Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

iLaze - possible?

Switch

Well if you're gonna make that you're probably gonna have to re-wire the whole thing.I do't really see how you can rip out the Ipod's guts but still keep some of the parts....A lot of micro-fiddly-diddly the way I see it.I can see it done, maybe with a very simple circuit for the red laser.

Oh, and the duty cycle would probably suck as there isn't much room for heatsinking AND the modules would pretty much have to use the same heatsink....
AND I think iLaze is a very bad name for it, eventhough it's going to be built in an iPod case, I think putting an "i" in front of the name sucks major donkey b*llz ::)

I definetly want this laser to happen. If I make it myself, I will need A LOT of help. If someone else would be interested in making this for me I would be willing to negotiate a price. If interested, send me a PM , e-mail, or IM

A word of warning, the greenie will be +V to the case of the module, the red and the blue will be -v so the heatsinks will need to be separate/isolated.
In a tight space you need to be careful not to short them together.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
A word of warning, the greenie will be +V to the case of the module, the red and the blue will be -v so the heatsinks will need to be separate/isolated.
In a tight space you need to be careful not to short them together.

Regards rog8811

What diode would get hottest? that one you could probably use the entire backing of the iPod as a heatsink, no?

This is my idea for a 1st gen iLaze:

1st-gen-iLaze.jpg

I would like to rotate the silver backing 180° so that the firewire, LED aperture (former headphone jack) and Hold switch are at the bottom, and the laser apertures are on the top. I would want the hold switch to just keep any lasers from being activated, and have the buttons click on click off.

How much do you think it would cost me to build it if I do it myself, and how much do you think I should pay someone to do it for me.

The greens get hot very quickly as they use a high power IR pump diode, red would come next, blue is low current and stays pretty cool.

Regards rog8811

Things

You are going to have a problem geting the green laser in there, IIRC, Ipod aren't that thick, unless you got one of the old wide ones? The red and bluray would deffinatley be possible, and maybe you could even keep the original ipod battery and charger circuit in there.

heh I'm working on this for him. Not as hard as I had originally thought... those brick-pods have loads of room inside to work in.

yea bluefusion and I have been looking on ebay and they don't seem that hard to find. and yea i am planning on using a 1st/2nd generation iPod which are the biggest, and was planning on using the ipod battery to power the whole thing. I think the only thing that's delaying it is price.

I talked to my physics teacher, and he said i could get extra credit if i build this. I'm going to need A LOT of help with it though.

Good for you ;)! My teacher is not even interested in my blu-ray. I dont think that he knows what that is.

Do you guys think it would be at all possible for me to successfully build this? I have absolutely no experience with lasers other than little <5 mW red ones. Never built any or anything like that...

If you don't think it would be possible, or think it would take a long time or whatever, who is willing to take on this project?

well the problem is supply 4.5volts to the violet, buy a cheap 4$ flashlight fom dX and use the circuit and that would solve it