Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

importing lasers into the U.S.

ixfd64

OK, some people are saying that it's now illegal to import lasers into the United States. This would seem to explain why DX stopped shipping >5 mW lasers to the U.S. for the time being. However, I checked the news and I could find no recent mention of laser bans in United States. In comparison, the Australian laser ban had some media coverage. I also checked LaserGlow and NOVAlasers, both of which are Canadian companies, and their websites mention nothing about this recent "ban." However, several people are saying that it's illegal to use middlemen to import lasers into the United States. As far as I know, it's only illegal to import a laser if it does not have safety features.

So, is there really a new laser ban, or is the FDA only enforcing the regulations more strictly now? Does anyone want to fill me in on what exactly is going on?

ixfd64 said:
OK, some people are saying that it's now illegal to import lasers into the United States. This would seem to explain why DX stopped shipping >5 mW lasers to the U.S. for the time being. However, I checked the news and I could find no recent mention of laser bans in United States. In comparison, the Australian laser ban had some media coverage. I also checked LaserGlow and NOVAlasers, both of which are Canadian companies, and their websites mention nothing about this recent "ban." However, several people are saying that it's illegal to use middlemen to import lasers into the United States. As far as I know, it's only illegal to import a laser if it does not have safety features.

So, is there really a new laser ban, or is the FDA only enforcing the regulations more strictly now? Does anyone want to fill me in on what exactly is going on?

The law has always said that it is illegal to import any pointer greater than 5mW without the correct safety features or an accession number from the FDA. 'no safety features' basically includes everything on KD and DX. There are a couple lasers on DX that do have the accession number, but I don't think DX is aware of this, or paypal didn't make their demands clear enough for DX to understand that SOME >5mW lasers are ok (the labby and modules for example).

Australia had no regulations in place that I know of, which is why adding a laser ban made the news. But as far as the laws in the US go, they've been around for a long time so there's no sense in reporting 'enforcement' since they should have been enforced from the start.

yep its been illegal for quite some time, a lot of people have been confused about this and think its some new law.

but in fact its not its just now being enforced on bigger sites and importers

its kinda funny cuz i ordered 2 pointers from dx(granted they were <5mw) but there was nothing written on the customs label and customs didnt even open the package! ::)

^What they said.

If I remember correctly, the FDA rules apply to any laser manufactured in or imported into the United States since 1976. It's not anything new, except the FDA has moved to close this hole through which people could easily break the law.

Justin

If you are concerned about this new enforcement action just buy a laser which has the 5-point safety system and an FDA accession number! It's only illegal to import non-approved lasers so as long as you stick to legal products like Laserglow's (*shameless plug!*) you will be fine.