Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

In Stock! Trustfire TR-801 Kits!

Hey everyone got my kit yesterday uber fast shipping btw. The host feels very nice in the hand and the weight is distributed evenly when the battery is in place. The threads are very clean and smooth i don't know if they came that way or Moh cleaned them up a bit. The pill is very roomy IMHO and should provide great heat sinking. The host when assembled is very nice looking the aluminum pill divider is a nice addition to the overall look of the host. The tail clicky feels nice and solid. The only drawback i can see is if you want to focus higher powered diodes you will have to set the focus before you turn the laser on so you don't get burned or maybe Moh can make us a nice focus adapter for those doing high powered builds:) Personally i don't mind ill just set the focus to infinity and leave it i have other lasers for burning. All in all this is a great host at a great price and super fast shipping. Thanks Moh:bowdown:

vk2fro

Come on bank, hurry up! Thanks for the report on the quality tysonc :)

And yes I have burned myself on a 445 trying to focus the silly thing - these two pointers will be set to infinity focus as they are just that, pointers, not burners :)

I got mine along with a Hotlights kit yesterday. Both hosts are very nice. I was going to build a 12x in this host but I'm thinking maybe of building the 12x in the hotlights due to its larger heatsink and the PHR in this host. However after looking closer at the way the heatsink fits into the pill, the way the head screws onto the pill and the way the whole assembly screws into the host body i think there's probably enough heatsinking to give a 12x running at ~450ma plenty of run time. hmm... :thinking:

I got mine along with a Hotlights kit yesterday. Both hosts are very nice. I was going to build a 12x in this host but I'm thinking maybe of building the 12x in the hotlights due to its larger heatsink and the PHR in this host. However after looking closer at the way the heatsink fits into the pill, the way the head screws onto the pill and the way the whole assembly screws into the host body i think there's probably enough heatsinking to give a 12x running at ~450ma plenty of run time. hmm... :thinking:

Decisions, decisions......

:D

Well for grins and giggles I got out my kitchen scale and did some measurements of the heatsinks for this host, a hotlights and guidesman.

Guidesman: 30g
Hotlights: 20g
Trustfire: 6g

The results weren't shocking but when I assembled the head for the trustfire kit it weighed it at a nice 28g which should provide plenty of mass to draw away heat from the diode. I think if I removed the GITD o-rings I'd get even better heat transfer from the head to the body of the host.

Yeah that metal pill is a heavy little bastard.
I have a direct diode version of the heat sink...but unfortunately i dropped my 445nm diode and cannot find it!!
I searched all over the work bench which is covered in aluminum shaving....with no luck.

So I can't test the heat sink's lens compartment for proper depth until i can get a working diode....and I can't use a lpc-815 diode because microdrives SUCK and can't be used with LOC diodes..rawr

It was old and abused. I can't sell lasers so every time i make a new build i use the same diode.....this diode had been popped in an out of aixiz modules 3 or 4 times and probably soldered onto a driver about 10 times.

....those diodes are pretty tough.

Ok. It's number finally came up. Some of the 445's seem to be indestructible, and others can die if you breathe on them wrong.

vk2fro

ok - all paid - look forward to getting one of these for myself as one of my friends cancelled his laser order (financial problems) so guess whos soon gonna have his own 1 watt portable :)

Awesome, Payment received. I'll get them mailed off in a few hours when i come back from work.
Right now, it's time to go sit in my recliner at work and read my paramedic textbook.......

vk2fro

Thanks Mohrenberg! look forward to getting them :)

So to assemble one of these it seems I have to

1. strip/bypass the components from the original driver.
2. attach flaminpyro wire to driver pcb, + and -, connect to my flexdrive
3. Attach flaminpyro wire to flexdrive LD+ and LD-, push through pill
4. Epoxy (with thermal epoxy) the flexdrive to the back of pill
5. Resolder original (now blank) driver pcb to back of pill in original location
5. connect LD to flaminpyro wires on front side of pill
6. Reassemble host, locking aixiz into heatsink with setscrew, being careful not to twist LD wires.
7. insert battery and lase :p

(obviously I've left out finer points like heatshrinking etc, but this should cover me)

My flexdrive is coming from DrLava already set to 1 amp.

Last edited:
Yep that's all of it.

You'll also want to do it in those steps as well like you listed them. you'll want to mount the driver first, so that when you make the final step of sliding the heatsink into the pill, any slack in the wire will slide into the driver compartment.

It's a LOT harder to solder the driver last unless you have the skill to fit a pair of tweezers (to grab the wire) and a soldering iron inside the pill.

I still have 3 of these left and ready to go.
I'm waiting on 2 new hosts from Price angels......One comes in a box, and the host plugs directly into a wall or car charger (included) to charge the internal 18650 battery...hopefully it can be converted to a kit....

Price bump on these. $40 now.

Ok. It's number finally came up. Some of the 445's seem to be indestructible, and others can die if you breathe on them wrong.

and who knows i may find it laying on the floor a few weeks from now and have it back up and running :)

Tyson likes his first one so much he had to snatch up a second.

I've got 2 left now.

Hey Moh, received my host today and feels great !!! Kudos on the build :)
Jut 1 question, I've not used the thermal stuff before, you included 2 little baggies
one is grey and one is white, do I mix them together ???