Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ilegal to buy?

Diachi said:

well im never going to listen to you again, you just told someone new to the forum completely false information! not only was it false but it had to do with the law!

laserlover said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1220047610/0#1 date=1220047844]nope :)

well im never going to listen to you again, you just told someone new to the forum completely false information! not only was it false but it had to do with the law![/quote]

yeah that was definitely not cool.

wether its "technically" illegal or not its still illegal and you can get in a lot of trouble for it. just because "most" people dont get in trouble doesnt mean he is going to be as lucky.

diachi

How many reports have you EVER seen of someone being arrseted for importing a >5mW laser to the US ?

Anyway...

What about Aixiz?
They should be legal to import right?
I mean they sell modules, not complete lasers. So the end user is responsible for what use the laser has. Correct?
Are they compliant with the FDA?

diachi

Could get one of those 35mW DX modules, they are really good and WAY over 35mW.

RA- Yes, my understanding is that OEM components do not require the FDA safety features and such as long as it is more than trivial to make the component into a working laser.  OEM components are intended to be incorporated into working laser devices, and those devices should include all the FDA requirements when they are sold.  A diode or a diode in a module, I would say it is more than trivial to turn into a working laser device.  Unscrewing the cap off of a pen, I would say is still a laser device subject to safety requirements because it is only trivial to screw a cap back on.  

Edit to add: And I'm not so sure about the DX module - I guess it's a judgment call on whether it's already a laser device or just a component. I would argue that having to add a power supply, package it all and still solder it up before it would work would make it simply a component, because it is not trivial to make it into a working laser device. But it's your call, and you can certainly research it more on your own if you are in the US and are so inclined.

Diachi said:
How many reports have you EVER seen of someone being arrested for importing a >5mW laser to the US ?

I don't think that's the point. Likelihood does not translate into impossibility. Sure, people have never been arrested or charged with smuggling for >5mW lasers that we know of. But it could still easily happen. The FDA has clearly stepped-up enforcement by actually pursued the case all the way to companies in China. What's to stop them from upping the ante even more, by enforcing harsher punishments on people who break the law? The government would be completely within the law to enforce prison terms and huge fines as an example to others. They have increased their enforcement by going at Paypal, Dx, etc. The next logical step is to further increase enforcement on those breaking the law by actually prosecuting people they catch.

"It hasn't happened yet" and "it probably wouldn't get caught in the mail" are miles away from "no, it's not technically illegal, you won't get caught", especially with a new user who has no other knowledge of the subject (no offense Sefrez, that's why we ask questions. I applaud you for seeking the truth). I wouldn't want to be the first person that they decide to prosecute under this 30 year old law.

Maven

... i just wonder how many people have been prosecuted and we don't know about it...

diachi

I'm not saying that it's impossible for it to get caught, I'm saying that it is improbable for it to get caught, Not once did I say it wasn't illegal to import a laser pointer >5mW I said that It was illegal, but the chances of getting caught are slim.

It's like here in Scotland, there is a law against flying the Lion Rampant, but no one has EVER been arrested for it in the last 80 years, and hundreds of people still fly it.

"It technically remains an offence for citizens and corporate bodies to fly or wave the lion rampant flag under the 1672 Act of Parliament because the rampant lion flag is not a national flag. "

TECHNICALLY REMAINS AN OFFENCE .

There are many laws like that ALL around the world laws that make things TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL .

-Adam

diachi

You know what, I'm going to end this here, to save another flame war, theres been too many lately.

Yes it is illegal to import a laser >5mW into the US, but the chances of it getting caught are VERY SLIM, especially if it's being shipped from Toronto. That is why I said " Technically Illegal "just like the example I gave.

just wanna say

Sefrez said:
First off, yes I'm new here.  ;D

Anyway,

I live in the US. Would it be illegal for me to buy the 15mW X-Series from novalasers?
No I'm not planning on pointing at plains or cops cars.

right after you clearly say...

Diachi said:

thankfully you then said after that its "technically legal"

just please watch what you tell people especially new people. we want this forums to have truthful things on it not misleading information.

and by no means were we trying to flame at least i wasnt.

just trying to make the laws clear

diachi

Okay ... Glad thats ended :)

I see what you mean , It would have been a bit different if it wasn't someone new that had asked, and someone who understood better.

Some one mentioned it but you can of course legally order 100mw or whatever modules you want as long as they are for OEM use. And being there are no laws about its use in the meantime (from puchase to OEM use) guess you could use it. Just my theory on the whole thing.

I bought one and it clearly says it does not have to meet FDA regulations due to if being for OEM use.

aixiz is liscenced in the state of texas to sell incomplete lasers.

AixiZ provides OEM components which do not comply with FDA regulations regarding complete laser products. The end purchaser is responsible for properly installing the laser components into a finished product compliant with all local, state, federal and international regulations. For further information about compliancy please visit the FDA web site at www.fda.gov/cdrh Join our quickly growing family of customers in 25+ countries that depend on AixiZ for quality, fairly priced products. References are ALWAYS available.
Look at our one-of-a-kind, first to USA market items!

Our Laser Diodes and Modules are designed solely as an OEM component for incorporation into the customer's end products. Therefore, this laser do not and and are not required to comply with the appropriate requirements Of FDA 21 CFR, section 1040.10 and 1040.11 for complete laser products.

I would like to point out one thing.  I am CPF member and order heatsinks for modded lights from Taiwan.  Out of the three times I have ordered a batch, two have been cut open and re-sealed with green "inspected by border patrol" tape. So, yes- they do look in our packages from time to time.

-Mike[ch8592]