Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it legal to build DIY's?

I plan to build a blu-ray, but my dad is worried about the legalabilty (is that even a word :D) of it. I know it's not illegal to import the parts, but is it legal to posses the finished product? <example>You can buy the stuff to build a bomb online, and most of the stuff is legal /example And so I don't raise more questions, it will be used responsibly. I know that this board is biased, and I'll look at the FDA page and use these as opinions. Thanks. :)
EDIT: There is nothing on the site about possesion, only buying/selling. Hmm, there may still be time...

the word your looking for is legality. i believe they are illegal but it boils down to how much attention you draw to yourself with a laser. if you run around shining it at planes then the feds may come knockin at your door but if not you shouldnt have anything to worry about. if you truly use it responsibly you shouldnt have too much to worry about.

No it is not illegal to build your own laser system. The FDA governs the manufacture, importation, and sale of laser systems. If you sell the laser without the proper registration and safety requirements it will be illegal but to construct your own devices is not illegal. Enjoy your build.

You will have to check with your local constabulary about local laws regarding the possession of laser systems. Most locales do not have ordinances preventing ownership. Many, however, have laws against their possession and use in public.

Thank you very much. If I build it, I'll put some pics in the multimedia. "If" because it's still not 100%.

Kenom

It's really hard to find out if it's illegal in a given area too. Here in montana, I've searched high and low in the MCA (montana code annotated) to see if there are any legislation that has been passed governing laser possession. It took me weeks of reading through many pages, but I did find there are no laws in my state governing the owning of lasers. You can usually find your own laws published online.

Good luck and hope they aren't in your area.

Razako

You should be fine. Just don't go on a laser rampage and start shining it at helicopters or police cars.

daguin

Artix said:
Remember, It is only illegal if you get caught...

If it's illegal if you get caught, it's still illegal if you don't get caught. It's just no trouble if you don't get caught. ;)

Peace,
dave