Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

InExepnsive diode press "tool"

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just got a 3 by 3/8 inch aluminum rod and drilled a 3 mm hole in one end for the leads to go into. Then I put the rod into my drill press as if it was a drill bit. Then position it above the host and press the diode in. It wont center it for you but it will press the diode in completely level. It works well enough.

I don't like using twisting C-clamps to press diodes. I lost a LOC diode by using a C-clamp and the back of an Aixiz modual to press it in. The clamp twisted the Aixiz module and sheered off a lead. :oops:

-Tony

Benm

I love all the creative ideas here :)

I usually just press it flush with the backside of the aixiz module using a vise, but there is definitely easy to obtain stuff to press it a little beyond flush if required.

The drill press idea sounds nice ! I was wondering if anyone has thought of using a small arbor press (like those found at Harbor Freight) to install diodes ?

Benm

Using a drill press is a good idea, i just don't have one ;)

The main advantage over a vise would be that you can set things up vertically, so the diode rests in the place its supposed to go. With a vise you have to keep it from falling down/out... unless you were to put a vise on its side (never tried that).

I just got a 3 by 3/8 inch aluminum rod and drilled a 3 mm hole in one end for the leads to go into. Then I put the rod into my drill press as if it was a drill bit. Then position it above the host and press the diode in. It wont center it for you but it will press the diode in completely level. It works well enough.

I don't like using twisting C-clamps to press diodes. I lost a LOC diode by using a C-clamp and the back of an Aixiz modual to press it in. The clamp twisted the Aixiz module and sheered off a lead. :oops:

-Tony
Yes I can see why a C-clamp can be risky and possibly shear off a lead do to twisting. I've always used a regular Vise myself to avoid twisting that is inherent to a C-Clamp and I think that is really the root cause of why some had lost a diode do to a lead being sheared off, not so much the home made fixture they were using.

The Drill Press idea does make a lot of sense, and as for self centering, well no matter what method you use, you still have to place the diode in the module by hand correctly anyhow; just eyeball it up and you should be good to go, when you get in a hurry is when you'll have a problem, no matter what method you use.

Thanks for sharing.

I use a Vise and set it up vertically, and lock it in that position; works really well.

Quick question, what does it mean by "centering a diode"?

And is it hard to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.