Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Inexpensive Blu-Ray Laser Pens... worth a look..

what mW was it advertised as? I got a 10mW from o-like, and as it came in the mail it could poof smoke from leathers and sting your skin. After trying to mod it, and feeding better batteries, it lights sharpied matches within 2 seconds.

mdjd07

oh man cant wait to see the vids when i get home from work...cant see them on my phone :(

Xer0

Is the color important or is also black the color which absorb most?

Like you can see on the video, i melted even white parts of the plastic card.
Also i tried with paper and Edding. on the painted part, its puffs smoke and destroys the color. on the clean surface, i mean that i saw something, and the color while under diffuse bluray light has changed, but im not sure. i think for white paper you need atleast a 6x...

im trying to cut sharpied and loaded Tesa tape. didnt get it to split yet, but at least it melts the film so much, you need just to pull a bit and it tears apart.

I have a laser listed at 10mW that can burn through floppy disks :san: Wanna estimate what power output I'm seeing?

Xer0

Update: Yes i can slowly cut throug sharpied Tesa Tape with it :D

DJNY

Got mine today - nice thing, the beam is visible in a dark room!
Do the better blu-ray models also have such a big beam divergence?

Edit: very interesting... dot on a yellow postfix is white, on a white wall it is violet and on a white cardboard it is beautiful blue! I think surface structure also plays a decisive role. I think for most people this isn´t new, but I didn´t know it, so it was quite juicy

Last edited:
So i would be able to just swap the diode with a 150mw 405mw blu-ray from this pen and it would work?

~im still a noob and im proud to admit haha.

Aah, finally got my BR pointer this morning! :D yay!

The pointer arrived in a plain bag with a very thin bubblewrap sleeve and included a pair of chinese AAA batteries. It's a sturdy little pointer so it is in perfect condition.
laserbr.jpg

Described as #16966 5mW 405nm violet purple beam laser pointer from an ebay seller called etimeshop, from Kowloon, Hong Kong. the cost was $11.49 US including shipping.

The laser itself is a plain 15 cm standard pen host in all points similar to my 5 mW greenie that I got from eBay about a year ago. Batteries goes head first, with + at the bottom of the tube and - in contact with the spring at the laser end (just like the greenie). Pressing on the button produced a fairly dim purple spot until it hit a piece of white paper... holy smokes! Pretty impressive blast of violet blue photons!!!

Here's the laser pointed at exactly 2 meters, on a piece of paper:
spot1.jpg

Sweet!

Here's the laser beam just off the piece of paper on a gray wall. You'll notice the odd shape of the dot, which is about 3.5 mm at in lenght and 2mm in width from two meters away.
dkspot2.jpg

The beam is very consistent, and does not seem to vary in intensity, even with the cheapo batteries. Can't wait to try this baby with a pair of Energizer Lithium ;) Next off was evaluating its power with the famed Laserbee2 HLPM.
lbmeter2.jpg

The result? 34 mW!! :D :eg:
That's more than I expected!

batteries: 2xAAA
weight: 57 g (with batteries)
lenght: 152 mm
width: 13.8 mm

I would be tempted to dismantle it but I think i'll wait till my other units arrive, then i'll report on what's the driver used, which diode, what are the optics used and what type of module... Until then, thanks for reading! :D
- Robert

Xer0

Uh my came without batteries :( ...customs' officers needed fresch AAA's for their TV? :D

KiLLrB

Noice:D cant wait till mine gets here i got the same one from etimeshop good to see these BR pointers are overspec.

empty

I just got mine today, it took about 20 days to get to the Philippines. Packaging was the same, bubble wrap around the pen and a padded mailer, no batteries for mine as well.

This is my first violet laser so I did not know what to expect. Coming from red and green lasers I was kinda disappointed. It seemed pretty weak (I was in the car but in broad daylight when I first powered it up). When I got it indoors it looked better but still not very impressive. However when I lit up the tip of my yellow hilighter pen a big smile came on my face. WOW! :)

I dont have an LPM so I can't measure how much power it puts out. When I put a magnifying lens on it (salvaged from an optical drive) and find the focal point it can burn matches instantly and can easily engrave black CD cases.

The only thing bugging me is the shape of the dot. It isnt perfectly round and when viwed from a distance seems to have a secondary dot that is wider and off axis from the main beam. Its hard to explain and I cant capture it on camera. If you look at the dot from an angle from the right side there is someting like a halo to the left of the dot (like a "drop shadow" in graphic design speak) bit if you shift your viewing ange to the left of the dot the halo will move to the right. Is this normal?

Here is what the dot looks like, 1 foot away on a black document binder.

121779654.jpg

I just ordered one of these lasers a couple days ago and have sense been reading around on these forums and was wondering whats with all the fear of lasers being shipped w/ batteries to the US? This laser does come w/ batteries IIRC.

Just got the E-mail saying it was shipped today so its to late to request that it not ship w/ batteries.

Last edited:

bp968

I just ordered one of these lasers a couple days ago and have sense been reading around on these forums and was wondering whats with all the fear of lasers being shipped w/ batteries to the US? This laser does come w/ batteries IIRC.

Just got the E-mail saying it was shipped today so its to late to request that it not ship w/ batteries.

Both mine made it no problem. But no batteries. Slightly different colors between them and one is noticeably brighter then the other and will give a visible beam at night when your close to source (if your behind the laser its a bright gorgeous violet beam, 4 feet to one side and you can't see it).

I'll be interested to see how they meter when I can get them metered.

daguin

Everyone should have a couple of these low powered units around for fluorescence anyway.

Peace,
dave