Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Im going to hong kong, Any lasers?

I was visiting there last November. Saw a lot of the same cheaper laser pens and gadgets at Temple Street and Stanley Market. Nothing too exciting laid out except for this one 405nm (I assume) pointer style that was priced about 1200HKD at Stanley. Visually it was only slightly less bright than the 30mW (confirmed on a LaserBee) green laser that I bought and it burned through a black plastic bag almost immediately. In hindsight I should have tried to haggle on it. If only to measure it's actual output.

Note: the batteries that come with it are crap as you might guess. Use them until the laser dims, then make sure they are the only batteries with your laser when you go home!

if drug lords can do it with drugs, then you should be able to do it with a laser.

Tterbo... My suggestion is put the dismattled laser into your luggage, then put end caps and batteries on carry on. That will be your best bet. BTW I'll send you some money to get me an exotic laser while your there... I'll PM you later.

You should buy some cheapass flashlights, gut them and put the laser in it... make sure the flashlight is metal so it doesn't go through on the xray!

Put it in your prison wallet.

Should make some good times and funny newspaper articles after you try to walk through the metal detector.

:crackup:

I went to Thailand last year and I brought back a "200mW" greenie (took the label off)

They didnt scan my bag though.

Try to declare something, and they might not scan your bag. If they do scan it and find it, say you didnt know they are illegal and they will just tell you not to bring them in again.

I imagine they wouldnt really care about anytihng electronic on x rays anyway since hong kong IS one of the major electronics places in the world and you could be bringing back just about anything

They don't check guys. Hong Kong runs on Asian legal system and that is they don't follow any rules.
HongKong doesn't care about laser pointers not does airport security unless you are flashing them around. PERIOD!!

TTerbo

yeah but onve i get through hong kong customs i get on a plane arrive in sydney then go through aussie customs :p

They don't check guys. Hong Kong runs on Asian legal system and that is they don't follow any rules.
HongKong doesn't care about laser pointers not does airport security unless you are flashing them around. PERIOD!!

They're talking about getting the lasers back into Australia, which would be TTerbo's homeland, and they have very strict customs.

If modules are like electronic components, I would just unscrew the battery ends and put them in another bag seperate frome the working end of the laser, after all they are just metel tubes or ends. put the module ends in you luggage and split it up into two packages in two different bags and mark the packages electronic parts. This way there are not complete units capable of emmiting light, thus only electronic parts or components ;) don't even bother bringing the batteries back they arn't even worth there weight to carry, and they do look for batteries in luggage with x-rays. so battries are just a target, don't carry them on airlines, period ! unless you want to draw attention to your self :scowl:

If they are the typical "pen" style, definitely dismantle them. I'm sure they would be fine if they were dismantled and kept in your luggage.

I would definitely be interested if you are willing to buy a laser for an Aussie :D

P.S I hear they sell lasers in the back alleys as if they were drugs LOL :crackup:

Here's another idea.

Buy from an online vendor such as eBay, DealExtreme or Rayfoss.

Have them ship to your Hong Kong address.

Once they get there, dismantle them, and stuff the modules in your luggage while mailing back the rest of the stuff (tailcaps, chargers etc.)

Or give those parts to another family member to carry, or have them split between your luggage and carry-on.

As long as there isn't something with LASER POINTER written across the top of it, like most of the boxes do, you should be fine.

If they do disassemble down to a state where there's a bare module exposed, that's only attached to a battery tube, you may not need to remove stickers. If they ask say it's a part of a labbie. If it has an obvious power button or so, then remove the sticker. Have a sheet of blank sticker backing so you can keep the stickers.

If they're focusable, DE-FOCUS THEM COMPLETELY AND LOCK THEM IN THAT STATE. That may involve jamming the focusing mechanism with a nut, or a screw. That way if they actually turn it on, it'd look more like a flashlight than a laser pointer.

Either way, I'm going 532nm with jealousy (har har, sorry about that. Do I deserve to be pun-ished?). I've wanted a set of 5mW pens, but chances are that's never gonna happen.

Enjoy your time there, though. After all, Hong Kong is a laserist's wet dream.

And while you're there, get some Laserglow-style cases for your lasers, along with foam. Pack the parts in with the foam in the cases, and have them carry on. Only keep the part with the module in your luggage.

Anyway, there's only so much you can do about it. Good luck, and here's hoping you pick up some good toys over there.

TTerbo

thanks guys
i am probably going to just dissemble some modules etc.
cant wait to go now after reading hong kong is a laserist wet dream

It's true.

Keep your eyes open- the magical 593.5s and 473s really come to life there- and cheap too. Beats paying for overpriced stuff from Laserglow.

Stock up now, you never know when you get to go back.

Also- when you're shopping around- be sure to test the lasers (check for modehopping, etc.) and see if they can be easily disassembled. Fine, an RPL clone might be nice, but when you realise it doesn't come apart easily, that's always an issue.

Remember- if you have a home address over there/family, then pre-order online. Pick them up when you get there.

Things to look for (in order of priority)

Yellow Laser pointers/handheld lasers- There's bound to be a few obscure companies who haven't found the internet yet that make 593 or 589s. Find them. Buy them up with gratitude. Be sure to test them first for mode-hopping, power fluctuations, and most importantly, color shifting.

Blue DPSS laser pointes/handhelds -The DPSS blue is rare- same as the yellow- chances are you will be able to pick up a bargain. Keep your eyes wide open.

445nm pointers/handhelds/diodes- Not as rare as 473, however, it's still blue. Snap them up like there's no tomorrow.

Red handhelds- Yes, I know they're not popular. But a good red handheld that's slightly more elegant than a Dilda tops off any collection well. Look for 100/50mW red pens.

Hosts- If you see a cool host, or a host you absolutely love, but the module inside's a turd, don't worry about it. Buy it, hollow it out, and transplant diodes/modules around.

Parts- diode housings, drivers, lenses. You know what to look for. Now find it!

Last edited:
Also TTerbo, do NOT try to hide them inside some flashlight/instrument/etc. That will make them very suspicious.

TTerbo

lol il remember that^^^
when i am not surfing/playing soccer or at school or tinkering with lasers i play the saxaphone. and someone asked me if i wanna go on the tour to hong kong for a week or so. and i am going to stock up on heaps of shit!!!
cheers