Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Investment Opportunity Advice Needed

Still, he doesn't want the stuff for himself, but for resale. That's speculation by anyones definition. And the "worth more" depends on the market - I wouldn't take the stuff for free.

There are people here in this forum who might be interested - I'd say the best thing would be to contact them, give them an overview of what's available (in itself already difficult if you don't speak the language) and ask whether they might be interested in anything, and for how much, without any commitment. That'd give you something to work with.

You wouldn't take the stuff for free? Sounds like your loss.. Without taking the lasers' status into account: all those optics (2 gas lasers worth among other things), power supplies, casing, the data on those tapes, VERY high-end galvos and drivers, diffraction gratings, possibly a lumia wheel, and undoubtedly lots of other goodies.. Lexel laser is a VERY respected manufacturer of gas lasers. Anything from them is likely to be first rate. No pics necessary to get an idea of what's in there. But you're right: They're only good to those of us that actually know how to use them. Fortunately for pianoman there are quite a lot of us here and on PL.. just not you apparently.

Last edited:

I would like to note that although I AM buying this to sell, I WILL NOT sell it, until I learn about it AND understand all the parts FIRST. My "life philosophy" is to never pass up an opportunity to learn. When else in my life will I have one of these available to examine? SO, don't get your hopes up about me staying in the dark too long. When I first joined the high voltage forum 4hv.org, with the hope to build a tesla coil, everyone told me I didn't know enough, and there was no way I could build one over the summer. However, I understand it fully now, and it will be complete this week! Just throwing that out there. If members would like to help me "understand" this equipment and what the parts do when I get it...I am a VERY fast learner! Thanks

Ok, here is the only pic I currently have, sorry it is a crappy cell phone pic and it doesn't show much worth seeing. It only includes the laser housing. The rest of the equipment, (control box, power supply, ADAT tapes and reader) are not in the picture, as well as the inner workings. Will have those posted soon once I get it and can take it apart.

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 86
I would like to note that although I AM buying this to sell, I WILL NOT sell it, until I learn about it AND understand all the parts FIRST. My "life philosophy" is to never pass up an opportunity to learn. When else in my life will I have one of these available to examine? SO, don't get your hopes up about me staying in the dark too long. When I first joined the high voltage forum 4hv.org, with the hope to build a tesla coil, everyone told me I didn't know enough, and there was no way I could build one over the summer. However, I understand it fully now, and it will be complete this week! Just throwing that out there. If members would like to help me "understand" this equipment and what the parts do when I get it...I am a VERY fast learner! Thanks

Great, then! Welcome, I hope you stay with us for long :)

thanks for the "southern hospitality" It's nice to be on a forum without trolls :) and morons.

haha, yeah I figured. But so far, no problems. Check my other thread, advice for buying a laser. Please leave comments there as well. I'm going to attempt to take apart my green ebay laser that sucks.

Last edited:
UPDATE!!! I just talked to a rep from Lexel who gave me some very good information! A big thank you goes out to him, he was very nice and very helpful. No wonder Lexel has such a great reputation, it was obvious he knew exactly what he was talking about.

SO...here is the next scoop. It has a very nice PCAOM housed inside and the galvos are all in good condition as far as I know (will update you once I get it and look inside) I'm also getting the ADAT player with it which is in EXCELLENT condition and still works great. I will also be getting several old ADAT's and selling them, i'll let you know what is on them soon to! It's possible that copies could be made after checking the copyright and contacting the author, for those of you who might be wondering ;) in 2005 Lexel put a brand new tube in so that should be good for a nice long time. :) It's a 4W white light system, and it runs on 2.25W Red, 1W blue and I think .75W yellow. It's very well balanced. When it was tested in 2007 it was running at 5.6 W on 35 Amps, pretty impressive. It has a very good mode coming out. Also, the power supply was repaired about 2 years ago, so its like new as well!

Last edited:
@ElektroFreak: I've no problem leaving this deal to pianoman who obviously does take pleasure in it.

But, let's talk specifics. How much would you say pianoman can get for this stuff? As you say you're one who can use it: how much are you going to offer him?

After you postings I wouldn't assume that you'll let this great opportunity pass you by. Or?

^I have an interest in several parts, depending on what kind of money Pianoman is looking for, but he has another thread on this item on another forum where I have have been watching. There is considerable interest in the item there, but I would be more comfortable waiting to hear if he is selling the complete unit of selling it off in parts. It definitely not worthless, if that's what you're insinuating. A new PCAOM can run into the thousands for a quality unit, and that's just one part. People who are into laser shows have a great interest in finding parts like that on the used market as opposed to new for obvious reasons.. As far as my offers to other members (if any) that's not really anyone's business but my own and the person receiving the offer..

For future reference, rather than decry something you know very little about, I'd do a bit of research first.. it makes your arguments a bit more solid.

It's pretty likely that I know more about making money than you do (because that's the topic here - not vintage lasers - just in case you're confused on this point). Also, I have nowhere said that the unit is worthless; but I was telling pianoman that he should find and check the market first. I think that's pretty solid advice. YMMV.

The PCAOM, I compared it with the book, value, new , and discussed it with a Lexel agent, and based on the quality it's in, it's worth a reasonable amount. I will give details later. As for selling the system as a whole or breaking it down and selling parts, I don't know yet. I will determine that once I can study the system and see the condition. *Also* note that it is a ONE tube AR/KR system, the red is LOW but not broken. Meaning it should still have about 75% or thereabouts of it's original color spectrum. The other 25% is just to dim to be seen. Thanks for your interest.

-Jonathan-

Last edited:
Good news everyone. The Lexel system is now in my possession. Just got it home and setup today. Unfortunately, and I say unfortunately with a huge sigh, I cannot run it until I find out a way to get 3 phase power to it. It has variable voltage ranges that can easily be adjusted inside the power box, but requires 35 Amps of 3 phase, which I don't have in my house. Anyone know a solution? I contacted an electrician friend, but he said a box to convert to 3 phase at that power would probably be about 300-350 US dollars. Everything else is in place and dying to be turned on! Please help me out guys!

You're gonna need a beefy rotary phase converter to run that at home, and it's gonna suck a lot of juice. You also need to hook up water lines to cool the ion laser.

You should probably have someone there that knows how to operate ion lasers, or at least post more information on the system and make sure nothing else is being forgotten - because if you don't fire this thing up properly, it could easily be damaged

I have the users manual and have read the entire thing. I also asked the previous owners how to properly use the system and they detailed everything I need to do, they even had equipment check sheets and proper startup instructions. I'm very confident in my ability to run it properly, I'm very sensible when it comes to such things. Just to make sure, I will definately post some pictures.

I assume the 35 amps is total (not per phase), in which case you're looking at about 8KW of power. I don't know where you're gonna find an 8KW rotary phase converter for $350, seems you're looking at a minimum of $600 from all the places I've seen, nevermind the shipping costs on a 12 HP electric motor.

A static phase converter is not something I'd want to risk using on electronics like an ion laser power supply, they simply use some capacitors and coils to create a "lag" on the created phase. Motors run by these converters are limited to 2/3 their rated power, so I can't imagine that being good for the power supply.