Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

In need of a mentor

Mango

For an independent project, I chose to make a laser gun. Although this is for school, so it can't be anything more than just popping balloons. I don't know much about lasers or circuitry, but I wish to learn about it through building my own. Things I would need help with are what parts I need, what kind of light, what lens, and how to power it (besides a lithium ion battery). What I am asking for is someone to guide me through the process of making one, so that it works and cannot harm anyone. If there are any questions or anyone willing to help, then contact me at my email,
thecatalyst161@gmail.com

Thanks - Max

Last edited:

gozert

You'll have to do most of the learning yourself, and can ask us questions if you get stuck in the process. No one here is going to take your hand and guide you through every single step in order to make a laser.

I suggest you start at the thread in my signature and figure things out from there on.

Edit: Please add your location and make an introduction thread in the Welcome section as well.

Last edited:
Hi Mango :wave:
Welcome to the forum.
Where are you from as that can determine if certain things can be sent to you or not.
Do realize that a laser that can pop balloons has the potential to instantly blind you or bystanders if the beam or reflected beam hits an eye.
Please poke around and see all the great stuff in the world of lasers. Be sure to use the white search bar at the bottom of the page as there is a wealth of information to see here.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/i-want-build-laser-thread-52972.html
Remember to get proper safety laser goggles for the wavelength of your laser if it is over 5mW. Enjoy, have fun and most importantly be safe.
BTW, Please be sure to click on this link for a chance(s) to win a laser of your choice!! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/win-laser-forum-donations-fundraiser-contest-95194.html

Hi Mango :wave:
Welcome to the forum.
Where are you from as that can determine if certain things can be sent to you or not.
Do realize that a laser that can pop balloons has the potential to instantly blind you or bystanders if the beam or reflected beam hits an eye.
Please poke around and see all the great stuff in the world of lasers. Be sure to use the white search bar at the bottom of the page as there is a wealth of information to see here.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/i-want-build-laser-thread-52972.html
Remember to get proper safety laser goggles for the wavelength of your laser if it is over 5mW. Enjoy, have fun and most importantly be safe.
BTW, Please be sure to click on this link for a chance(s) to win a laser of your choice!! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/win-laser-forum-donations-fundraiser-contest-95194.html

Hi Mango,
Welcome Laser chick said it all if you don;t you'll be going nowhere fast.
As with Gozert he's correct also ad where your from and we would like to know more about you. Name ,rank ,serial number and so on LOL!!

Rich:)

Pman

Please tone it down a bit guys. Don't need to be chasing away someone just because they asked kindly for some help.
They are correct however about safety and unfortunately to be safe and you need to read the things in the links concerning what you are actually dealing with.
Welcome to the forum:) It's customary to introduce yourself in the welcome thread and also very important to state where you are from (such as at least the country) as members are able to answer your questions more easily because they may involve places where you can purchase things.

SyKo

Haha, this reminds me of myself when i was younger and without money, whenever i had the chance to pick a personal project of sorts i'd try to get lasers involved so my parents would fork out the cash for the diode and circuitry :D

Google and Forum stickies are your friend, its amazing what you can learn by sitting down and typing every thought you have into the magic search bar.

This is 2015, DO NOT take any lasers to school without written and I mean written and signed permission from a science teacher or school official who has the authority to grant you permission.

If your the right color and religion you can put a clock in a suitcase that looks like a doomsday device and the president will invite you to the white house.....someone pinch me I'm having that nightmare again.

But otherwise you can't take aspirin to school without permission.

Oh man I can't even finish this....Just do yourself a favor and get permission before taking any laser into a school or you could get into serious trouble.

Hi Mango,
The replies your hearing here now are not Bashes of any kind so don't misconstrue our comments. We actually care about you and how you will succeed in your endeavors on laser devices. Safety . planning and executing a build to have SUCCESS .. Making a mistake in this hobby is very costly trust me on this one buddy i know made plenty myself. So hang in there and read its you best teacher and folks will be happy to help i assure you that..

Best of luck Rich:)

Great catch on the school stuff RedCowboy.
Max, before you go any further. Do what RedCowboy stated and get written permission from both the teacher of the class and a school official from the office to okay bringing a laser project to school. You may want to get your Mom or Dad involved for this part.
You stated, "so that it works and cannot harm anyone" Sorry, but a laser that is strong enough to pop a balloon without using optics such as a focusing lens is strong enough to cause harm to someones eye.
Again, be sure to search this site as all the info you need is here and read the safety stickies. Good luck with your project :)