Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ignition coil driver

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
True, but he's only inputting around 10V after that isolation transformer. I have a video of around 24V and the ignition coil is doing closer to 60KV. One can also change the capacitor to be inline with the resonant frequency of the given transformer. I have also used these drivers on modified MOTs. Granted you do need a big ZVS driver and tank cap to drive them.

Not disagreeing with you about the resonant frequency.

! I never thought of driving a MOT that way. Hmmm, couple of beefy IGBTs, put the transformer in oil, maybe a motor starting capacitor for the tank....... That could be fun(y)

One can make a pretty potent X-ray power supply with a ZVS driven MOT and a HV cascade circuit!

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Well, the video above shows it can be done using an extra transformer. If you want to try driving an ignition coil directly with that circuit you'll need to swap out the toroid inductors with much larger ones (think 10-100mH) as the circuit will oscillate at a much lower frequency. But to be honest I see lots of blown MOSFETs trying that.