Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IMPORTANT LASER SAFETY NEWS (PLEASE READ)

styropyro said:
1 MINUTE?!?! Man does your friend have laser resistant eyes or something??

well if he can take a bullet to the eye...

superman-returns-intl.jpg

diachi

lol, if u think about it seriously, you can look into the sun for a few seconds an be ok, and <5mw lasers are no where near as bright, so the most that'll happen is like if u look at the dot when ur burning using a magnifing glass , ur sight goes a bit funny for a few minutes then it starts getting normal again, so it probably wont cause permanent damage, but it will cause some, so just dont  do it

Diachi said:
lol, if u think about it seriously, you can look into the sun for a few seconds an be ok, and <5mw lasers are no where near as bright, so the most that'll happen is like if u look at the dot when ur burning using a magnifing glass , ur sight goes a bit funny for a few minutes then it starts getting normal again, so it probably wont cause permanent damage, but it will cause some, so just dont do it
First off he did it with a 30mW green :eek: And second, it doesn't matter how bright the laser is, it matters how the light source reacts on your eye. Lasers get focused down to a tiny tiny point on your retina unlike sunlight. Also, you can't even see IR lasers and they will damage your eyes faster than the sun.

Switch

And your pupils are very very small on a sunny day outside ::) You could probably shine a 5mW in your eyes on a sunny day at the beach and it would seem way dimmer.

Switch said:
And your pupils are very very small on a sunny day outside ::) You could probably shine a 5mW in your eyes on a sunny day at the beach and it would seem way dimmer.

Exactly so.

Try looking at the sun with dark adapted eyes.

styropyro said:
it doesn't matter how bright the laser is, it matters how the light source reacts on your eye.

How the light reacts to your eye determines how bright it is. 50mW of green will do more damage than 50mW of red.

Switch

it matters how the light source reacts on your eye.
Yeah....I think it's the eye that reacts to the light source guys ::)
50mW of green will do more damage than 50mW of red.
I think it screwes with your perception of the colour green first more than anything else :-/

Chad

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1208120226/15#18 date=1208177834] it doesn't matter how bright the laser is, it matters how the light source reacts on your eye.

How the light reacts to your eye determines how bright it is. 50mW of green will do more damage than 50mW of red.[/quote]
that's like saying that IR won't do anything because you can't see it. <.<

No.

It won't. It's easier to get, say, flash-blinded by a 50mW green than with a 50mW red, because it's brighter. But, you'll get basically the same retinal burns, loss of vision, etc. no matter what the wavelength. (Unless it's far IR and UV... those are different. :p)

In theory, a green laser will cause more damage because of that the blood is red. The green light will be absorbed the and burn the retina more severely.
I could be wrong though.

Switch

Not only the blood.Green appears brighter because of the eye, not because of how our brain processes the information it gets.Substances in the retina are more sensitive to green light and will be damaged faster and easier than from red or IR.Really deep IR reacts totally different to just about anything than visible light.UV is different because it screws with DNA and causes mutations aswell as messing up pigments in the skin causing "sunburns".

Ace82

Since we are on the topic of shining our lasers at our or someone else's remaining eye, I thought I would tell you a brief story that made me cringe. One of my friends wanted me to shine my DIY red in his eye. I believe it's somewhere near 60mW. I said, "NO WAY!", then a third party friend said I'll do it. I told my friend that he will permanently damage his eye, and that it is equal in power as my DX 150 (small lie)although appears much dimmer and NOT TO DO IT. But he said "F-dat. I'm a man and I know I can take that shit". I said, "I'm a man too, and I would NEVER do that to myself or any one else". To make a long story longer, he held if for about 10sec. He said he couldn't focus with that eye for over a week! He said everything was bury. I believe he slightly permanently burned his retina. I tried to convince him not to do it, but he did it anyway. I cringed when I saw it and found no amusement in it although they both thought it was funny as hell.

His eye may not be noticeably damaged (but how do you compare??? My sight before I was stupid/drunk/careless enough to look directly into the beam, and after??!!), but if this were to reoccur again and again, I’m sure he will go blind quick. Can’t you feel when your eye is being damaged? Doesn’t the sensation of pain occur? I hope to never find out! ::)

Question: I’ve always been very cautious with IR because I’ve been taught that it harms your eyes although it is completely invisible (to our eyes) and even though it spreads and isn’t concentrated to a single beam. WHY??? :-?

Razako

Ace82 said:
Since we are on the topic of shining our lasers at our or someone else's remaining eye, I thought I would tell you a brief story that made me cringe. One of my friends wanted me to shine my DIY red in his eye. I believe it's somewhere near 60mW. I said, "NO WAY!", then a third party friend said I'll do it. I told my friend that he will permanently damage his eye, and that it is equal in power as my DX 150 (small lie)although appears much dimmer and NOT TO DO IT. But he said "F-dat. I'm a man and I know I can take that shit". I said, "I'm a man too, and I would NEVER do that to myself or any one else". To make a long story longer, he held if for about 10sec. He said he couldn't focus with that eye for over a week! He said everything was bury. I believe he slightly permanently burned his retina. I tried to convince him not to do it, but he did it anyway. I cringed when I saw it and found no amusement in it although they both thought it was funny as hell.

His eye may not be noticeably damaged (but how do you compare??? My sight before I was stupid/drunk/careless enough to look directly into the beam, and after??!!), but if this were to reoccur again and again, I’m sure he will go blind quick. Can’t you feel when your eye is being damaged? Doesn’t the sensation of pain occur? I hope to never find out! ::)

Question: I’ve always been very cautious with IR because I’ve been taught that it harms your eyes although it is completely invisible (to our eyes) and even though it spreads and isn’t concentrated to a single beam. WHY??? :-?
Reminds me of those idiots back in middle school and their "who can look into the 1mw red for the longest amount of time" games.

Razako

freshert said:
is looking at the dot on a wall of a kd 50 alright?
Depends on how close the wall is, how dilated your pupils are and the color of the wall.