Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IQS (itemquick ship) Laser Round-up

Just FYI. This is an unscientific mini-review and observation. No LPM, just visual evaluation. No beamshot pictures.

I did a side-by-side comparison of the #90 - 105 and the #120. Both were using identical batteries. One set of batteries had some time on it, the other set was brand new.

With #90 - 105 old batteries and #120 new batteries in a dark room: The dots were not significantly different. However, the #90 - 105 had a perceptibly stronger beam.

With #90 - 105 new batteries and #120 old batteries in a dark room: The #90 - 105 had a very obviously stronger beam.

With #90 - 105 old batteries and #120 new batteries in a medium sized room lit with 250W incandescent light: The #90 - 105 had a visible beam when shot across a dark blue fabric background. The #120 did not have a visible beam.

Conclusion: For my two samples, at least, the #90 - 105 is a non-trivially stronger laser than the #120.

I think perhaps it is not worth getting into too much of a sweat over which of these pointers is available. I think that it might be just the luck of the draw.

rhd

My #200 arrived two days ago. I've been using it sporadically, maybe 5 minutes of use in total since then.

Then this evening I got it out again, turned it on, and about 3 seconds later it went dark. I can now see that there's a pinkish light (presumably the IR diode), but no green.

Not sure what's going on here, but I'm not impressed - not for $115.

I'm thinking that if the IR diode is still firing, then maybe it's some sort of crystal alignment issue? I haven't disassembled anything to investigate further - didn't want to invalidate any warranty - though the fact that I took off all the stickers may have accomplished this anyway.

Honestly - pretty crappy lifespan for a 532nm I spent $115 on. I know it's no $700 CNI product, but 5 minutes of use over 2 days? Booo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-02-25 01.01.51.jpg
    2011-02-25 01.01.51.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 263

madog

This guy rocks! I've purchased about 20 units from him. Most green, some purple. One of my purple pens hits 90mw with el cheapo batteries! Does anyone know the owner of IQS's user name here?

Last edited:

rhd

lol, a faint purple is about all my $115 green does now!

Yup it's only putting out IR which isn't good. Check your battery first. My SB #6 did that and I was kinda pissed until I thought to check the battery. It was down to ~2.8v. Popped in a fresh one and it was happy again.

Bobby

My #200 arrived two days ago. I've been using it sporadically, maybe 5 minutes of use in total since then.

Then this evening I got it out again, turned it on, and about 3 seconds later it went dark. I can now see that there's a pinkish light (presumably the IR diode), but no green.

Not sure what's going on here, but I'm not impressed - not for $115.

I'm thinking that if the IR diode is still firing, then maybe it's some sort of crystal alignment issue? I haven't disassembled anything to investigate further - didn't want to invalidate any warranty - though the fact that I took off all the stickers may have accomplished this anyway.

Honestly - pretty crappy lifespan for a 532nm I spent $115 on. I know it's no $700 CNI product, but 5 minutes of use over 2 days? Booo.
Really sorry to hear that rhd ...

I have 6 of his lasers (all green), and have had this happen to none of them. I have between 15 and 30 minutes of "on-time" on each of them, in 30sec increments.

If you have a LPM, can you tell us what power the laser is giving when it is red-dot but no green? As I understand it, the max output of a green is ~1/4-1/8th the output of the source IR, so if the crystal truly fell out of alignment, it would be 4x-8x the power ...

I think you should email IQS and ask him what he suggests -- he'll probably offer to replace or refund.

Bobby

This guy rocks! I've purchased about 20 units from him. Most green, some purple. One of my purple pens hits 90mw with el cheapo batteries! Does anyone know the owner of IQS's user name here?
AFAIK, he does not have an LPF login.

jakeGT

Also, about IR, I have heard claims of people ordering 400mW rated green models, with over half of the output being IR

rhd

Just a thought - maybe the new "Chinese norm" for ~300mW is ~$125 ?

I mean, that's what the dinodirect "power certified" 532nm lasers are selling for at 300mW. And after all, I'm pretty sure that no single source has a special "in" with the chinese budget laser makers.

I could be wrong - I don't know anything about chinese supply chain - but maybe this is just the price range we should start expecting?

At last found this thread has anyone talked to the seller lately? ive emailed him on ebay but he hasnt replied back, my laser was defective to so i sent it back but i have no clue on whats happening.

rhd

Same - mine died in a few minutes. Sent back. He's been communicating, but it's spotty.

I hate myself for saying it, but might we have been better off spending the same money on a power checked 300mw from Dino Direct. Ugh that feels dirty....