough that the lures fall. Note that if I get the right guidelines for selecting a laser, I would test the heck out of the idea before ever employing it to ensure I wouldn't just light the fishing line (by extension, the power line) on fire. I will also be very careful about what is behind the lure so I don't shine it in the window of a tall building and blind someone (I live in the middle of nowhere, there are no tall buildings, but you get the point). Of course this might not be possible if the laser is too weak at that distance or if I'm just asking too much of a laser in general. I'm hoping that even at that distance, if steady enough it may be possible. So I want to know:
1. Is it possible?
2. What should I look for in a laser if so? (Sadly I have a limited budget so please keep in mind).
3. I am 100% determined to be very safe with this if it works, that being said, let me know other things you think should be taken into consideration.

Snecho

What your looking for isn't physically possible. At least not without a very expensive and specialized custom optic setup.

Fishing line is both clear and super thin, and the fact it's almost impossible to pop a balloon at that range because of divergence, you would need something nothing short of military equipment.

It's just not a feasible option unfortunately.

I mean, you could buy a 3W blue laser with a beam expander to reduce divergence but it's a shot in the dark.

gazer101

(I live in the middle of nowhere, there are no tall buildings, but you get the point)
Yeah I get your point Mr Catholololololic.....
You're probably baiting us.
Ok, so I'll bite.

What you propose is not only highly dangerous and unfeasible but also borders on the hilariously day-dreamable idea of the year. 🎓
I'm soooooo glad you're soooo concerned about the powerlines, not to set them on fire..... :ROFLMAO:

Firstly, if you really want 'those' lures, just go and buy yourself some new ones, much cheaper right?
Oh, I forgot, you're in the middle of nowhere..... :rolleyes:

Well, I highly recommend you do what we 'Crocadile Dundee Aussies' do when we go fishing in the outback .....
Use a basic stick of dynamite instead.....

🎆:cool:

Much safer dude.

RB

Cathaholic

RB Astro, Not sure what you're getting at with almost any of your comments. Not baiting at all. And I think you very thoroughly missed my point, basically everywhere. Such is life.

As far as lighting the lines on fire. If It was at all possible for the fishing line to light (instead of just melting at the point of focus), depending on the coating on the lines around here they could possibly burn. After all, when a line gets taken down and replaced here the first thing someone does (not me, but this is hickville) is throw it in a pile and light it on fire to burn off the petrol based coating and then sell what's left for scrap. I'm betting that's only possible with old power lines, but I doubt they get replaced that often around here, so better safe than sorry.

Depending on the cost of the answer people gave me here it might not have been cheaper to buy new lures. They don't give them away, as a matter of fact I'd say most lures are expensive for what they are. But of course that depended on the feasibility of the whole idea, which people have pointed out, is nil.

As for safety, like I said, I was also looking for opinions there, but aside from the concerns I already pointed out and planned to avoid (line integrity, possible fire risks, what's in the background) it doesn't sound dangerous almost at all, especially given the lack of feasibility. I would ask for specifics of the dangers you are thinking of, but it doesn't really matter now. People much more experienced than myself say it won't work, I'll take their words for it.

WizardG, your suggestion reminds me of the video of the drone removing some obstruction from a power line using a flamethrower. I'm guessing wherever that was, the lines weren't coated with anything too flammable, but again, better safe than sorry on the whole avoiding fire thing, haha.

Thanks everyone for the informative answers, you saved me from purchasing things I don't need and spending time on a project that wouldn't work, so I appreciate you. Have a great day!

what ev' you do try to be safe. has anyone asked a 'real' linesman--what does the power companies do.?.
I doubt very much that they would approved of any of the many suggestions.. they own the lines and the poles etc so we really have no biz doing anything. btw there are lots of lures attached to the many 'snags' underwater and they are fair game.
Lost monofiliment is a real danger to many animals.

best wishes--& good luck

hak

gazer101

Not so much illegal as technically challenging. What are you going to do, attach a robotic arm to the drone?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Not so much illegal as technically challenging. What are you going to do, attach a robotic arm to the drone?
Sharpen up the leading edges of the props and cut the monofilament that way.

Encap

Others who have asked about cutting monofiliment nylon have been looking to cut nylon lines attached to arcade vending machine items to take the items and circumvent the need to pay to play. None of them were ever reported as successful. lol

gazer101

Others who have asked about cutting monofiliment nylon have been looking to cut nylon lines attached to arcade vending machine items to take the items and circumvent the need to pay to play. None of them were ever reported as successful. lol
A successful thief would never report themselves as successful XD