Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR beam into VIsible beam how?

Those square diodes are c-mount diodes and they are not DPSS, in that link you posted they even say "red diode laser" in the first sentence of the description. It must just be a typo :p

671nm is red DPSS

alf638

Ok, firstly if you drive it at the right voltage and current it will burn things VERY easily as long as you focus it. buy an aixiz module and a collimating lens. Google DDL driver, build it and use that. Secondly you wont be able to easily convert IR (infrared) into red light but you can turn it into green with a special crystal. These are quite costly and the best way to obtain one is to pull apart an old green laser and use that. Lastly you can not buy infrared-seeing glasses (that I know of), but you can purchase cards from CNI lasers thatallow you to see it. I dont actually own one but they look great. The best way in my opinion to see infrared is to look at the beam through a digital camera- it will appear purple-white.
IR lasers are dangerous because you can not see the beam normally so I reakon you should buy anti IR glasses. They are quite expensive but what is worth more $100 or so dollars or your eyes?

Have fun, stay safe and let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

anselm

7 months later, do you really think he still cares?:rolleyes:
Next time, check the date before posting...

I imagine this guy lost interest when he realized he wasn't going to get a bright visible beam and be able to set stuff on fire from 100' away with his cheap 808nm diode, since all three of the posts he's ever made are in this thread and 7 months ago.

alf638

Yeah, I know I was really bored last night so I gave him some basics and maybe someone else will find it usefull one day, even though your probably right about the guy who posted it.

rhd

Actually - you're right. Your post actually DID give me a useful (maybe) idea, and I had nothing to do with the initial thread.

Specifically, the idea of harvesting crystals from a cheaper green pointer. Maybe this is an old idea, I don't know (I'm new here too)

But in theory, the green 532nm DPSS process is 25% or so efficient right? By my math, a $20 1w 808nm diode + a $10 driver + a $5 cheap green eBay laser harvested for the crystals, could yield $35 Green 532nm Laser at ~250mw, with a bit of work and patience.

Yes / No / Maybe / Stupid Idea?

alf638

See, I should have (even if the thread was three years old and the guy has not posted since). Yeah, to my knowledge that would work but I havent tried it or heard of others doing it. I actually have a cheap green laser from ebay on its way to test the same thing but with 500 or 300mw infrared:yh:

HIMNL9

Actually - you're right. Your post actually DID give me a useful (maybe) idea, and I had nothing to do with the initial thread.

Specifically, the idea of harvesting crystals from a cheaper green pointer. Maybe this is an old idea, I don't know (I'm new here too)

But in theory, the green 532nm DPSS process is 25% or so efficient right? By my math, a $20 1w 808nm diode + a $10 driver + a $5 cheap green eBay laser harvested for the crystals, could yield $35 Green 532nm Laser at ~250mw, with a bit of work and patience.

Yes / No / Maybe / Stupid Idea?

It depend also from the crystal set ..... using a small cheap crystal set that can hold 300 / 500 mW of IR with an 1W or more IR diode, can work ..... for a very little time, before the crystal get damaged or cracked from the overpowered IR ;)

alf638

Thanks, I would have found that out the hard way:yabbem:
Anyway at that price still worth it in my opinion. I will probably only use 300-500mw but even then I think I will only use it in short bursts.:yh:

rhd

My sense is that with a 300mw IR 808, put into a cheap green unit, you'll end up with ~60mw of 532nm if you're lucky.

If the 532nm DPSS process is usually 20% efficient, but up to 35% efficient, you'll probably be getting the 20% in this scenario.

In that case, the $10 for a crappy green, plus the $6 for an 808nm IR diode, and you're at $16. Plus, you may need to upgrade the driver depending on what it was meant to handle previously.

But even at $16.... you're not far off of the cost of just buying a 50mw green module, and probably at about the same power, with less reliability.

So maybe there IS a catch after all :)

HIMNL9

Well, less efficent thanb so, usually ..... for non-labby "tuned and matched" cavities, it's usually around 20%, with sometimes 25% at maximum, and sometimes "cheap" chinese modules just reach 10 to 15%.

Keep in mind that, for save money, most of these modules are built without any correction and focusing element between the IR LD and the crystal (just placing the LD chip nearest possible to the crystal input face), and that those glued crystals have no external resonant cavity (the cavity is the crystal itself, i mean, the AR/HR coating on the sides of the crystal) ..... this gives you less efficency than a lab style tuned cavity.

alf638

I think I will end up using 500mw or 1000mw in short bursts and maybe have to replace the crystal.