Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Im new to lasers......have any tips or recommendations?

Hello I am new to lasers...
okay so I only have 2 cheapy red 5mW lasers
I bought a $15 green 50mW (2 AA batteries) from Focal Price a week ago and Im waiting for it to come...it should be any day now. I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube on different lasers and stuff.

So do you guys have any recomendations on good lasers. I want to buy more lasers. I was looking at the Rayfoss website and I want to get one of those water proof lasers. Does Rayfoss have good lasers? I want a laser that you dont have to press the buton down for it to stay on.

Also I live in Hawaii. So would a laser more than 5mW get "confiscated" in customs. Also how do these websites that sell lasers manage to mail high powered lasers into the U.S?

Okay thanks....

Welcome to the forum!
All the info you seek is already on our forum, just do a little research and reading and you will find it. Start with the stickies.
Enjoy the world of lasers!
28047d1279013212-445nm-1w-beam-doom-update-1w-18650-build-1279010948690.jpg

DJNY

My tip is also, read around the forum ;)

WELCOME :wave:

Welcome to the forum.
Unless you plan on using it underwater a lot, don't buy a waterproof one. The second lens used to WP it causes problems. It will need to be kept perfectly clean to avoid artifacts and halos.
Also, they leak sometimes and ruin the laser.

Your laser will probably be around 20-30mW, not 50mW.
Buy from Rayfoss or O-like if you want true (or over) power.

I don't know about Hawaii, but getting a laser in to the continental states is no problem, they mark it as a flashlight or pen. I have never heard of a (single) Rayfoss or O-like getting confiscated.

Kevlar

Welcome to LPF!!! :wave:

Look around and use the “Search” function, it is very helpful if you’re looking for some specific information. If you don’t find what you want the first time try different “key words”.

A good place to start is here, the “Rules & Stickies” section: http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/

Enjoy your stay!! You will find this a great community with lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people here. :beer:

Check out the "companies" section, you should find some answers to your rayfoss question there.

In order for them not to get confiscated, they usually ship the laser labeled as <5mW. If you order a kit with which includes the laser, batteries, and charger, they will send the batteries separate so customs can't power it up and check it.