Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IMPORTANT LASER SAFETY NEWS (PLEASE READ)

Federal Laser Product Performance Standards, considers 0.385mW. to be the MAXIMUM AMOUNT of LASER LIGHT that should be ALLOWED into your EYES! :eek: This information was collected from 3 different sources;#1-CDRH (CENTER FOR DEVICES & RADIOLOGICAL DEVICES, #2-ANSI (AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE, & #3-OSHA (OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH ADMINISTRATION :eek: I thought that this was important enough to post so EVERYONE would be aware of how SMALL of an amount of laser radiation has the POTENTIAL to do damage to your precious eyesight! So, PLEASE, for your own peace of mind, PROTECT YOUR PRECIOUS EYES! You only have two, & there ain't no more!

Razako

phoenix77 said:
Federal Laser Product Performance Standards, considers 0.385mW. to be the MAXIMUM AMOUNT of LASER LIGHT that should be ALLOWED into your EYES! :eek: This information was collected from 3 different sources;#1-CDRH (CENTER FOR DEVICES & RADIOLOGICAL DEVICES, #2-ANSI (AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE, & #3-OSHA (OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH ADMINISTRATION :eek: I thought that this was important enough to post so EVERYONE would be aware of how SMALL of an amount of laser radiation has the POTENTIAL to do damage to your precious eyesight! So, PLEASE, for your own peace of mind, PROTECT YOUR PRECIOUS EYES! You only have two, & there ain't no more!
By allowed into your eyes you mean looking straight into the laser for an extended period of time? Last I checked 5mw was safe because your blink reflex will save you from a direct hit.

Hi Razako, I don't know about you or anyone else, but I'm not taking a chance on a blink being the difference between blindness or sight! I've been wearing glasses since I've been 6 years old, & I don't want to take a chance with whatever sight I have, corrected or not. But, that's just MY $0.02 worth of opinion! Take it for what it's worth, but I'm not taking chances with MY eyesight ;)BE COOL, Phoenix77

By the looks of your signature, you don't have to fear loosing your eyesight, while we do :)

If I pointed a fusion in my face, it would modehop and the beams would just graze the sides of my face, successfully saving my eyesight.

Hi SPYROROCKS, LOL, although they are WL products, none of them mode-hop. I did have that problem with my 1st Pulsar125, but I RMA'd it & problem fixed. But, seriously, protect ur eyes at all cost. Don't trust a blink. You can be blind in the (almost) blink of an eye! ;) BE COOL, Phoenix77

well then technically i should be blind because ive accidentally looked into my X75 twice from reflections. Ive had a retinal picture taken and i don't even have burns. but i guess its because im Irish ;D

MB500

Thats a good little fact to know. Gotta get me a .385mW green.

Chad

Phoenix, man, I hate to rain on the parade here, but non-DPSS reds can't mode-hop. ;)
And, I've caught several reflections from my 125mW CNI, and no damage so far. But it's enough that I always wear goggles now.

This is a FACT.
There is a REASON that <5mw lasers are classed as 'safe' by the FDA.
A laser 5mw or less WILL NOT do permanent damage to your eye IN THE TIME IT TAKES TO BLINK AND TURN AWAY.
A <5mw laser IS NOT SAFE to look directly into deliberately, whereas 0.385mw is the maximum for this.

To all those who replied to my post about laser safety, & the ones that didn't, I wasn't trying to preach or lay down any kind of law. I was just passing on some information I thought might be beneficial to those who chose to heed it! Those who don't, well, that's up to them. They'll have to deal with any possible consequences, I hope that they don't but fate is a fickle bitch! Why take a chance on the blink of an eye! ;)Be Cool :cool: Phoenix77

phoenix77 said:
Hi SPYROROCKS, LOL, although they are WL products, none of them mode-hop. I did have that problem with my 1st Pulsar125, but I RMA'd it & problem fixed. But, seriously, protect ur eyes at all cost. Don't trust a blink. You can be blind in the (almost) blink of an eye! ;) BE COOL, Phoenix77

You must have gotten the first mode-hopping diode red laser.

Only DPSS lasers can modehop, the pulsar is a diode laser with no driver.

I don't think he said the pulsar mode hopped, he just said he had a problem with it ;)

Razako

phoenix77 said:
To all those who replied to my post about laser safety, & the ones that didn't, I wasn't trying to preach or lay down any kind of law. I was just passing on some information I thought might be beneficial to those who chose to heed it! Those who don't, well, that's up to them. They'll have to deal with any possible consequences, I hope that they don't but fate is a fickle bitch! Why take a chance on the blink of an eye! ;)Be Cool :cool: Phoenix77
A 5mw laser isn't going to blind you in the blink of an eye. At worst you might have a little dark spec in your vision for a couple of days.

Switch

I witnessed plenty of retarded people shining keychain reds in their eyes deliberately.Just like they always shine a bright LED or a flashlight to see if they can "take it" :p I guess you couldn't get permanent damage from a 5mW unless you really tried.

A friend of mine that wanted to play with my dvd laser,( even though the first thing I said to her was "Ok, but for chrissakes and for heaven's sakes and for Pete's sakes and for your sakes too( ;D) don't even think about shining it in anyones eyes" , and lit a match just too prove why...) the first thing she did was point it to my face and turn it on....talk about stupidity :p I swear I would've slapped her if she wasn't a girl.

iewed

One of my "special" friends took my DX 30mW, ran away from me, and shone it in his eyes for about 1 minute. He doesn't seem any different, but he might have retnial burns or something like that.

iewed said:
One of my "special" friends took my DX 30mW, ran away from me, and shone it in his eyes for about 1 minute. He doesn't seem any different, but he might have retnial burns or something like that.
1 MINUTE?!?! Man does your friend have laser resistant eyes or something??
Now that everybody is talking about getting hit in the eye with lasers, one time I got a direct hit in the eye with my X105 :eek: for a split second, my friend was about 10 feet away and he tripped on a stick(lol!) and he hit me in the eye for a tiny split second. I was flash blinded for a few minutes but after that I was fine.