Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is anyone into labbys anymore?

hey guys, if i were to start a little labby business, would anyone consider buying any? they will all be phr diodes. it will look like xcreedx's custom labby with only a few modifications. so does anyone think they would buy any?

If you're going to sell lab-style lasers, make sure to include modulation capability. The standard hobbyist use for lab-style lasers is in laser show equipment.

Interesting that you should mention this. I am just about to make one!! :)

Mine should be able to keep a 95W laser cool with a fan! Or at leat I hope it will. :)

Jaseth

What he means is that you should provide blanking - as in an amp which can turn the laser on and off (or turn up and down power if you are using advanced projection and colour blending) many thousand times per second. Without this capability you cannot really use the laser for scanner shows as all things you draw will have lines between them (for example, a picture of a smiley would have a line from the "head" to the eyes, then the mouth, but with blanking the laser would turn off when scanning from one area to another.
I think you can buy amps seperately and connect them to labbys to provide this feature but I don't recall which place was selling them..

Seb

Interesting that you should mention this. I am just about to make one!! :)

Mine should be able to keep a 95W laser cool with a fan! Or at leat I hope it will. :)

ya i turn my fan on and everything is as cool as it started out. even after 20 min!!

What he means is that you should provide blanking - as in an amp which can turn the laser on and off (or turn up and down power if you are using advanced projection and colour blending) many thousand times per second. Without this capability you cannot really use the laser for scanner shows as all things you draw will have lines between them (for example, a picture of a smiley would have a line from the "head" to the eyes, then the mouth, but with blanking the laser would turn off when scanning from one area to another.
I think you can buy amps seperately and connect them to labbys to provide this feature but I don't recall which place was selling them..

Seb

honestly, this is just meant to be a labby with a phr or an 8x(i guess it can be a special order) with 3 switches a fan and batteries. im only 14 and iv been told im very reliable, but i cant tell all of you that i will be able to make many adjustments since i dont have enough money.

does anyone know how much they would buy a labby like that for?
here is a link to xcreedx's labby. its pretty much the same without the led's over the switches.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/custom-labby-build-26346.html

I only have one problem....finding a project box that can handle a heat sink that is 3.5in in diameter.

well im gonna be using the silver host heatsinks from dark horse customs in a radioshack project box (black)

I am going to use a Heat sink that was originally made for a 95W quad core cpu.
Coper core. :)
If anyone has any ideas as to what kind of box to put this in, please speak up. :)
DSCN2548.jpg

DSCN2547.jpg

DSCN2546.jpg

EDIT: I am not trying to steal the thread. I am just posting these pictures to hopefully stir up ideas from other members that might be able to help me make my Labby.

I am 100% sure that your labby is way more than capable to do what everyone wants. :)

Last edited:
o and just so you know radioshack also has project boxes definitely big enough to fit you heatsink. =]