Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here

I think he means without anything on the end of the laser, he's getting that power.

Attempted delivery of mine this morning... sucks that I was in the shower when the EMS guy knocked on my door... now I gotta wait til Monday.

You should be able to pick it up from their nearest shipping warehouse.

YOUR JOKING ME RIGHT??????????
You mean to tell me you didn't even bother reading the safety manual FIRST??
I advise you do that,then wait a month before you use your laser.

I don't have the laser yet, so I also don't have the manual... I wanted to read the manual now, before the laser gets here. That's why I wanted pictures. If I had the actual manual in front of me I would just read that. I'm not a complete moron.

once the package leaves china usps takes over. ems never leaves china. go to the post office to pick it up.

You're getting that with the training lens? Does it just have a smaller aperture and no filtering on it?

I said in my original post

My arctic also came in today.

Im measuring 855mw and 935mw without the regular aperture cap. One thing i noticed is that it did not have the mw output drop that we have with our DIY, it held those output powers pretty steady.

But for clarification , 855 with the regular , non training, lens cap

935 with nothing , no caps, front ends, etc...

Wow -- So many useless posts for science. YES --- Some members are leaving LPF because of the blinding number of 445 posts. Count me in on that.
My testing shows that heat is not a friend of the 445 Diode and power out.
Dave -- can you confirm this heat relationship?

HMike

Morgan

Wow -- So many useless posts for science. YES --- Some members are leaving LPF because of the blinding number of 445 posts. Count me in on that.
My testing shows that heat is not a friend of the 445 Diode and power out.
Dave -- can you confirm this heat relationship?

HMike

Hey HM,

It's not my graph, (and I hope the owner doesn't mind me publishing), but I know the setup it describes and we think the drop off in power is due to the heat. I'll wait for Dave's input too but would also welcome the confirmation of my thoughts. I'm not always right on this stuff so having a hypothesis and an experienced eye would help me out.

Here's the graph at ~500mW output with a relatively small direct press heatsink. (More data I will have to find but currents may not be too relevant here, I think.). I have seen similar drops in my setups over time without graphing but as the heat increases, the power output drops. Merely anecdotal?

30wo3t1.jpg

Not an Arctic but this is kind of relevant. We can move the post I guess?

M
:)

Last edited:
Thanks Morgan for a bit of science here.

With only 500 mW on a 445, I'm guessing 650 mA with minimal mass cooling. It seems to exhibit some heat degredation over 30 seconds with two on periods spaced by an off cooling time.
We're starting to see data here now.

HMike

Heleno

Still can't find good pics of the manual, But in this Youtube vid he shows off manual (around 8:00). It's just too blurry to actually read, but he does describe it.

YouTube - ARCTIC SPYDER 3

Ah! TriGun! you share my opinion!
i am craving to see this manual!
the cover looks nice! i want to see its content!
coulde anyone who already received the arctic please post pictrues of the manual?
pretty-please?! :wave:
hehehee
thx in advance!

Morgan

It still ain't an Arctic so I feel I'm threadjacking a touch but you're right, hard data is missing even from the home builds.

I would hope to be able to graph some outputs soon myself and if you're happy to receive a couple of PMs then a conversation could help me?

As to mA of this one, I'm not sure. I seem to have had more efficiency out of my ones but the PMs may clarify some questions I have here. The mass is fairly small though and the on/off time is accurate. I think I also notice that the heat hasn't fully dissipated after the 30 seconds off period, so output starts lower in the second burn, and ends lower too. It is a slightly longer burn here though. Does your keen eye agree?

M
:)

Here is the manual scans: (warning , may be clipped by my scanner, sorry)

3190-img-0001.jpg

3191-img-0002.jpg

3192-img-0003.jpg

3193-img-0004.jpg

3194-img-0005.jpg

3195-img-0006.jpg

3196-img-0007.jpg

3197-img-0008.jpg

3198-img-0009.jpg

3199-img-0010.jpg

3200-img-0011.jpg

3201-img-0012.jpg

3202-img-0013.jpg

3203-img-0014.jpg

3204-img-0015.jpg

3205-img-0016.jpg

Last edited:

Heleno

Oh hi again.
Still waiting for your arctics?
here are 3 new videos from youtube from this guy llvllidget
he has a crappy camera, but he is always in good humor.
If you don't wanna waste around 25 minutes watching all of his videos - i think i can tell you teh best of it:
He got good divergence unit.
He got issues with the 2 screws on the bottom of the arctic - he solved it by losing the one closer to the diode a half turn.
He complained his unit has scratches and other sorts of marks - the silver paint is also coming out a bit. Not only this, but there is thermal paste scateret all over one of the lenses.
He also said he DOESN'T know what is the training lens and what is the full power protective lens!
He said also that he ordered an extra pair of goggles and the cleaning pen - none of them came!
he also showed that there is inacuracy in the user manual about the way the battery goes in (could you guys put a definite answer to this question?)
and i think tha's all!
below follow his links:
Arctic Video 1
Arctic Video 2
Arctic Video 3

Post writing:
Thanks for the manual just above! it arrived while i was still writing this post! thanks a lot! gonna see it now!

zMd113

Mine will be here next week. I'll at least post pictures when I get it. I don't have a very good video camera or internet so my videos will be coming from my Droid Incredible.

Last edited:
Mine will be here next week. I'll at least post pictures when I get it. I don't have a very good video camera or internet so my videos will be coming from my Droid Incredible.

OH ok , well im glad you dated all of us with your priceless information.

Just got my arctic today, thought I'd share some beam & host pics.

I put them in a gallery rather than post them here, I hope that's cool:
Thumbnails

(As a side note, I've been coming to this forum since LONG before the arctic, I just haven't bothered registering until now :) Not here 'just for the arctic'!)

The spot photos are approx 18 feet away. One is taken at 1/800th sec exposure at f/1.7, the other 1/4000th second. The brightest part of the line is about a half inch, while the full line is about an inch.

The beam profile forms a rectangle at about 6 feet. Before and after it tends toward a line (of perpendicular orientations of course).

There is also a pic of the beam profile shining through the open glass cap, it is a 1/4000th sec exposure.

I tried focusing the beam with a very poor-quality acrylic lens. It seems to focus pretty well and burns through things with ease, even with the absorption from the acrylic and the distortion from some pretty bad scratches on the lens itself.

My biggest concern with the laser is that it doesn't seem to get very warm after being on for a minute. It really should at this power.