Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

if you offer "laser safety" advice please read

I am seeing a growing trend here of new members offering eachother wreckless safety advice. And just in general i see people offering just the bare minumum for safety... example. "can a 1 watt laser blind me"... real answer i read.... "you can look at the dot just don't look at the beam." if you aren't trained in laser safety, don't give out laser safety advice. and especially don't be sarcastic and say "oh no, lasers are safe". Remember that sarcasm doesn't translate through text.

When thinking of safety think of what is the best way to acheive it.... not what is the minimum i can get away with.

thank you for reading

michael

great post! Especially the part about being sarcastic.

I'm a HUGE fan of sarcasm. I use it daily... EXCEPT when discussing safety.

Excellent post! I think that all newbies like should have to read this. I don't even know why someone with out proper training and experience would try to give safety advice. Well anyhow Ive been reading and it seems people just open their mouth when they read a question regardless of weather they know their facts or not. It seems that there is more questioning and useless talk on the forum then there use to be. But that is just from what I have read. All in all the moral of this is to know the facts before you go talking about something that you really don't know jack about. :)

Take care everyone &
Be safe!

-Raj

"trained in laser safety"?? you dont have to be trained in gun safety to tell someone not to point a gun at someone else

Sadly some members don't understand that a laser can hurt oneself or someone else when not used properly. Its obviously common sense to most members but to others, common sense is entirely something else. Proper education and experience on the subject of lasers and laser safety makes it a better place for you and me. The point is that those who might point a laser into someone’s eyes or stair at the dot of the laser probably see
"laser safety" as another thing. Sad I know but it has to be said.

Take this young one for an example no safety glasses... far too young... and he has NO idea what he is talking about... plus he obviously is using the laser recklessly(luckily it looks like the laser is nowhere near 800 milliwatts or for the matter Megawatts lol): YouTube - 800 mw green laser in smoke

"trained in laser safety"?? you dont have to be trained in gun safety to tell someone not to point a gun at someone else

Quotes like this are exactly what i am talking about. :tsk::tsk: You assume people know, but guess what, they don't.
read this http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/looking-dot-spartan-1w-57875.html all the "safety" advice in there is varying. it's way too confusing when there are a bunch of people that really don't know what they are talking about.

for every video like this... there are probably millions of people that think just like it..

Michael

Last edited:
hahahaha that's hilarious, at least he's saving his own eyes and suggesting to look away haha, not like that's gonna help when the popos carrying you away for blinding some one!!

I can only look at my DIY LOC dot from the incident side. I noticed quickly that on the reflected side there is an extremely bright speckle pattern, even from matte surfaces. I would never point a laser in a manner that would get it reflected toward anyone, or any-cat. There is also speckle on the incident side, so I would not recommend anyone look at any dot up close without proper goggles...

There is also quite a lot of splash from some lasers, prolly mostly DIY without an aperture diaphragm. I am pretty sure it could blind you, I feel very uncomfortable around it even in OD4 goggles. So you cant even use these lasers as pointers if the person is standing next to the board and you wanna point toward them.

PLUS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! This made my day! Thank you so much for posting this video!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHA! This is exactly why you shouldn't talk about jack shit something you have no facts to back what you are saying! What an idiot!