Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

In Depth Look - 532nm PGL-III-C 800mW!!!!

I have thought about potentially having the anodization stripped and having it polished, which would look amazing, IMO, but I am unsure as to how feasible it would be and also how good it would look. Also, have thought about finding a button that would go well on the host and changing them out. My worries:

1. Warranty voiding. I am positive they wouldn't cover malfunctions after any modifications.
2. Feasibility. I am unsure as to how possible having this laser polished would be due to it being already put together. I worry about components getting metal shavings or anodization dust in them during the procedure.
3. It is a nice laser as it is, and looks professional, if not slightly bland.

Let me know what you a1ll think about that idea.

thanks,
Isaac

Personally I wouldn't risk a great laser for a better looking host. Function over form all the way!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I have thought about potentially having the anodization stripped and having it polished, which would look amazing, IMO, but I am unsure as to how feasible it would be and also how good it would look. Also, have thought about finding a button that would go well on the host and changing them out. My worries:

1. Warranty voiding. I am positive they wouldn't cover malfunctions after any modifications.
2. Feasibility. I am unsure as to how possible having this laser polished would be due to it being already put together. I worry about components getting metal shavings or anodization dust in them during the procedure.
3. It is a nice laser as it is, and looks professional, if not slightly bland.

Let me know what you a1ll think about that idea.

thanks,
Isaac

Hey Isaac, I agree 100% with you, it's not worth the possibility of damaging the laser, and voiding the warranty. :cryyy:
The host actually doesn't look bad as is, IMO, they look better in reality than in pictures.
My 589nm is going to stay stock. I spent way too much money to screw it up!

Personally I wouldn't risk a great laser for a better looking host. Function over form all the way!

well , since you. Guys live in the states anyway.
You can always have Dr Sam hit your laser with his magical spanner a few times if it inevitably gets contaminated.

Also.
lol at the Auschwitz syndrome.

Last edited:
I'm gonna break a finger..if you touch your PGL - relax Isaac- its a bitchen laser. Don't mess with it )

Last edited:
My 800mW 532 and my 2.5W 445 look roughly equal in person.

is this true for other people that have viewed these lasers side by side? i'm mainly getting a high powered green for the brightness but theres really no point if my 9mm build will be just as bright,

according to the relative laser beam brightness 800mw of 532 would be 4.78 x brighter than 2.4 w of 445,

Beam: (445nm 2400mw) vs. (532nm 800mw)

but even in the pictures you've taken they both look relatively the same in brightness,

maybe the brightness calculator is inaccurate :thinking:

care to shed some light on this? (excuse the unintended pun :p)

IsaacT

Well. After looking at them just now, here is my assessment. The beams are pretty close in terms of brightness. The dot on the 532 however blows the 445 out of the water.

thanks WBS, in your opinion is it worth the extra $$$ to get a high powered green such as the PGL-III-C over just using a 445 for beam viewing?

also with the divergence factor does the PGL-III-C superior divergence over a 445 allow it to visibly go much further?

thanks Isaac :beer:

IsaacT

In my opinion, 445 cannot hold a candle to a high powered 532nm for pure beam viewing pleasure. The 445 beam tends to spread farther than I would like, while the 532 appears to stay thin as far out as possible. Also, while blue is a cool color, the way that a high powered 532 just pierces the sky is spectacular.

Can you see the beam against a day time sky?
I can see my Dominator but only early in the morning, on relatively dark days.
Green should provide better contrast, even if the brightness is the same..

Last edited:
A pity. That settles one thing for me - I'm not in for a high power 532nm on the CNI GB.

How would 260mw compare to 800mw of 532? Wanting to get a optotronics 260 by the end of September for beam viewing and the awesome divergence. Does the extra power make beam visibility that much better to where it is worth paying more for a higher power laser?

IsaacT

I have owned a 260mW laser, and while beam was nice and beautiful, my 800mW blows it out of the water. This thing is so bright! And powerful!

How much brighter would you say? Would it look something like the beam shot you took of your CNI 800mw and your 100mw laser?