Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!!

Benm

Re: INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!

Daedal said:
[quote author=Zarniwoop link=1192523830/165#178 date=1201453438]I think benm meant sending a "Phazor" diode to DrLava.

That'd probably be an option (a good one) once the diodes arrive and I have an extra one to push ;)

--DDL[/quote]

That's what i meant indeed... it would be very valuable to many laser builders here to have some plots of how it behaves in terms of power output and voltage as a function of current. Especially when you don't have a power meter you're always in the dark without proper graphs.

I would be very interested to see at what current it delivers 200 mW, so i have something to aim for. Longevity at that power level remains to be seen i guess.

I'd love to see a plot of a destructive test (or at least one that shows the "knee" on the graph) - I just don't want to be the one to pay for the extra diode.  :)
Really otherwise I'm leaning toward buying another open can DVD burner.

Gazoo

There is a chart and I will include it in this post. However what some of us want to know is what is the voltage in relation to the current. For example, my open can running on 350ma's has 2.8 volts across the diode. My SenKat diode running at 250ma's has 3 volts across the diode. By adding the voltage curve to the graph it may help in knowing how sturdy this phaser diode actually is.

Attachments

• PhaserChart.JPG
    PhaserChart.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 61

So here's when I (roughly) add in the numbers from Hemlock Mike's open-can graph (appologies if some values are a digit or two off):

Attachments

• PhaserAndOpenCan.JPG
    PhaserAndOpenCan.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 63

Gazoo

Right..the open can and phasor diode have very similar curves. We are finding the open can outputs appx. 50mw's more when used with a meredith glass lens.

Jayrob and I have found running the open cans at 420ma's they are capable of between 285 to 309 mw's of output! No idea how long they will last but so far so good.

The thing is, the graph doesn't show anything above 250mW for the Phazor. I guess we don't know where it would top-out (with cooling).
If it would go as high as an open-can (or higher), then $34's a good deal.

drlava

Once I receive one I will publish the voltage and mW output curves, compared to open can. no problem.

Gazoo

drlava said:
Once I receive one I will publish the voltage and mW output curves, compared to open can. no problem.

Thank you...the data would be very helpful. I am going to post a quote from Daedal from his review thread as follows along with a link to that thread:

Daedal said:
Alright... The results are yet to be graphed then... but... I pushed one of the diodes up to 700mA and achieved a maximum of 323mW (TEC COOLED) from one before it just gave up and turned into a VERY expensive LED... :'( :'( That REALLY hurt! :'( :'(

The other one is still going strong as I just got too sad and decided to sleep on it a bit before I start work on the other one again... :-/

I felt very bad when the beam was so damn defined in the room and then just !!POOF!! was gone!! :eek:

At 600mA though it was burning dark stuff (quick stop to try and burn the back off my screwdriver) without being collimated (fat beam burning stuff looks incredible!). Unfortunately the test was a resilience test and only the maximum reading from the LPM was recorded... The next one will probably be in a couple of days when I feel up to it to see yet another amazing diode take the dive into LED world... :-[

Sorry the data wasn't graphed any more properly, and isn't very complete... but I think it's fair to say that without pulsed drive and with sufficient heat sinking, this little sucker can be driven at ~350mA to give a nice solid 200mW red beam! At that power level and with the heat that I experienced, the duty cycle would be around a minute in a flashlight with a heat sink like the one Kenom is using. With a fan-cooled heat sink or with a TEC cooled diode, these will be alive and well and kicking out amazing power for a very long time. :)

Thank you all for the help and for making this possible. Without the donations of the very generous and kind members of this forum, this would have not been possible. I appreciate your help and support with this matter and welcome any feedback and/or suggestions for the next test setup.

Regards;
DDL

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190328953/0

Kenom

still don't see where we can even pay for these.

polop

if it is not to late can i put myself in for one of these they look sweet.
I'm in the uk so hopefully postage isnt a problem.
good work on these guys

Daedal were are these? i dont know maybe shipping was delayed cause of the chinese new year

Hey, did these LDs ever come? I would like 1 or 2 myself. By the way...I agree that pulsing the diodes is the way to go. Might as well get the most bang for the buck!

I am attaching a good pulsing circuit I found that uses a MC33202 OpAmp & could easily be used:

Pulsed Laser Diode Driver Circuit.gif

You can find the MC3302 OpAmp Datasheet using Google, as I can't post 'links" yet.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Pulsed_Laser_Diode_Driver_Circuit.gif
    Pulsed_Laser_Diode_Driver_Circuit.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,826

This is a pulsed model operating at about 4.5 kHz with a 50% duty cycle. The circuit could be altered to increase the pulse rate & duty cycle.

roSSco

I thought I ordered 4 of these, but realized that I ordered 4 blu-rays instead. ::) Damn I feel stupid! :D