Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If you cant see something is it still there?

Are you seriously questioning the existence of radio, ultraviolet, and others, or have I misunderstood your question?

Whether you're in an existential quandary or you just read the first paragraph of a philosophy textbook, I think the answer to this question is obvious. :yh:

You also might want to read Object permanence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If something, is at a wavelenth not measurable by you, yet occupies the same space, is it there or not."

*People at this time cannot provide evidence to prove existance. (not a religious question)

Blast hot air in your face, it's there! You just can't see it. Or a UV laser!

daguin

Measurable

Now I feel like im being trolled :p

Ask an existential question in a science related forum = get trolled hard
(and maybe grammar nazi'd)

One cannot prove that something that is not there, is not there
You can only prove that you cannot perceive or measure it

There is no way to prove that there is not a flying ********* monster hovering above me and watching over me while I sleep

Were gamma rays "there" BEFORE we puny humans could measure them?
Did they only come into existence when we developed the tool to measure them?
What if gamma rays are really only a "quirk/defect" in the tool we created to measure them?
What if they are actually not measuring anything at all?
What if our "measurements" are simply exposing a weakness in our "device"?

Were the planets and stars "there" BEFORE humans developed sentience?
How about before we existed?

Was there anything BEFORE the Big Bang?
What if M-theory is only exposing an interesting pattern in math (like Fibonacci numbers) that we just never recognized before?

You "say" that yours is not a religious question
I posit that it is
You are questioning the basis of belief

Now, fire up another bowl and consider whether our solar system is REALLY just one atom in a larger molecule,
that is part of a dust speck,
that is sitting on the badge,
that is pinned to the pocket,
of the uniform of a policeman in some super universe

OR

Consider that in your fingernail
is a cell
that holds a molecule
that contains an atom
that has a particular electron
upon which sits a policeman
who is flicking off
a dust particle from the badge
pinned to his chest

And down the rabbit hole we go
Good times, eh?

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
What if gamma rays are really only a "quirk/defect" in the tool we created to measure them?

^^I really like this one.

"Many people feel that in the contemplation of nature and in communication with other living things, they become aware of some kind of force, or something, behind this apparent mask which we see in front of us, and they call it God."
-Roman Kroitor

In reply to the above statement, "Similar phrases have been used extensively by many different people for the last 13,000 years to describe the 'life force,'".
-George Lucus

Personally, I say "maybe the force be with you", or whatever it is you believe in... I guess I am questioning our egotistical perceptions that we have the slightest grasp on not only what the world is, but how it works. Since even the slightest misbalance in the quarks that make up a tool could throw off our whole basis for knowedge on a given subject.

lol @ the pasta deity being inadvertently censored. I demand religious freedom! Do not censor people's gods!

:p I was catching up on physics and this is the problem that always comes up. Measurements in quantum physics. The very act of measuring an atom or particale changes it. Is it really there or is our act of looking for it, creating it :p I just wanted to see what people would say, but I didn't quite get the results I was looking for :p I like how the general notion now is that there is no matter. Just different wavelenths of energy.
Bingo! Every subatomic particle is a quantum hologram, therefore atoms are groups of quantum holograms in a specific pattern. Molecules are specific patterns of atoms, and so on. If we apply energy to disrupt or alter the pattern, we can alter the matter. Just as we can alter pretty much anything in our electromagnetic existence, including magnetism and gravity.

Everything currently accepted as fact in our reality is based upon our ability to interact with our environment electromagnetically. This includes our science, and the extremely limited instrumentation at our disposal. But just because something is not able to be seen or detected with all of our current instrumentation, does not mean that it does not exist at some other level. We exist in a vast "multiverse", with realities far beyond our meager ability to measure and detect that which we deem to exist. Well beyond mankinds ability to even grasp the complete concept. And no, I'm not talking about religion or belief, but the limitations that preclude us from seeing much beyond our simple electromagnetic existence.

As far as visibility is concerned, there are several methods available to cloak something. The simplest by far is to render an object transparent, and there have been many methods employed to do that. The next simplest method is to employ strong fields to bend visible light or other EM waves (such as radar) around an object. This has been done as well. A third and fairly complex method is to remove the object from normal spacetime. The object will still be there, but since it is outside of our normal spacetime, MOST of the shorter wavelength EM waves, such as visible light, will pass right through it. Some will not however, and this is the basis of cloaking detection technology. And that is all that I can say about that subject as it is still classified.

But I can share this much, since it's already being used in the public sector in a limited capacity. Google "laser grid" as it pertains to "ghost hunting". Some wavelengths of coherent light have the ability to slightly interact with energy and/or matter that is beyond our normal electromagnetic perception. This can manifest as shadows and/or distortions in the coherent light passing through a space, such as a room. These shadows or distortions will be visible in the emissions falling upon something, like a wall, that is beyond the point of interference. There have been many videos made of these events, and it may just be the beginning of the public starting to become aware that there is more to our existence than that which is commonly known and accepted by science as known by the masses. Eyes and minds are beginning to open to technologies that have been withheld from the public sector for far too long.

Bob